English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 May 2021, 01:18   #1
Warty

Happy I'm ready for 3.2!

I made a 1.3 + 3.1 superkickstart disk the day, and wanted to make a label for it. One rabbit hole later, I'm ready for 3.2.

These are 1.3 style disk labels. I have no idea why the 2.04 super kickstart disk for my A3000 started out life as an A1000 KS 1.3 disk, but it seems to have. And then somebody (Commodore? A dealer?) made it into a 2.04 KS disk and slapped a new part number sticker on it. All of which is made a bit weirder by the fact the rest of the OS disks are 2.1. <shrug>

These don't attempt to exactly duplicate the 1.3 style:
  • I reversed the "spine" orientation so that they can be read from the front when looking down at box of floppies
  • I increased line spacing between write inhibited notice to line up a bit better
  • I don't have the right Garamond font. Went through about 20, but no luck so far. Anyone know the EXACT garamond?
  • Sometimes the chicken lips logo was all blue, sometimes blue and red. I only had vector for the blue and red one)
  • I made up the part numbers (duh)
  • err, plus the obvious one about the company in question

I also like the 2.04 style disk labels, so I might make up a set of those for 3.2 as well. (but with the over-the-top bit: I like to be able to see what's what looking at the box of floppies)

For printing, I'm ordering some sheets of this, in the durable weather resistant version. I think that will be nice and shiny. They let you order fewer than 100 or whatever (cost per sheet goes up slightly, but if you don't need the other 99....)
- https://www.avery.com/blank/labels/94109

(Avery doesn't make floppy labels any more, but it does make rounded-corner 2.75"x2.75" labels, which happens to be the same exact size).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KickStart_3.2_Disk_Label1.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	71872   Click image for larger version

Name:	KickStart_3.2_Disk_Label2.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	71873  
Old 12 May 2021, 09:02   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

I suggest trying acetone or some similar paint removing substance to peel off the "Imation" stuff on the metal part of the floppy.
Old 12 May 2021, 09:03   #3
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Ready for 3.2. as well!
Into my veins..

But when will it release... ?
Old 12 May 2021, 09:12   #4
gulliver
BoingBagged

Only Hyperion knows.
Old 12 May 2021, 09:14   #5
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I suggest trying acetone or some similar paint removing substance to peel off the "Imation" stuff on the metal part of the floppy.

It would be easier to swap the metal parts...
Old 12 May 2021, 10:37   #6
phx
Natteravn

Nice work! Fonts and logos look identical to me.
But I would use a DD disk if I actually wanted to use it for some time.
Old 12 May 2021, 11:36   #7
Amiga68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warty View Post
[*]I don't have the right Garamond font. Went through about 20, but no luck so far. Anyone know the EXACT garamond?
I believe this would be "Garamond ITC Bold Italic BT".
Old 12 May 2021, 19:52   #8
Warty

Quote:
That's just a junk floppy I had around that has already failed. I need to find 6 good, BLUE, floppies for this. Which oddly enough is getting tricky. <sigh> How many million AOL floppies did I throw away in the past? (although I think most of those were white or gray).
Old 12 May 2021, 19:54   #9
Warty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga68k View Post
That's it! Thank you!

Here's a version of Hyperion getting some credit, and with the new (correct-er) font.

(Note: I haven't tested these against real labels, I'll post some pics once my labels come).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Floppy Labels - 1.3 style - 3.2 hyperion.pdf (83.4 KB, 264 views)
Old 12 May 2021, 21:09   #10
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
That's just a junk floppy I had around that has already failed. I need to find 6 good, BLUE, floppies for this. Which oddly enough is getting tricky. <sigh> How many million AOL floppies did I throw away in the past? (although I think most of those were white or gray).
Don't tell me. We had a long discussion about issues with floppies and current + future AmigaOS.

Reality is a bit bitter: floppies are starting to become expensive and difficult to find in large numbers.

I also admit treating floppies in not so nice ways back in the 80s and 90s.
Now I regret all the pain and harm done.

PS: Really good looking labels. Congratulations for the work in recreating them following original designs.
Old 17 May 2021, 19:37   #11
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
I made a 1.3 + 3.1 superkickstart disk the day, and wanted to make a label for it. One rabbit hole later, I'm ready for 3.2.

These are 1.3 style disk labels. I have no idea why the 2.04 super kickstart disk for my A3000 started out life as an A1000 KS 1.3 disk, but it seems to have. And then somebody (Commodore? A dealer?) made it into a 2.04 KS disk and slapped a new part number sticker on it. All of which is made a bit weirder by the fact the rest of the OS disks are 2.1. <shrug>
VERY nice work on that label! A man after my own heart..! 8^D Could I coax you into showcasing your top-notch new-looking disk label images at Workbench Nostalgia? You'd be given full, shameless credit. 8-D

My attempt from a couple of years ago:

And what can I say? I love SuperKickstart disks... brings back good memories of the solid foundation Workbench/Kickstart 2.04 created for the AmigaOS and its community.

FWIW, I'm still looking for a couple of original hard-to-find disks; not so much for their contents; just the collector mentality.

Last edited by gdonner; 17 May 2021 at 20:03.
Old 17 May 2021, 22:00   #12
crazyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga68k View Post
Is this definitely it ? When I try it the G seems to come out too angular compared to the screenshots?
Old 18 May 2021, 09:22   #13
Amiga68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
Is this definitely it ? When I try it the G seems to come out too angular compared to the screenshots?
Amigawiki - ITC Garamond Bold Italic

EAB thread - ITC Garamond Bold Italic

Wikimedia - Garamond ITC Book BT

Seems "Garamond ITC Bold Italic BT" is a combination of those three found with a quick search, but you make up your own mind
Old 19 May 2021, 05:40   #14
Warty

Quote:
Congratulations for the work in recreating them following original designs.
Thanks, but, ah, err, not to put too fine a point on it, but I'm just dinking around in a word processor for these. BTW, Congratulations for the work in recreating and enhancing AmigaOS following original designs. You know, the thing the disks are made to hold.
Old 19 May 2021, 05:47   #15
Warty

[QUOTE=gdonner;1484461]VERY nice work on that label! A man after my own heart..! 8^D Could I coax you into showcasing your top-notch new-looking disk label images at Workbench Nostalgia? You'd be given full, shameless credit. 8-D

My attempt from a couple of years ago:

That looks great. I'd like to do a set of the 2.04/2.05/3.1 style rainbow disks someday. But my real second favorite is the 1.1/1.2 style with the fully colored checkmark(s). I just realized for the first time that my 1.1 (red checkmark) WB disk has Amiga silkscreened onto the floppy disk shutter. Cool! Didn't think Commodore had the imagination for that.
Old 19 May 2021, 05:53   #16
Warty

The labels came! After some futzing around, I have them lined up pretty well. I'm pretty happy with them, but I imagined the paper as being more glossy8 than it is. It's better than your typical matte stickers, for sure. But if you look in the photo below, my test print at lower left is only close in shininess to the upper right 1.3.2 disk, and not near as shiny as the others. Avery has a couple other notches above this quality, so I might try those when I run out of these stickers.

Now if I only had some blue floppies that actually worked, I'd stick these on something.

If I ever manage to get Amiga on the Lake to accept an order, I might even figure out which floppy names are needed for 3.2. Gulliver and co. are cruel masters though, with their 30 floppy distribution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.3_style_labels_first_printing.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	573.8 KB
ID:	71990  
Old 19 May 2021, 07:30   #17
btp

Nice work!

If someone needs the original labels to use as a base for making new ones I have re-created most of these (almost all AmigaOS versions incl. 3.1.4)

https://amigaposters.github.io/categories/#Labels
Old 19 May 2021, 15:00   #18
Warty

Oh, wow. That's some beautiful, painstaking work. I am in just in awe. I need to spend some quality time with your posters.
Old 19 May 2021, 15:53   #19
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btp View Post
Nice work!

If someone needs the original labels to use as a base for making new ones I have re-created most of these (almost all AmigaOS versions incl. 3.1.4)

https://amigaposters.github.io/categories/#Labels
Thanks a lot - that is really great work!
Old 20 May 2021, 05:00   #20
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
The labels came! After some futzing around, I have them lined up pretty well. I'm pretty happy with them, but I imagined the paper as being more glossy8 than it is. It's better than your typical matte stickers, for sure. But if you look in the photo below, my test print at lower left is only close in shininess to the upper right 1.3.2 disk, and not near as shiny as the others. Avery has a couple other notches above this quality, so I might try those when I run out of these stickers.

Now if I only had some blue floppies that actually worked, I'd stick these on something.

If I ever manage to get Amiga on the Lake to accept an order, I might even figure out which floppy names are needed for 3.2. Gulliver and co. are cruel masters though, with their 30 floppy distribution.
Very professional work!

BTW, if you need disk labels, I have a NOS (still sealed) Avery box no. 6490 with 375 labels (15 labels/sheet, 25 sheets) I can sell you for a reasonable price. I bought it from eBay a while ago, and don't really need it. PM if interested! They're the best labels I've ever used--they stick very well, yet still easy to remove when needed and leave no mess on the disk.