Old 05 February 2017, 08:03   #21
SKOLMAN_MWS

Fast decoder Ogg Vorbis, links for those interested:

http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/Tremor/

http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/VorbisPlayer +src asm 68k
Old 17 May 2021, 10:09   #22
koobo

Hey!
Are there any annoying bugs that would need to be fixed?
Or maybe some missing features (not too hard to implement)?
I might take up on the challenge.
Old 17 May 2021, 12:07   #23
daxb

There is a limit of max playlist entries of about 8000 (can't remember right) which is annoying.

A small GUI glitch. Preferences -> Play-2 -> "MPEGA quality" is overwritten with some ASCII chars. Starting from A of MPEGA to the end of preferences window. If I click on the gadget to change the quality, leave Play-2 "tab" and go back the string looks good again. Only the part right from number gadget to window boarder is still overwritten. I don't know if this happens only on my config but I think it is just a very small problem that doesn't need to be fixed.

Another one I don't know if it is only on my config. Sometimes (yes) if med type module is playing next (from playlist) Hippoplayer freeze.
Old 17 May 2021, 12:51   #24
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
There is a limit of max playlist entries of about 8000 (can't remember right) which is annoying.

A small GUI glitch. Preferences -> Play-2 -> "MPEGA quality" is overwritten with some ASCII chars. Starting from A of MPEGA to the end of preferences window. If I click on the gadget to change the quality, leave Play-2 "tab" and go back the string looks good again. Only the part right from number gadget to window boarder is still overwritten. I don't know if this happens only on my config but I think it is just a very small problem that doesn't need to be fixed.

Another one I don't know if it is only on my config. Sometimes (yes) if med type module is playing next (from playlist) Hippoplayer freeze.
Ok, I'll have a look, since I'm feeling retro :-)

I've actually been working on the list limit already for a few hours. It's not at all simple and therefore kind of an interesting challenge. I also fixed a few bugs, too.
Old 17 May 2021, 14:50   #25
daxb

Sorry, koobo. I was to lazy to check. We had the talk already on the first page of this thread around 4 years ago. However, good luck and maybe some fun finding/fixing bugs.
Old 17 May 2021, 19:48   #26
koobo

I've managed to remove the 0x3fff list limitation, some testing needs to be done still.

A module list with about 60000 modules takes 3 megabytes when saved as a module program, when in memory about 4 megabytes apparently

The sorting algorithm dies on that, I probably need to upgrade.
Old 17 May 2021, 22:44   #27
daxb

Good that we have some MB free for the case. My old mod collection is only 5000 in size.
Old 21 May 2021, 15:40   #28
XTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post
Hey!
Are there any annoying bugs that would need to be fixed?
Or maybe some missing features (not too hard to implement)?
I might take up on the challenge.
I always loved Hippo Player, except one thing.
As I observed, there are two type of ProTracker replay routines used by people in programs (and demos) - some are very accurate and play exactly as ProTracker, some are a little bit slower somehow. HippoPlayer (at least version I used years ago) used that not accurate version. It produces problem when modules uses long sequences - it produces small, noticeable delay, gap between two sequences. If module has speed 125 (default VBlank), it needs to be change to 126 for perfect replay in HP.

But, as I said, that was long time ago and maybe it's already fixed / changed.
Old 21 May 2021, 17:28   #29
daxb

I don't know but I would never use VBlank in Protracker or HippoPlayer. As far as I know CIA timing works without problems and VBlank will differ from system to system.
Old 22 May 2021, 12:48   #30
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTD View Post
I always loved Hippo Player, except one thing.
As I observed, there are two type of ProTracker replay routines used by people in programs (and demos) - some are very accurate and play exactly as ProTracker, some are a little bit slower somehow. HippoPlayer (at least version I used years ago) used that not accurate version. It produces problem when modules uses long sequences - it produces small, noticeable delay, gap between two sequences. If module has speed 125 (default VBlank), it needs to be change to 126 for perfect replay in HP.

But, as I said, that was long time ago and maybe it's already fixed / changed.
An example of such module would be interesting. Could be related to CIA vs. VBlank selection.
Old 23 May 2021, 16:38   #31
XTD

http://www.modules.pl/?id=module&mod=3896 or http://www.modules.pl/index.php?id=module&mod=8920
For example.

First one I remember that plays with perfect sync in PT, but not in Hippo. And sure - CIA is more precise, but in PT 125 speed in CIA = VBLANK default.

Anyway, because people using more and more loops in their modules these days, perfect syncing is crucial.
Old 23 May 2021, 18:11   #32
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTD View Post
http://www.modules.pl/?id=module&mod=3896 or http://www.modules.pl/index.php?id=module&mod=8920
For example.

First one I remember that plays with perfect sync in PT, but not in Hippo. And sure - CIA is more precise, but in PT 125 speed in CIA = VBLANK default.

Anyway, because people using more and more loops in their modules these days, perfect syncing is crucial.
I gave "Ascend" a try on FS-UAE and on A1200, the module sounds the same on both ProTracker 2.3 and Hippo. Very nice tune!

It uses tempo 131 and with such long loops, any deviation from this tempo will make it sound quite bad. I wonder how wrong the playback was according to your recollection...
Old 23 May 2021, 22:34   #33
XTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobo View Post
I gave "Ascend" a try on FS-UAE and on A1200, the module sounds the same on both ProTracker 2.3 and Hippo. Very nice tune!

It uses tempo 131 and with such long loops, any deviation from this tempo will make it sound quite bad. I wonder how wrong the playback was according to your recollection...
Well, as I said, that was long time ago when I was using Amiga + Hippo Player. Maybe it's just fixed for some time.
Old 15 June 2021, 16:44   #34
koobo

Hi!

You can find a new build with support for huge module lists (and a host of other changes) at:
https://github.com/koobo/HippoPlayer...2.46-beta/dist
Old 15 June 2021, 20:32   #35
kriz

Download, thx So nice to see a new update for this absolute classic software... Thx koobo !! Btw: Anyone want to share their mod collection, please do
Old 15 June 2021, 20:50   #36
daxb

Thanks! I hope someone will test the new build.
Old 16 June 2021, 20:40   #37
spoUP

Wow! How awesome! I never expected this!

New feats? Well, support for more mod formats obviously! =)
Old 17 June 2021, 03:13   #38
Radertified

Thank you so much, koobo! Like others, I've been a huge fan of HippoPlayer since the '90s so having an update after decades is remarkable!
Old 17 June 2021, 13:50   #39
ExiE

I can't try it myself now but I saw over the years people saying that Hippoplayer is not possible to use as a default tool for module files via DefIcons. If it is still valid, it would be cool to fix that...
Old 17 June 2021, 16:38   #40
koobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP View Post
Wow! How awesome! I never expected this!

New feats? Well, support for more mod formats obviously! =)
Any particular formats?