English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 March 2020, 21:59   #4161
DamienD
Banned

Been testing Shadow Gangs for the past week or so, and just finished it tonight after over 40 hours of playing; and that's on Easy mode

Awesome game!!!
Old 28 March 2020, 02:18   #4162
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Come on, be a little more specific when asking for recommendations Are you asking for an Amiga platformer or will any (good) platformer do? Are you looking for a pure platformer or can it be a shooty one like Turrican?

Anything really. No limits. I suppose I like pure platforming over run and gun, but I do like both since I played Probotector on the NES long ago.
I still count Prince of Persia as one of my fav. games to this day!
(And Parasol Stars too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Yep, really... what kind of platformer are you looking for.

I probably used more save states playing MUSHA on Genesis and don't regret it. I was able to finish the game. Some stages I played like 50 times until I figured out what or how to do. (I know, I am slow learner)

I finished quite few platformers on Amiga, NES, SMS/GG, Genesis/MD, Snes to name few systems from the era, but what are you looking for really?
Musha and save states are understandable
I used a whole lot of them on R-Type CD on the PCE for the last boss recently. Damn, but that had me sweating!

I like most platformy and shooty things, I guess.
I finished Castlevania Symphony of the night again recently. 201% baby!

The best thing to happen to platforming since Super Metroid!!

I'm currently looking for alternate endings on Castlevania on the PCE CD. 70% finished atm!

Braid was probably the most recent platformer that I loved.
Didn't love Cuphead. Limbo was ok, but I found it either too boring or too hard. But it was gorgeous.
Old 28 March 2020, 03:07   #4163
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Metroid on GBA was lots of fun... I believe I finished only 1 of them, tho.While on GBA, Lady Sia and Castlevania Circle of the Moon are among games I completed on GBA.

If you like something different, play Castlevania on N64, one of rare N64 games I completed.

Lost Vikings was lots of fun to finish. (I played it on SNES, since is easier to play with multi buttons)
Old 28 March 2020, 20:59   #4164
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Played bit My Friend Pedro...

Old 30 March 2020, 22:47   #4165
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Playing Hellblade - Senua's Sacrifice. Already played it on xBox, and I like it more on computer. Great story, crazy horror / gore mix with Norse mythology... I already wrote before about this game, but if you have it (or can get it for cheap) - do it. Great game and story and game itself is art.

Check some of screenshots...

Old 31 March 2020, 11:05   #4166
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
Anything really. No limits. I suppose I like pure platforming over run and gun, but I do like both since I played Probotector on the NES long ago.
I still count Prince of Persia as one of my fav. games to this day!
(And Parasol Stars too!)
I can recommend the Monolith classic Captain Claw (or "Claw"), its a beauty of a classic PC platformer. It is also abandonware, if you google it you will find downloads for it, there is a fan site dedicated to it. The game never really lifted off because it was the last of beautifully hand animated 2D platformers in an age where all games had to look like Quake.
Old 31 March 2020, 12:22   #4167
dreadnought

The Adventures of Lomax, on and off occasionally on my PSX. I don't really like platform-gaming mechanic but some of these games are great so I play them for a bit anyway (until jumping gets too difficult/frustrating).

Tha major selling point of Lomax is its mindbogglingly beautiful 2D gfx, it's the best argument for why you really need a CRT in your life, because that's where it really shines. Of course, it came out when 3D was all the rage, and it's probably why it was largerly overlooked and under-rated. But the gameplay is very solid too.

The added bonus is its Amiga/Lemmings origin, something I only realized after a long time of playing.
Old 31 March 2020, 21:35   #4168
Nobby_UK

Mod on Skyrim that lets me join the Companions Circle
without becoming a Werewolf...

Guards now say I smell like wet dog --- LOL

This Quest line is quite buggy

And the 'Days a Werewolf' counter is active

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 06 April 2020 at 20:45.
Old 11 April 2020, 14:02   #4169
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Kingdom Come: Deliverance (cuz it was free). I was fearing I wouldn't like it because the game would feel too much like work, but so far I'm quite enjoying it (except for the horrible lockpicking mechanic - use a keyboard and mouse). It's as close as you can get to a Survival RPG Medieval Times Simulator. Its not often where in a game even your body odor is a factor you need to take care of. Or you need to actually learn to read before you can read books.

edit 150+ hours of playing later: ... I didn't think it would ever happen, but the game replaces Daggerfall as my favorite RPG of all time. What it lacks in fantasy (as in: no magic and dragons) it makes up for in escapism. I will be replaying this for the rest of my life. Hopefully some day, I will actually be good at sword fighting in this game. But until then being a thieving assassin is just as much fun.

Last edited by gimbal; 21 April 2020 at 10:47.
Old 20 April 2020, 20:33   #4170
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Thanks to Ian, playing NMS.

Also, still from time playing short games of EU IV, just collecting achievements. Also in there have another game that is on hard difficulty and will take forever to complete, since there is no ending in game...
Old 21 April 2020, 10:45   #4171
Twiggy
\m/

Trying to play Heimdall without running out of food/health all the time. Do others find this game easy to complete?
Old 23 April 2020, 10:55   #4172
vroom6sri

I've been playing Superfrog this past week or so by using the level codes to tackle a level at a time sort of like a daily 30 minute challenge and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's a simple but very well executed game and, by doing it a level at a time, I don't find it frustrating like I originally did trying to play my way through it from the start.
Old 23 April 2020, 18:53   #4173
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Black Dawn: Rebirth, Blastaway, and a looooooot of AmiSudoku.
Old 23 April 2020, 19:43   #4174
seuden
uber cool demi god

Using an app on my Note 10 plus I'm playing Civ 2, Imperialism and CM 0102.
God of War on PS3
Old 27 April 2020, 15:31   #4175
sparhawk

I was plaing Dead Space. I liked it, until I reached the asteroid field. Because I didn't like that part, I asked my son to do it (after I tried it for several days each with many retries). Well, he did it on the fourth retry , but now the steam has gone somehow.
Finished "Secret Files 2" and are now playing "Yesterday" which looks quite good.
Old 28 April 2020, 11:48   #4176
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
I was plaing Dead Space. I liked it
Ho boy. If you try Dead Space 2, please don't give up on it. It contains more hollywood-esque action sequences and by the sound of it you won't like that very much. Dead Space 2 basically does what Aliens did; take the concept of the original and make it more bombastic. However there is one infamous sequence quite late into the game that you just have to experience. Of all the gaming experiences that have left me gaping at the screen with dread, Dead Space 2 takes the cake so far.
Old 28 April 2020, 20:47   #4177
Nobby_UK

Still Skyrim:

Had to become a Vampire to Cure my Werewolf-ism

The cure for Vampirism was easy...

Paid the 5000 for the plot of land
and found materials to build a small house
= Windstad Manor.
Old 29 April 2020, 12:21   #4178
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I got the Minecraft bug again... it just takes one funny youtube video and I'm roped back in.

The fun part is that if you play the game like every 6 months or so, you get exposed to a very different world each time. Now there are bees flying around, wonderful.
Old 29 April 2020, 13:00   #4179
seuden
uber cool demi god

I'm at Ares, final boss in God of War.
Still plodding along with Civ 2, Imperialism and CM0102.
Completed Cadillacs and Dinosaurs using CoinOps on original Xbox with wife and son, we've started Knights of the Round.
Played about an hours worth of Doom 2016 on Xbox One.
I need to get back to work hahaha.
Old 29 April 2020, 13:18   #4180
Angus
Amiga Games Database

I'm in and out of Elite Dangerous, which is a long term thing for me, but this last couple of weeks I've been playing through the Atriedes campaign of Dune 2 on my 1200. I think I must have taken an easy route when I played it before because the penultimate mission (completed last night) was touch and go. It took me hours to finish and I was down to my last handful of spice!
I'm not really clear what the sonic tanks are good for over the normal missile vehicles, killing infantry maybe?