English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 May 2021, 19:54   #161
CaptainHIT

Great stuff! Thanks for all your efforts!
Old 24 May 2021, 22:06   #162
honx

for now i skipped whd version of the game and use winuae for playing adf-version of the game because winuae allows me to save savestates at any time. but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
I have to report that saving after starting a new game, without getting to a check point, worked but after restarting the amiga the floppy didn't boot anymore stuck at a black screen with motor and floppy led on. It's like the floppy got corrupted.
same here. i also encountered that problem that saving ingame makes the floppy (in my case the adf file) unbootable. trying to boot goes directly into guru screen. now i have to load savestates from winuae if i want to continue because the game doesn't boot anymore...
Old 25 May 2021, 00:05   #163
BoozerDawg

h0ffman you crazy son of a b**ch!

Absolutely amazing
Old 25 May 2021, 11:23   #164
Paulthetall

Alright. I played the WHDload version from start to end. Nice outro with Metal Gear schemetics Reminds me of the intro of Metal Gear 2 of MSX.

Things I ran into.
1. cache thingy with sound. Had it only twice (finished the game in like 5 or 6 parts).
2. The roller at the lift on the floor with the 2 Arnolds is impossible to make, so I made a workaround on the roof accessing the elevator there. So not really an issue.

For the rest it worked sweet!! Congrats my man for your hard work! Looking forward to MSX2. Snatcher, Kings Valley 2 and more MSX fun!
Old 25 May 2021, 13:09   #165
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulthetall View Post
Alright. I played the WHDload version from start to end. Nice outro with Metal Gear schemetics Reminds me of the intro of Metal Gear 2 of MSX.

Things I ran into.
1. cache thingy with sound. Had it only twice (finished the game in like 5 or 6 parts).
2. The roller at the lift on the floor with the 2 Arnolds is impossible to make, so I made a workaround on the roof accessing the elevator there. So not really an issue.

For the rest it worked sweet!! Congrats my man for your hard work! Looking forward to MSX2. Snatcher, Kings Valley 2 and more MSX fun!
Well done pal! First confirmed completion!

If the rolling barrels room is the one I'm thinking of, it has a pitfall on the right and safe gap on the left. Going to the elevator, you need to get into gap first then run after the barrel to get to the door. Coming the other way you have to run straight down avoiding the pitfall. I verified every barrel room both ways to make sure they were possible but I might just double check it again when I do my v1.1 update.
Old 25 May 2021, 13:18   #166
h0ffman

does anyone have an image of the ADF after save when it becomes unbootable?
Old 25 May 2021, 15:20   #167
honx

i uploaded my adf image to zone. one funny thing: it doesn't boot when i reset the emulator.
if i load any configuration (for example a600) and power winuae on (fresh start) it does boot.
the game boots only once after power on, but only for the first time.
once i reset emulation (amiga-amiga-ctrl), no boot anymore...

http://eab.abime.net/zone/MetalGear.adf

on real a500plus i can't test floppy version because as i posted already i can't get past intro.

Last edited by honx; 25 May 2021 at 15:25.
Old 25 May 2021, 15:41   #168
h0ffman

OK, so the disk isn't corrupt by the sound of it but I suspect the vector base is getting moved by the os and accelerator.

This shod be simlle enough to fix. Thanks.
Old 25 May 2021, 17:53   #169
Paulthetall

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
Well done pal! First confirmed completion!

If the rolling barrels room is the one I'm thinking of, it has a pitfall on the right and safe gap on the left. Going to the elevator, you need to get into gap first then run after the barrel to get to the door. Coming the other way you have to run straight down avoiding the pitfall. I verified every barrel room both ways to make sure they were possible but I might just double check it again when I do my v1.1 update.
Its not the way from elevator to the door which is a problem, because that works (can be done). But it's the way around from door to elevator.
Old 26 May 2021, 15:29   #170
Tomislav

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
i uploaded my adf image to zone. one funny thing: it doesn't boot when i reset the emulator.
if i load any configuration (for example a600) and power winuae on (fresh start) it does boot.
the game boots only once after power on, but only for the first time.
once i reset emulation (amiga-amiga-ctrl), no boot anymore...

http://eab.abime.net/zone/MetalGear.adf

on real a500plus i can't test floppy version because as i posted already i can't get past intro.
Do you use your own configurations or Quickstart (QS)? Also, do you have default.uae?

I tested QS A500, A500+ and A4000 and with them game work. With QS A600 game don't work, but when I add fast ram it works. I suspect possible absolute address loading.
Old 26 May 2021, 16:21   #171
honx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
Do you use your own configurations or Quickstart (QS)? Also, do you have default.uae?
i used several own configurations (ranging from a500 plus extra slow ram, a600 up to a1200).
i never use quickstart configurations, because i need filters and scanlines and such goodies.
Old 27 May 2021, 14:59   #172
Nightshft

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
OK, so the disk isn't corrupt by the sound of it but I suspect the vector base is getting moved by the os and accelerator.

This shod be simlle enough to fix. Thanks.

The same happened here (ACA500+, Floppy). I played a while and also saved twice. After reset I had to powercycle the machine to make it boot again. It was before I read this and thought it's just a random temporary bug.

The disk still boots okay. It did not happen now in a quick test (booted the game, started it and reset the machine without having saved a game).
Old 27 May 2021, 18:54   #173
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
The same happened here (ACA500+, Floppy). I played a while and also saved twice. After reset I had to powercycle the machine to make it boot again. It was before I read this and thought it's just a random temporary bug.

The disk still boots okay. It did not happen now in a quick test (booted the game, started it and reset the machine without having saved a game).
I have a feeling this is because Setpatch is moving the vector base and that is resident after a reset but not a power cycle.

I've already prep'd a new bootblock, just waiting on some testing.
Old 27 May 2021, 21:14   #174
h0ffman

OK, so absolutely nothing to do with vector base, caches, nothing like that..

lets just say it's a f**king miracle the thing booted at all!
Old 27 May 2021, 23:23   #175
Superman

Glad you seem to have found the issue!
Old 15 June 2021, 20:52   #176
ChefDeadpool

Hey h0ffman,

I've been spending a little while each evening working my way through the game this past week.

I'm really enjoying this. Thank you for porting it! I never did finish it on the NES, and this is a huge quality-of-life upgrade.
Old 10 August 2021, 14:53   #177
Wavemaker

For those who find the game hard... it is at the beginning. But that's mostly because you haven´t figured out the guards yet. Soon you get loads of gear and you also get a feeling for how far you can push your luck, and it gets really easy. Especially given that you can drop rations and ammo from guards if you punch them, which is a feature that is not in the MSX game as far as I recall (or was it removed from the NES one? can't remember). It was probably intended to reward sneaking up behind guards, but the result is that you have virtually endless ammo and rations. Which puts the focus on puzzle solving rather than stealth.
Old 10 August 2021, 15:11   #178
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

from what I remember the NES version is made easier than the MSX version. I think it even missed an attack helicopter boss somewhere.
Old 11 August 2021, 00:55   #179
Bren McGuire

it's not even the same game at all, it's completely rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
from what I remember the NES version is made easier than the MSX version. I think it even missed an attack helicopter boss somewhere.
Old 20 August 2021, 12:24   #180
The Brave Ant

Smile

Thank You very much Hoffman for the game.

I like the variety in options in the menu, that´s fantastic, really, I can chose english, spanish or japanese even 50Hz or 60 Hz or the type of Joystick, the inclusion of a sound menu is also great, now I can listen the original music from there without needing to go to Youtube.

I can now have save states wich is nice, that feature wasn´t in the original MSX cartridge.

I must say that I have an MSX since 1987 but I never played Metal Gear back then, I played It many years later with an MSX emulator and I bought the Metal Gear cartridge for the Game Boy Color.

I am surprissed of the quality of this port, really good!, just seeing the variety of options in the main menu You gained me

The graphics are the same of the MSX, with a few differences, like the portraits in the transceiver screen for example, that´s a nice touch, I preffer that than being all remade in a modern fashion, It´s just my opinion an my taste. And the game is a bit faster than the original, just a bit, in a good way, the movements of the characters, the pace of the music, maybe is just an apreciation, It´s for me better than in an MSX2 emulator.

Well, I just have good words for Your astonishing work, It´s a delight play Your METAL GEAR! Thank You hoffman