English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 08 March 2021, 22:04   #1
davidmcminn

Hello from a long time absentee

TL;DR Hello.

I just wanted to say "Hi" as a new member to these boards, although I've been an Amiga fan since before I owned one.

One of my mates had one when I was growing up. I managed to get an A500+ in 1992 mostly for playing games, although who didn't enjoy knocking things up in DPaintIII ? Eventually moved into programming; always wanted to write a game but wasn't cut out for it although I did write a few utilities. Upgraded to an A1200 later on, ended up expanding it to a Blizzard 1260, 16MB(?) memory, hard drive, Elbox PCI chassis and a Voodoo graphics card, in a custom tower. I still have it in the loft, but I haven't touched it in 15 years.

My kids are now at an age where we're looking to introduce them to computers, so while I'm on a nostalgia trip we'll be looking at the Amiga among others A more straightforward desktop experience plus some fun games.

However, I was surprised to see how much new activity is still going on in the community. It's pretty amazing. I bailed out after I didn't get my T-shirt (not bitter tho , AmigaDE was vapourware, and MorphOS had maybe only had it's initial release. Looking forward to see what's coming next.

Anyway, thanks for letting me in.
Old 09 March 2021, 00:01   #2
eXeler0

Welcome @davidmcminn ;-)

You should dig out that 1260, its like finding a bitcoin on your hadrdrive..;-)
It's a good time to get back to the community, it's crazy how much creativity thereĀ“s in the community at this moment in time... all these years later.
People are now doing in their basements what you needed big tech companies to do back in the day (replacement motherboards, accelerators, you name it)
There are all sort of interesting hardware projects going on and even Amiga OS itself is currently in development and we are looking forward to a new OS3.2 this year. (It sort of went back to the 3.1 sources and built on from there, so its newer than the higher versions (3.5, 3.9).

Cheers
Old 09 March 2021, 00:08   #3
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Welcome, welcome. It is so much fun going back to not only relive the pat, but experience the old with new eyes. Years of experience allows you to see things differently and maybe even do more with the old system than before.
Old 09 March 2021, 06:05   #4
chip

Welcome to the forum !
Old 09 March 2021, 10:29   #5
nivam

Welcome to the amiga fans forum!
Old 09 March 2021, 21:26   #6
davidmcminn

Thanks for all the welcomes folks
Old 09 March 2021, 22:52   #7
Torti-the-Smurf

Welcome back