English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 03 February 2008, 00:55   #1
Talkie

Bin Editor - Change Music ?

Hello,

I recently found a cue+bin file of an old cd32 game that is having some problem: the music tracks don't start at the beginning of each cut but some 30 sec in the previous song.

So what I did is copied all these tracks and edit them to have them play correctly, but then I tried to copy just the game file from Daemon drive on cd-rom with the new music tracks on second session instead of the music from the Bin in Daemon (hope you follow me).

Well, Winuae doesn't recognize the cd. At all. I am presuming there si something really important in the order of the files themselves (hence the use of a Cue), and so I'm wondering if there is any software (free by preference because I'm only going to do this once), in which I can edit the Bin file by replacing the music tracks with MY track edits.

I tried to convert to Iso and look inside the files with another software,
but that software never saw the audio tracks. I think it would be simplier to just edit the bin directly, Sort of like Daemon but...editable, does that exists ??

Thanks for any help,

talkie
Old 03 February 2008, 01:24   #2
demoniac

The cue file is just a text file. You can rip out the first track (using something like IsoBuster), which I assume is the data file. Then, have a WAV file for the CDDA. Next, have a cue file that's something like:

FILE "Track 01.iso" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "Track 02.wav" WAVE
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 01:58:00
Old 03 February 2008, 02:06   #3
Hewitson

Also you want it to be a single-session disc.
Old 03 February 2008, 03:47   #4
Talkie

Hmmm..ok. I'm not sure I understand well.

It sounds like you're saying "go ahead, just put the data files and the new music" on one cd but then re-write the cue sheet mentioning that the files are Wav.

You see, what's happening is I used a a couple free bin extractor, but for some reasons they only extract the data parts. They don't see the audio parts like Daemon does. It would be easy for me to just disc-copy from Daemon and get both the data files and the audio files (starting at track 2), but the point is I want to replace all the audio tracks with mine.

Roxio permits that, a one session where I put the data files first and the audio right after.

Basically the big problem is that, I get a cd with all the data files and new audio tracks like I dreamed to have, but Winuae does not recognize it as it would a normal cue + bin burn.

Is there a simplier way around this like, trying to tell Winuae which file they must start with on the cd ? Why are cue files edits so necessary ??
For example, a PC and Dosbox would need to simply me having to trigger the magic file that starts the it all, but I don't understand what it is that Winuae CD32 expects from my cd when it does have all the files (data in track 01 and the audio starting at track 02). I don't see the cue file pointing to any precise data file as the starter file, so I'm wondering why Winuae can't just recognize the data and seek the file it earns.

If I really do need to edit the Bin, I was interested in a program that can recognize audio tracks in a Bin file so I can just cut the bad ones and put my own and it would adapt the cue sheet itself. Is that too complicated ? I don't understand the use of cue sheet. The Index numbers look like durations..Well...I just edited the audio tracks, they won't be the same duration. So if it rely on exact time duration than I'm screwed, I can only get the bad edit original working.

Cheers,

Talkie
Old 03 February 2008, 07:15   #5
Talkie

Well this is where I'm at so far.

Did find a tool which lets me delete the audio tracks in a bin file and put others at their place. It is called UltraIso. The free version only works on items less than 300 mb.

It took me a while to figure out how to access both parts of the Bin file (data and audio), but once everything is set I was able to record a new bin file with my new audio (Daemon plays the new audio).
Alas, Winuae provokes a failure (red message). It doesn't want to play it.

So I returned to the cd I first made (data + new audio, made without cue by dropping the files in burn), and dragged some of the data files on Winuae to see what would happen. It opens the CDTV virtual player (the Bin is actually a CDTV, I try everything both CD32 +*CDTV), and I am able to listen to all my new tracks (starting from track 2). Then..When I press the small graphic square, I access Track 1, then I press the small computer icon below, and it gets to a screen with large Play-Pause-Rew-Fwd-Stop buttons, but there is no way for me to press play with the keyboard neither the mouse. So it freezes.

Basically Winuae recognizes my new audio and a first track of Data but can't start playing.

Any help ?

By the way I've tried manyyyyyyy free iso-bin applications. UltraIso seems to be the first that recognized on prompt that there was audio in the Bin. Others would either only show the data, or hint by the size that there was something else, but hide the audio (or I was too illiterate to understand how they function). Unfortunately my created Bin with UltraIso failed in Winuae (through Daemon).

Talkie
Old 03 February 2008, 16:24   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can't just extract the files and then burn the data track without extra preparation phase.

CD32 "trademark" file must be put in non-visible part of CD image or it won't boot on CD32 (real or emulated, this check is done by CD32 ROM)

There should be guide(s) somewhere..
Old 03 February 2008, 17:10   #7
Talkie

Hello Toni,

thanks for the reply.

So I guess this IS the first magic file that CD32 seeks before starting anything, the "trademark" file (I suppose hidden somewhere in the data track).

So let's crap the homemade cd, What I still don't understand is why,
when I edit the bin from within, using UltraIso, and only changing the audio tracks part, never ever touching the data, howcome does that new Bin file is not recognize by Winuae (through Daemon).

Is it that UltraIso sucks and shift things within the data while rewritting
the Bin, Or is it that on a CD32 (or as matter of fact, any Bin File) precise space occupied by any substract, including audio, is of utmost importance ? The only thing I see altering in my edit would be that audio tracks don't start at the exact spots as in the original Bin.

As I say, with Winuae CDTV I can access the audio. I suppose they'd be a way in Winuae CD32 too. It's really the data that is the problem.

Ah whatever... It was a nice idea, I think I'm starting to touch domains beyond my comprehension.

Talkie
Old 03 February 2008, 19:41   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkie View Post
So let's crap the homemade cd, What I still don't understand is why, when I edit the bin from within, using UltraIso, and only changing the audio tracks part, never ever touching the data, howcome does that new Bin file is not recognize by Winuae (through Daemon).
I guess it overwrites the trademark data for some weird reason. Trademark part should say something like "The Commodore logo is a registered trademark blahblah" at the start of image (seems to be at offset 0xa800)
Old 03 February 2008, 19:53   #9
Talkie

Someone on a very old thread here said that if you have the original Bin or Iso of a CD32 (or CDTV) then it doesn't need to be prepared (with Amiga Developer Kit) because you already have the Boot file in root.

So here: my cue and bin file has the CDTV.TM file right up there in root.
The Bin + Cue functions perfectly in Winuae (Daemon as drive). I only want to change the music because it has edit gaps from a probable bad dump of the original (no idea).

I don't understand why, changing the audio tracks from within the Bin, and using that new Bin in Daemon or burned on CD, that Winuae fails to recognize it when the CDTV.TM file is right there in root (and Winuae does recognize the audio from track 2, just not the data).

Do I have to find guides about creating a boot cd when I am so close
to the original functioning CDTV BinCue ? What could be the problem ?
The last attempts at converting the transformed bin to CCD gives me red Guru 0000003 0001970 errors.

I am not giving up because I read that it is possible to create Boot CDTV
(it just sounds very complicated). But I'm trying to see if there is something simplier that could deal with this.

I'm not sure if in the example above about re-writting cue files, if the "" must be written or not, and if I got to manually re enter all track durations somewhere because those shifted.

Cheers

Talkie