English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 11 July 2011, 08:46   #1
Rishca

Mysterious double boot ClassicWB ADV SP

Hi,

A mysterious thing is that when i boot the OS it boots twice like the same effect workbench 3.9 using 3.1 rom a double boot has.

The only thing is that i installed ADVSP with 3.1 WB floppys and then use it in an A1200 + 3.0 roms + bliz 1230 mk4 + 32mb / 3gb hd.

Any idea what this could be? maybe something wrong in the startup-sequence/user-startup lines?

This double booting does not occur in winuae where i installed/setup the OS in the first place for later use in the real amiga.

In winuae i selected 3.1 rom and the real amiga has 3.0 rom, maybe a reason that causes this?
Old 11 July 2011, 09:31   #2
Skope
Protracker

It sure sounds like it's copying rom in to fast ram, then again if it is that would be completely unessecary as the B1230-IV does that anyway. But paste your startup-sequence here and maybe we can have a look-see.

Edit: I used to have WB3.1 and KS3.0 with a B1230-IV back in the 90's and it never behaved like that.
Old 11 July 2011, 10:34   #3
Bloodwych

You've probably enabled Large Hard Drive support, by adding scsi.device to Devs:

[ Show youtube player ]

That would cause a double boot on cold start. A warm reboot should no longer do it.
Old 11 July 2011, 10:49   #4
Skope
Protracker

Ah yes Bloodwych! That may very well be it.
Old 11 July 2011, 11:18   #5
Rishca

That explains all!

Ive indeed added the patched scsi.device for 128gb support to the Devs/ folder, and indeed a warm boot does not make it boot twice.

Thought any new version would be better. Got a 3gb 2.5"haddrive with 3 partitions 400mb/1.2gb/1.2gb. When i remove the patched scsi.device from DEVS will it boot only once by automatically switching to the old version? or is it recommended to keep it this double boot way because of the newer version?
Old 11 July 2011, 11:25   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishca View Post
That explains all!

Ive indeed added the patched scsi.device for 128gb support to the Devs/ folder, and indeed a warm boot does not make it boot twice.

Thought any new version would be better. Got a 3gb 2.5"haddrive with 3 partitions 400mb/1.2gb/1.2gb. When i remove the patched scsi.device from DEVS will it boot only once by automatically switching to the old version? or is it recommended to keep it this double boot way because of the newer version?

I guess you get some bug fixes with the new SCSI.Device but in theory you don't need it as your drive is under 4gb
Old 11 July 2011, 11:50   #7
Rishca

Okay, does this mean i can savely delete the patched scsi.device? and will it automatically switch to the old one after a reboot?

I have this double boot thingy also on my A4000 where i also use the same patched scsi.device Only this HD is 15gb and uses SFS (to avoid file corruption on the long term).
For this amiga there is no way to avoid the double boot then? here i cannot avoid the patched scsi.device to secure my hd data?

By the way, i noticed the new install options when fresh installing ADVSP (themes) .. very nice!
Thanks for the great packages!
Old 11 July 2011, 11:54   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

The patched SCSi device is only needed for drives larger than 4gb, so its safe to leave it off for your smaller deive and it is just a case of deleting the file from Devs:

The only way around the reboot would be to burn your own custom kickstart Rom with this updated SCSI device built in.

Steve.
Old 11 July 2011, 13:02   #9
Rishca

Thanks for the info! double boot A1200 solved.

For the A4000, i have read somewhere about the possibility of loading a custom KS via the Deneb USB card's flash memory. If this is possible it might be a better solution then finding someone able to burn custom KS roms into a chip.
Old 11 July 2011, 13:41   #10
Bloodwych

Quote:
By the way, i noticed the new install options when fresh installing ADVSP (themes) .. very nice!
Thanks for the great packages!
No problem, happy you find it useful.

The themes are just to give you an idea what can be achieved with low colour Workbenches. I hope to add more in the future, perhaps some user wallpapers and theme addon packs too as there are some nice examples done by others.

Here is some info you may find useful if you haven't seen it already. Explains how you can create your own low colour wallpapers using the P96 or UAE packs and/or ImageStudio:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58114
Old 11 July 2011, 15:25   #11
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Thanks for the info! double boot A1200 solved.

For the A4000, i have read somewhere about the possibility of loading a custom KS via the Deneb USB card's flash memory. If this is possible it might be a better solution then finding someone able to burn custom KS roms into a chip.

Glad you solved that

If you have a Deneb you can indeed load the custom modules from that which is what I plan to do. I just haven't had time to read the Lucifern guide which is the tool you need to use.

Have a good read up on that and maybe we can start a thread together and bounce off some idea's creating the perfect Kickstart and a mini guide for others.

I need to have a chat with my buddy mfilos as he will be able to suggest the best mudules to use.

Steve.
Old 11 July 2011, 17:25   #12
Rishca

Thanks for the info Bloodywych!
Its indeed great to have more options for features at install! Ive been using MagicTV for interlaced with 16 color optimized cammy/rebel palette for a few months until i bought a gfx card for the 4000. And still using this method on the 1200 and it works flawless!

Im also intrested in these fancy 16 color workbenches like seen in screenshots from Cammy with these silvergreen/silverblue screenshots. Looks great! just yesterday installed birdie and visualprefs to play along with, hope i can get the same result.

@Fitzsteve :

Didnt had the time yet but ill take a good look to the luciferin manual to see how it works with those KS modules. apart from loading the patched scsi.device from there, i also am curious about what more fancy things are possible with this method.