English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 November 2005, 11:53   #1
nikemoto2511

new software for 1.3/2.0 systems

now, the needs for copy protection coding tricks and low memory systems are gone. most amigas have 1 or even 2 megabyte, and hard disks.

it is even possible to emulate these machines, include a hard drive directory.

equipped with 2 megabyte, and hard disk (another 10 megabyte), the A500/A600 look different than back the age when they were introduced.

probably the amiga can get a platform for 2d games, even professional (not scene scrollers) demos.

there are a few demos on the x86 machines, addressing directx. experience with the amiga chipset helps to write better pc software!
the scrolling of a few x86 demo's has room for improvement.

i am even trying to write an assembler for the 68k processor.
not to say my coding attempts under OS1.3

the point of this post:

some people make great demo/game for the windows pc. it works "fast" on their own machine only, matching their specific graphics card/memory configuration. shipped out, a few are unplayable/awful slow.

experience with amiga programming model let programmers use a timer based framework, not difficult to do under windows/visual c++ once one knows how to. and the A500 runs on 7mhz all the time.

if pc game programmers establish two or three amiga (1.3/ocs) games/demos in the first run, the later x86/windows product improves greatly. not to do "bad speak": a few creations require 24bit directx10, however, only utilize 10 or so colors, and simple sound effects.

i had in mind to do it on the mega drive, however, it requires a license!
the amiga does not require this license: people are allowed to create software for it.

interested in my 68k assembler: open source, compileable by a commerical IDE which has put to public domain recently. it works on microcode tables, resembling the 68k processor itself, to allow most possible authentic software.

however, it is not "free for anyone" for unlimited use- if "you" make a great business on it, this requires a license then, as well corporate usage. the decision for open source was made to proove that "hacking" is neither efficient nor required.

my plans: to offer a few new software products: for download(full working versions), or shipping on floppy/memory card. do not understand it as shareware: it just allows to "order" a so-called license. once a license was purchased, this "offcially" allows to create derived work.

a reader of the mad magazine, of course i make statistics, how many people download how many times, how many buy a license. basically the products (68k assembler) are put up to gather statistical data about amiga users. the software might get available within three months. the microcode table already exists.

let's give these hackers a free visual studio edition (some hacking required to make it run, as well hours of download/search), buy a pentium pc and windows "hacking" license sticker. and, in turn of it, make the amiga a computer for real programmers, professional people who need to do their business on computers(like managers who type themselves), and kiddies who "buy" original software. windows pc's are taking the load of "multimedia" display, playback, mp3 distribution, "professional" word processing and internet access.

definetively i could do most of my work, like trying out algorithms, on a plain amiga 500. sometimes i write "crap", like this post, and could also do it on paper (yes paper, it works). why shops do not offer items like amiga 500/1200, always have to minimize the cost (storage). or a new amiga: no keyboard/disk drive/ports, just usb connectors. one of my ideas: to make such a replica using modern chip technology. the chipset has patent on it, probably they would wrote a letter to me: do not do it. it does not look even difficult: a prototype including 256k (16bit)=512k RAM and 128k flash memory already exists.

do not understand a few things: that's me too. it has improved by reading things ten times if necessary.
Old 29 November 2005, 12:50   #2
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

wut??
© Mr_0rga5m
Old 29 November 2005, 13:02   #3
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

uhm.....WoT?????? :scratch
Old 29 November 2005, 13:03   #4
woody57

The above poster is firstly confusing Windoze virtual memorey programmes with WB based virtual drive storage.

His confusion becomes more compounded with this error the further he goes into his post.

Mistaking compatability between old motorola 6800 based machines & todays standard PC's, somewhere he misses the fact that Amiga emulators run on PC's are an "artificial bubble" created on the machine as a VIRTUAL AMIGA as opposed to a real code running of Amiga programmes on the PC.

To say amiga demo's could just run on the pc direct is nonsense, as is equally something coded for PC running INSTANTLY on an Amiga.

A confusion of hardware & OS assumptions that need more in depth knoledge before any of the above could be considered more than a rant .

So sorry nikemoto2511 you are eiether on stronger medication than I am & currently delusional ......or you are a misunderstood GENIUS that we mere mortals are incappable of folowing.....please do not make it a POLL
Old 29 November 2005, 13:04   #5
kriz

hmm for new amiga releases check out:
amiga.bbs.fi

hehe.
Old 29 November 2005, 13:48   #6
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

I might be mistaken.....(I often am) but I have given this a halfhour of thought and come the conclusion that Nikemoto believes that by making a couple of things working with the timer-encoded thing for Amiga (as in, a shooter made for the A1000 back in 1985, still works just as good and is not too fast for a toplevel 060-based A1200/A4000 today) people can get games / demos working better for Windows by implementing the same (well modified for the PC) timer-encoded techniques. The big problem is, that while Windows now is utilizing DirectX......some people is still stuck with a PC running below 1GHz. Thus, you can't implement too much gfx/sfx candy before it runs horribly slow one a lowerspecced system than your own.
Old 30 November 2005, 11:38   #7
nikemoto2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz
hmm for new amiga releases check out:
amiga.bbs.fi

hehe.
what's new with graffitti, noticed it ten years ago? even if i like(d) a few, please do not take it personally: "mouse button clickable scene scroller" including "4 channel 8bit sample based music replay". sometimes including "substance, madness reference and slang language, explicit content". not listed by professional software house (orderable product).

"demo" means one or two playable levels (preview) of a game.
games are: super mario land (NES), alex kidd enchanted castle or UFO enemy unknown.
scroller/intro: interaction by left mouse button, sometimes even jukebox function.

Last edited by nikemoto2511; 30 November 2005 at 14:44.
Old 30 November 2005, 11:47   #8
nikemoto2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody57
just saying virtual amigas do not have memory/disk issues anymore.
Old 30 November 2005, 13:21   #9
woody57

If thats all you were saying nikemoto2511 you could have fitted it in two paragraphs

I do not doubt your sincere interest in programming the problem occurs when the jargon between different systems is mixed together in the same sentence.

Rather like a working but slightly incompatable on some platforms piece of html code.

There are quite a few coding threads & projects on this board perhaps you are best to get your bearings again, as you state in another thread that you no longer have access to the reference manuals you once used

Memorey alone is a funny thing it often lets us down mid-sentence even though WE know what were on about it's hard for listners to follow the thread of what,s being said if the terms don't match their understanding
Old 30 November 2005, 14:46   #10
nikemoto2511

one line version: it makes sense to write new software (game demo, utility) for 1.3
Old 30 November 2005, 14:51   #11
woody57

Now that makes a valid point & perfect sense
Old 30 November 2005, 16:08   #12
nikemoto2511

have a look this scratch:

level 1: spider forest, unholy pathway, graveyard entrance, cemetery,
rusty cemtery fence and abandoned coffin shop.

level 2: bat garden, mansion entrace (flesh eating flowers),
rotten stairway, gruesome piano salon, downwards furnace, rat infested cellar.
the player defeats over the boss: a hudge spooky spider.
that's it and presentation of a silver grail (with black spots): labelled "2nd class shineholy grail",
small print: refurbishing needs, exchange for little gift or sugarfree candy possible at the checkout.

just a playable demo in ISO3D, 16/32 colors, 2mb memory required.
this demo = vaporware, chances for realization = good.
dont' send money now, but can you make a reasonable contribution (to the work)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	haunt16.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	9826  
Old 30 November 2005, 16:55   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

/me lost

Can I ask? Is English your first language? I find it difficult understanding most of your posts!

(maybe it's just me being thick!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemoto2511
have a look this scratch:

level 1: spider forest, unholy pathway, graveyard entrance, cemetery,
rusty cemtery fence and abandoned coffin shop.

level 2: bat garden, mansion entrace (flesh eating flowers),
rotten stairway, gruesome piano salon, downwards furnace, rat infested cellar.
the player defeats over the boss: a hudge spooky spider.
that's it and presentation of a silver grail (with black spots): labelled "2nd class shineholy grail",
small print: refurbishing needs, exchange for little gift or sugarfree candy possible at the checkout.

just a playable demo in ISO3D, 16/32 colors, 2mb memory required.
this demo = vaporware, chances for realization = good.
dont' send money now, but can you make a reasonable contribution (to the work)?
Old 30 November 2005, 19:04   #14
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I tried reading this backwards to see if there's any hidden message, but no, it still doesn't make sense.

Maybe if you try to decode it, he's really trying to say that George Bush is actually a psyborg made out of old x86 computers. The "hudge spooky spider" is probably talking about Bush and "rat infested cellar" is obviously the White House.
Old 30 November 2005, 19:59   #15
woody57

Now then mr a500 & Bippym I actually understand that the above is the "sketch" drawing of a 1st level demo proposed to played on a 2mb free memorey machine with 16/32colour graphics.

While nikemoto2511 has tried to simplify the presentation of his idea to a simple drawing instead of writting a complex plot it is easier to understand than earlier posts.

As a simple 1st level game plot in the "goblins & ghosts" genre its a return to c64 type basics.....but planned for a better graphic.

Now whats hard to understand about that ?

Last edited by woody57; 30 November 2005 at 20:49.
Old 30 November 2005, 20:06   #16
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Now then mr a500 & Bippym I actually understand that the above is the "sketch" drawing of a 1st level demo proposed to played on a 2mb free memorey machine with 16/32mb graphics.
16/32mb graphics on a 2mb free memory machine is a little hard to understand.

...so you're saying it's not about George Bush being a psyborg then?
Old 30 November 2005, 20:10   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody57
Now then mr a500 & Bippym I actually understand that the above is the "sketch" drawing of a 1st level demo proposed to played on a 2mb free memorey machine with 16/32mb graphics.

While nikemoto2511 has tried to simplify the presentation of his idea to a simple drawing instead of writting a complex plot it is easier to understand than earlier posts.

As a simple 1st level game plot in the "goblins & ghosts" genre its a return to c64 type basics.....but planned for a better graphic.

Now whats hard to understand about that ?
I meant in "general".. I grasped what he was trying to say in that post.. others simply don't make sense to my fragile mind!
Old 30 November 2005, 20:54   #18
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I may be misunderstanding what nikemoto2511 is trying to say here (though I know that's hard to believe), but it looks to me as if there is some indication in his posts that there may be a profit motive behind his possible creation of new software for the Amiga. If so then without commenting on whether or not it would be possible for him to make a profit from the effort, I can only cross my fingers and hope that it won't be a text adventure.
Old 01 December 2005, 10:40   #19
nikemoto2511

1. the thumbnail visualizes the cyborg plot requirement.
2. it won't a text adventure- the zooming of the bats means ISO3D (UTOPIA style:animated sprites=same size except the bats).
3. open source project: license purchase possible, not obligatory for private people. it has nothing to do with shareware or PD.

the purpose of the efforts: to make the amiga a computer for programmers and "managers who type themselves and also work out a few things on paper". there are not that many screensavers for WB1.3 and it won't ask you each day: "do you wanna install macromedia and get a few years of compulsory popup requesters".
Old 01 December 2005, 11:02   #20
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikemoto2511
1. the thumbnail visualizes the cyborg plot requirement.
2. it won't a text adventure- the zooming of the bats means ISO3D (UTOPIA style:animated sprites=same size except the bats).
3. open source project: license purchase possible, not obligatory for private people. it has nothing to do with shareware or PD.

the purpose of the efforts: to make the amiga a computer for programmers and "managers who type themselves and also work out a few things on paper". there are not that many screensavers for WB1.3 and it won't ask you each day: "do you wanna install macromedia and get a few years of compulsory popup requesters".
??

Now I'm lost.. what does any of this have to do with Amiga.. face it the Amiga is pretty much a dead platform, and if you think it can replace the current pc.. forget it.!

You are right there aren't as many screensavers and you don't get bugged to install this and that.. but then I don't have any screensavers on my PC and I don't get asked to install this or that unless i'm trying to open a specific file for a specific piece of software!

As for an Amiga game.. good luck and I hope it pans out well for you.. you seem to know what you want, but right now you are not communicating effectively to others!