English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 July 2020, 23:39   #41
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
Truth be told, I hate trackers. Or at least, the GUI. I find it a very clumsy way to make music, but then again I've been spoiled by years of piano rolls and sequencers. I'm sure it was great for the time, but I just find it annoying and archaic.

I'm using Protracker 2 Clone for Windows which at least has mousewheel support, so that's a small saving grace. Wish it had MIDI import functionality like Arkos Tracker for the Amstrad though.

Still, it's a good challenge!
I can totally relate, being classically trained myself and used to sheet music notation.
Oktamed has sheet music support, but it's mostly unusable.

Arkos Tracker seems like a great piece of software and I definitely need to check it out someday, since I am also an Amstrad fan.
Old 08 July 2020, 00:01   #42
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Let me punctualize that Deflemask generate music FOR the megadrive using a simulaiton of the YM chip, so you might need to render single insturments in wav, convert it in iff, down sample it and use it on Amiga - i did it on some occasions
Old 08 July 2020, 09:07   #43
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Let me punctualize that Deflemask generate music FOR the megadrive using a simulaiton of the YM chip, so you might need to render single insturments in wav, convert it in iff, down sample it and use it on Amiga - i did it on some occasions
Ahh right. I have a plugin for my DAW called VOPM which does the same thing. It's pretty cool, and it does sound like a Megadrive. I made a chiptune EP with it a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Arkos Tracker seems like a great piece of software and I definitely need to check it out someday, since I am also an Amstrad fan.
It's good, but it's also a little clunky. A few mouse controllable sliders would make all the difference instead of bashing in hex values to what looks like sliders. The Protracker Clone's big downer for me is the cut/copy/paste functions, which I just can't seem to get used to. Click, drag, CTRL+C, CTRL+V would have been much better to implement, especially as it's a version which was made fairly recently and could have had more modern functionality.

Then again I'm old and I like to moan.
Old 08 July 2020, 09:10   #44
manossg

Quote:
The Protracker Clone's big downer for me is the cut/copy/paste functions, which I just can't seem to get used to. Click, drag, CTRL+C, CTRL+V would have been much better to implement, especially as it's a version which was made fairly recently and could have had more modern functionality.
I totally agree with you. And an ability to undo would be a godsend.
Old 08 July 2020, 10:56   #45
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
I totally agree with you. And an ability to undo would be a godsend.
I think CTRL+U does that in Protracker. I could be wrong though. I've only just discovered that Amos has an Undo function using CTRL+U and I was nearly in tears of joy. I have ADHD so I'm not good with manuals as my brain tends to glaze after a paragraph and I can totally miss things, even after reading them a few times.

This is a cool list of Protracker Shortcuts which I just found:

http://coppershade.org/helpers/DOCS/...r23.readme.txt
Old 08 July 2020, 11:01   #46
manossg

Quote:
I think CTRL+U does that in Protracker. I could be wrong though. I've only just discovered that Amos has an Undo function using CTRL+U and I was nearly in tears of joy. I have ADHD so I'm not good with manuals as my brain tends to glaze after a paragraph and I can totally miss things, even after reading them a few times.

This is a cool list of Protracker Shortcuts which I just found:

http://coppershade.org/helpers/DOCS/...r23.readme.txt
Are you talking about the Windows clone? Because in this one I found that -> ctrl+u - Undo last pattern edit change.

God, this bliss was short-lived.
Old 08 July 2020, 11:08   #47
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Are you talking about the Windows clone? Because in this one I found that -> ctrl+u - Undo last pattern edit change.

God, this bliss was short-lived.
I think it's just regular Protracker. I'm not sure though. I've only done a few patterns so far and I've not had the need to Undo anything yet.
Old 08 July 2020, 12:39   #48
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

So many new game projects..

Very nice... (and it seems, apart from shooters we get lots of brawlers now as well.. ;D )
Old 08 July 2020, 12:46   #49
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
So many new game projects..

Very nice... (and it seems, apart from shooters we get lots of brawlers now as well.. ;D )
There's no such thing as too many shooters

Anyway, it's nice to see these games in development. This one looks very good. More so considering it's in AMOS, which is a challenge in its own right (it's lack of support for data structures really hurts my head when I work in it ).
Old 08 July 2020, 20:13   #50
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Well i use Milkytracker (on XP) since at least 2009 and it has most of what you ask for, albeit not in the usual key shortcut way (right button to access options) - Milky has also multithreading - mean more songs open at once - that for my workflow is a godsend
Old 08 July 2020, 20:17   #51
manossg

Quote:
Well i use Milkytracker (on XP) since at least 2009 and it has most of what you ask for, albeit not in the usual key shortcut way (right button to access options) - Milky has also multithreading - mean more songs open at once - that for my workflow is a godsend
Might be getting a bit OT here, but what about ProTracker/Amiga compatibility? It sure looks sweet (and milky).
Old 08 July 2020, 20:25   #52
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Might be getting a bit OT here, but what about ProTracker/Amiga compatibility? It sure looks sweet (and milky).
Considered i did all of the soundtracks of the games using milky, compatibility is excellent - given you use protracker commands and note ranges[C-1 to B-3 inprotracker translates in C-3 to B-5 in milky]; just need to check for highest notes and finetune (milky use a more fine grained one than protracker) so usually the workflow is: compose in milky then fix small details in the protracker clone

Another little annoyance is that - at least in the version i use - milky does not have a tunetone so i keep protracker clone on with tune tone and i finetune samples in milky
Old 08 July 2020, 20:42   #53
manossg

Quote:
Considered i did all of the soundtracks of the games using milky, compatibility is excellent - given you use protracker commands and note ranges[C-1 to B-3 inprotracker translates in C-3 to B-5 in milky]; just need to check for highest notes and finetune (milky use a more fine grained one than protracker) so usually the workflow is: compose in milky then fix small details in the protracker clone

Another little annoyance is that - at least in the version i use - milky does not have a tunetone so i keep protracker clone on with tune tone and i finetune samples in milky
Great stuff, thank!
Old 10 July 2020, 10:15   #54
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on Milkytracker! I had a little play around with it this morning and it seems really nice. Quite intuitive, and I like how you can see the samples in a list instead of it just being a number.
Old 23 July 2020, 20:38   #55
Brick Nash
Prototron

Update - Intro, New moves, new features

Hi folks. Thought I'd do an update on the my Lockdown project game. I'm going under my old chiptune project's name "Prototron" which I resurrected, so going to probably make a channel for that.

[ Show youtube player ]

The project now has an intro with title screen and credits screen, + new moves.

New moves include:
- Grab: Knee/back drop/tomoe nage
- Charge attack (double tap + attack button)
- Special/panic move

New Features include:
- Automation: Blaze now walks on screen by herself
- Three enemies on screen
- Enemies can now fight back
- Better Scrolling
- Screen Shake (from the back drop move)

The special move is activated by pushing DOWN+JUMP as I can't figure out how to do two buttons at once (The classic ATTACK+JUMP).

The HUD screen is mostly for show as I've no idea how to update it in the main loop without it slowing everything down, but the Timer does count down (albeit without clearing the screen).

I have the level map extended to 1024 pixels, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do to get the whole level map to show. Blitting 16x16 tiles either side of the view is beyond me.

It's still running on the Windows for AMOS "Fastest Possible" stock settings as every time I switch to "Cycle Exact" the CPU speed drops to 2%, which I think its a bug as my code isn't that bad, but I think I'll go back to my regular WinUAE setup soon as I've no idea how it'll run on a real machine (quite glitchy I'd imagine).

Time for a break though as after 2 months I'm a bit burned out, but it's "almost" there.

Big thanks to Dan for the Font code.

Cheers! *Cracks open a Peroni"

Last edited by Brick Nash; 23 July 2020 at 21:04.
Old 23 July 2020, 20:53   #56
manossg

Wow, that is some truly impressive progress!

Cheers!
Old 23 July 2020, 20:58   #57
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Man, that's some serious progress. That makes you a liar, because this ain't the work of no terrible programmer
Old 23 July 2020, 21:02   #58
Retro1234
Phone Homer

can I ask
how you do the hit detection?
Have you tried compiling? this normally has a great speed increase.
Old 23 July 2020, 21:16   #59
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
can I ask
how you do the hit detection?
Have you tried compiling? this normally has a great speed increase.
It's just checking the space between the Player's X and Y coordinate in relation to the Enemies', and also if the player is in an attack state, and if so, which frame of animation it is on.

The enemy must be within 5-10 pixels up or down of the player's Y coordinate, and 30 pixels of the player's X coordinate (depending on which way they are facing).

If so, do switch on whatever variables are needed for the animations.

I've no idea how to compile the game, although it does come with a compiler, but I need a setup that'll allow me to run it on Cycle Exact with 68000 OCS settings, but I have trouble getting the extensions installed on my WinUAE setup as nothing seems to save.
Old 23 July 2020, 21:17   #60
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Man, that's some serious progress. That makes you a liar, because this ain't the work of no terrible programmer
Thanks dude! If you saw my code you might think differently though.