English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 05 June 2003, 11:42   #61
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Yes, its called turning the machine on, oh look, Instant Amiga.

Old 06 June 2003, 02:00   #62
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote
Huh? UAE version 0.8.8 already exists for the Amiga - it works great!
No confusion. I am suggesting a port of WinUAE, not plain old UAE. I want a version done by Toni. His version is by far leaps and bounds above the others.
Old 06 June 2003, 02:35   #63
jmmijo

and Toni seems to care about user suggestions/issues and attempts to fix/add them in the next release
Old 06 June 2003, 07:27   #64
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
No confusion. I am suggesting a port of WinUAE, not plain old UAE. I want a version done by Toni. His version is by far leaps and bounds above the others.
You know Twistin your 100% right on this one. I saw a demo of the Amiga One @ an Amiga club today. It was running PowerPc Linux and the Linux version of UAE. Man oh man is it limited compaired to Tony's version. They did not know how to make it full screen even. A lot less buttons and features on that version.

Last edited by Pyromania; 06 June 2003 at 09:59.
Old 06 June 2003, 09:35   #65
fiath

We would also *love* to see WinUAE ported to a gcc environment and therefore to Amiga. If anybody does this it means we have some porting to do ourselves.

There are few "protected" original games that would work with UAE as it stands, and many non-proetected ones that just wouldn't work. None would work with certain protections. Of course, it does not support the CAPS plugin anyway, so the point is moot.

Problem is, who would do it? We might have had a go, but unfortunately, we are very busy with other things...

I will pay 100 EUR to the person who ports WinUAE to gcc and the Amiga. (just kidding! I'm broke! Those damn eBay Amiga games! They want it... They want... to be preserved)
Old 06 June 2003, 12:02   #66
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, the Amiga needs to be able to emulate itself before the PC deserves such a priviledge.
Old 06 June 2003, 13:23   #67
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I don't want to burst your bubble, but don't you think that "WinUAE"-port would be a bit slow? I think UAE 0.8.8 is just right for the Amiga.
Old 06 June 2003, 13:40   #68
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
I don't want to burst your bubble, but don't you think that "WinUAE"-port would be a bit slow? I think UAE 0.8.8 is just right for the Amiga.
It depends on which Amiga you plan on running it on. There's a lot of different Amigas out there and none of them have the bottleneck of Windows, so it should be somewhat of a tradeoff (an Amiga version should also take advantage of the machine like any good program should do).
Old 06 June 2003, 14:14   #69
Jambo
Yarr!

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania
You know Twistin your 100% right on this one. I saw a demo of the Amiga One @ an Amiga club today. It was running PowerPc Linux and the Linux version of UAE. Man oh man is it limited compaired to Tony's version. They did not know how to make it full screen even. A lot less buttons and features on that version.

I think you're confusing lack of a GUI with usefulness. If they didnt know how to make it full screen then they didnt 'RTFM'.
Old 07 June 2003, 01:07   #70
fiath

Quote:
I can't see why the latest enhancements would slow UAE down a great deal... But even if they did, what would you rather have? Incorrect emulation?

Old 08 June 2003, 19:12   #71
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

No, I don't want incorrect emulation, but usable emulation. PPC-233 MHz is already a top-class Amiga (I don't have any PPC, so the question is purely academic for me). Try running newer versions of UAE (whatever port) on a comparable PC or Mac with an operating system of your choice. That is a huge difference compared to 0.8.8!
Old 09 June 2003, 07:56   #72
IFW

Emulating an Amiga properly for gaming is a huge effort and super intensive cpu wise. All you need for that is massive amount of horsepower (and still very decent programming skills!). P4, Athlon and G4 class cpus are good enough for the task of 100% emulating an... A500
There are no shortcuts to be made (and still expect compatibility for gaming...) depending on the hardware or os for your emulator, so there is nothing to be gained regardless of it running on Linux, BeoS, Windows, AOS, MOS or OS4 for that matter.
So the ppc is out of question for that task.

If you are talking about applications if they don't do anything "nasty", no smc (self-modifying code) etc. a jit compiler can run properly even on a lower ppc card without any problem and possibly much faster, than any native 68k code.

UAE gets slower since it tries to emulate things much more correctly hardware wise, than the versions mentioned here.
It won't get any faster, though most of the things needed to be done for better hardware emulation is already in, so don't expect it to be getting much slower from the actual version (unless with visual and mixing effects added, but that is not related to the emulation core itself).
Even emulating the fdc (floppy disk controller) how it works in the real thing requires considerable cpu time when cell density is emulated (it is since last December) for better compatibility with original games, imagine the rest...

That's why there are emulators like Amithlon etc.: they are superfast, they don't need to care about hardware access, nothing at all, just 68k emulation.
Running practically a cpu core - especially when it is single cpu, not cycle exact etc - with some simple added stuff is much easier and a hell lot faster, than proper emulation with hardware access.

If you want to run legacy (non-power pc or Gx) applications Amithlon, Petunia, etc. basically barebone 68k emulators with basic AOS specfic stuff added is strictly the way to go, it won't get any faster than that. If you want gaming there is no alternative for decent emulation, and you'd need massive cpu power for that and specifically for something as complex as the Amiga for real is. In arcade emulation terms of speed it requires about the same horse-power as emulating a multi-cpu/mcu 16 bit hardware, and that is a bleeding lot.
Old 11 June 2003, 12:06   #73
Pyromania

AmiZilla Major Site Update

http://www.discreetfx.com/AmiZilla.html

New! AmiZilla Mascot by Eric Schwartz now online. Thank you Eric for all the hard work and effort you put into designing her.

NEW! AmiZilla FAQ Update

NEW! Hot CoCo briefly announced. This project will kick off after AmiZilla is a success. Info about it is in the AmiZilla FAQ.

New! AmiZilla Guidelines, thank you Targhan for coming up with most of the AmiZilla guidelines.

New! Amiga Arena interview now on the AmiZilla website for easy reading.

New! AmiZilla Mailing List has over 119 members and over 120 messages. Messages are not about basket weaving they are about coding. Keep in mind this mailing list is less than 3 weeks old.

Booty now @ $3696.

Keep in mind that the AmiZilla Project needs you to be successful. The booty is almost @ $4000 which is a nice amount of money. If only one programmer was working on the port this would be a nice reward. However several programmers are working together. Once money is split among coders the booty is not big enough. Please contribute if you can, every dollar helps motivate programmers to make the AmiZilla Project a success.

About AmiZilla

The goal of the AmiZilla effort is to raise such an obscene/huge amount of money to give away to the first programmer/team that can port Mozilla to Amiga/Compatible systems that programmers will be falling over themselves getting this application coded in record time.

About DiscreetFX

DiscreetFX has been creating software products for the Amiga, video editing & computer generated graphics (CGI) industry since 1995. The Amiga computer defined and created the video editing, computer graphics market with its birth in 1985. DiscreetFX creates Real-time transitions and effects seen on over 100 television programs including Blind Date, 5th Wheel, Shipmates and more! You can also see DiscreetFX software used on the following networks HBO, Showtime, Discovery Channel, PBS, Fox and more!
Old 11 June 2003, 15:45   #74
Pyromania

Slashdot finally thinks we are worthy

http://developers.slashdot.org/devel...&tid=98&tid=99

I guess a couple of large Lizard boobs on the AmiZilla Mascot convinced them to see the light. Gaze into my breasts oh /. and make me worthy enough to be mentioned on your site.
Old 11 June 2003, 19:49   #75
Pyromania

Booty @ $3832.50

Booty = $3832.50
Old 11 June 2003, 19:51   #76
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Slowly climbing.

How many more people do you think are going to donate, realistically?
Old 11 June 2003, 20:19   #77
Pyromania

One can never know, Genesi (MorphOS) claim they will match all funds if certain conditions are met.

Last edited by Pyromania; 11 June 2003 at 20:41.
Old 12 June 2003, 04:28   #78
Pyromania

Booty now @ $4045.45

Booty now @ $4045.45
Old 26 June 2003, 11:44   #79
Pyromania

An interesting contributor to the AmiZilla effort from a rather large software company in Redmond.

Booty now @ $4122

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:57:30 -0400
To: mscasup@microsoft.com
Subject: AmiZilla
Thank for your interest and or donation to the AmiZillaFund. Before you know it we will be enjoying a version of Netscape on the Amiga. Keep the Dream Alive.
Old 29 June 2003, 18:45   #80
cv643d

So MS donated 100 bucks?