English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 May 2013, 00:07   #1
dirkies
Zone Friend

Question Did anyone ever do this?

I remember back in the days I was recording Amiga tunes on a 90 minutes audio cassette to play them during other "playtime activities" as background music, just as I did with C64 tunes. (demos, games, cracktros etc). Created a nice atmosphere being with buddies, and we often ended up quitting whatever else we were doing (playing with scaletrix, trains, etc) and played some cool games instead

Anyone else did this type of recordings? Sadly I lost all tapes, but I do remember I made lists of the games and intros being recorded.

Try to explain that to the mp3 youth of today!
Old 27 May 2013, 00:19   #2
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

I remember having some Amiga tunes on my mix-tapes, somewhere in between Scatman John, and Snap!

These two comes to mind:

[ Show youtube player ], of course without the sfx

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 May 2013, 00:26   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I still have two of my Amiga and two of my C64 recorded audio tapes. Later I created the same compilation in mp3s.
Old 27 May 2013, 00:41   #4
amiman99

I did that!
Mostly game music from C64 and Amiga.
Old 27 May 2013, 00:48   #5
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I still also have one SONY HF-90 audio tape where SIDE A is 45 mins loop of Cybernoid tune and SIDE B contains 45 mins of Cybernoid II tune. What a music, Jeroen!
Old 27 May 2013, 03:15   #6
lost_loven

i didn't record anything but i use to let R-type play its music play on and on .. it would just loop. The drums in it still have me a awhhh today still! might have to crank that tomorrow after work before the wife gets home....

lost
Old 27 May 2013, 12:44   #7
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Yes , it was fun!
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=22146
Old 27 May 2013, 12:58   #8
roy bates

yeah i used to do this,its great fun.
Old 27 May 2013, 13:07   #9
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

I recorded the entire Turrican II soundtrack on tape, I used to play it while doing chores.
Old 27 May 2013, 13:23   #10
Cherno

I once recorded the intro song from "Eye of the Storm" (that spaceship game where you explore the upper atmosphere of venus and encounter space whales and illegal space whalers ). I was clueless and just held the cassette recorder near the amiga speakers, resulting in a sub-par quality to say the least

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 May 2013, 13:28   #11
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

i used to record Amiga music on tape all the time until the advent of MP3 players.
Old 27 May 2013, 13:35   #12
s2325
Zone Friend

I'm using small and old media player connected to CRT TV with MP3 music from http://www.paula8364.com/ as background when browsing Internet or just sleeping.
Old 27 May 2013, 15:27   #13
lifeschool
Local Moderator

I certainly did that. I still have x5 tapes worth of 'computa tunes' from the c64 - AceII, Cybernoid, Last Ninja 2, Knucklebusters etc were some of my faves. I made some for the Amiga too but no idea where they are now - probably chucked em out. I used to hand them out to my teachers at school, although I think they were just being kind. I still listen to game music, most lately Risky Woods on loop, as the music is just too catchy.
Old 27 May 2013, 19:36   #14
StuntCarRacer

I did it too. Most memorable tune is Lotus Esprit Turbo, damn it rocks!

Old 29 May 2013, 20:26   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well no, although I did burn Amiga game music to CD when it was already retro and MP3 players were not invented yet
Old 30 May 2013, 03:45   #16
Djay
95th User

I used to record Amiga music to cassette using a microphone (don't ask), one time a mate came round and we completely forgot about the fact we were recording music and talked all the way through...

...it was quite funny listening to the tape back, the amount of BS we came out with... tsk
Old 30 May 2013, 05:04   #17
Mark Wright

I actually recorded and advertised for sale a C60 tape of one of my music disks back in 1990 - and I nearly sold one!

http://bitworld.bitfellas.org/demo.php?id=24095

The original CLI text before the selector had unpacked advertised my address and the tape, but the text was hastily changed by Silents UK's organiser at the time before mass spreading due to my original message being... perhaps a little unkind about the state of Silents UK :-)

Thing was, I hated the Amiga's hard stereo separation, so I used to work with its output split through a mixer (one channel was the hard L-R stereo and another channel was mixed-mono, dipped down in the mix) and wanted others to hear my tracks as they were intended. I added rudimentary reverb and some limiting before recording the tapes - about 5 in total!

Anyway, one guy from Germany ordered a cassette about 4 months after the disk's release (which felt like 4 years back then) but sent the payment in the form of some sort of outer-space alien foreign cheque which, aged 16 at the time, was useless to me. So nothing happened.

When Amiga Format belatedly reviewed the disk they also mentioned the tape. Wish I still had one!
Old 30 May 2013, 05:13   #18
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
I remember back in the days I was recording Amiga tunes on a 90 minutes audio cassette to play them during other "playtime activities" as background music, just as I did with C64 tunes. (demos, games, cracktros etc). Created a nice atmosphere being with buddies, and we often ended up quitting whatever else we were doing (playing with scaletrix, trains, etc) and played some cool games instead

Anyone else did this type of recordings? Sadly I lost all tapes, but I do remember I made lists of the games and intros being recorded.

Try to explain that to the mp3 youth of today!
I still do the same kind of thing today

I often have my A1200 playing through all the MODS on my HD while I'm coding away on the PC, very relaxing
Old 30 May 2013, 13:38   #19
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

I used to DJ a bit when I was in my early teens and on occasion played recorded amiga tunes for the crowd :-)
Old 30 May 2013, 14:18   #20
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Yup. I dd that. In fact, I "think" I might still have some cassettes about somewhere but even if I do, I have no cassette player LOL.

Back in the day, I recorded title music from Pinball Dreams, Turrican, Leander and a few others so my old man (RIP) could listen to them in the car to/from work!