English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 April 2021, 10:00   #181
sittingduck

What an absolutely epic tale, Turran. Only way to top it was that if the Windows 95 CD that #1 got in trouble for had had an X on it (as in XPD's story)

Personally I made a small club of about 10-15 kids from school who also had Amigas and we pooled about 3 dollars each every month to buy copied games from a guy that I had found in an ad in a paper. We did that for a couple of years, and every batch of games came with printed flyers for all the new stuff that the supplier had gotten in. Pretty sure it was big business for him. I still remember his name - would be fun to find out if he ever got in trouble.

Us, we were just kids that didn't see the big picture regarding piracy. But we had a blast and I have fond memories of those days. I remember ads in the computer mags targeting pirates but that didn't really make us think too much.
Old 15 April 2021, 13:17   #182
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Wow great stories, thanks for sharing.

Just noticed that this 10 page thread is now exactly 10 years old today. I remember starting it as if it were only yesterday, amazing how time flies.
Old 15 April 2021, 18:46   #183
outsiderz
-[User]-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Maximilien/Paradox, do a Google search, he was probably the most famous one, I don't think anyone could top what happened to him.

WTF???
it´s happend in 2020. i have thought 1993.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/two-m...ecuter-custody
Old 15 April 2021, 20:50   #184
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
When guinea pigs get sick, they usually become food in the wild so they don't really have an immune system to handle it. At least that is how I was taught. Dont know if its true.
It's true that they die that easy at least, it is kind of amazing it lived as long as it did. One of ours died pretty much within hours after being left in a drafty hallway while the living room was being cleaned. Fragile little critters.
Old 15 April 2021, 21:35   #185
sparhawk

I never got caught, but I never did sell my copies either, except in one case. It was not worth the hassle, because when I exchanged and there was a bad disc, bad luck. If I asked money for it, then people demanded that I should replace it and it was not so much oney that it would be worthwile.
Only guy I sold copies, was a police officer. He was the contact person for the shops, so he regularly went around the street, chatting with the shop people. When we talked, he told me that he had a sun who also has this computer that i was so fond of (C64) and he asked me if I could sell him stuff. Since I wanted to stay on good terms with him I frequently gave him new programs.
The good side effect of this was that often enough my tickets for wrong parking "vanished" on his station.
Old 15 April 2021, 22:23   #186
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@sparhawk Glad to see the Polizei are just as corrupt as our British rozzers
Old 15 April 2021, 23:12   #187
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderz View Post
WTF???
it´s happend in 2020. i have thought 1993.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/two-m...ecuter-custody
I believe this is different thing, as that Galahad's post is from 2014.
Old 16 April 2021, 16:48   #188
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

still an interesting read though

Wikipedia has some stuff on Paradox and MAXiMiLiEN: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_(warez)

Last edited by gimbal; 16 April 2021 at 19:50.
Old 16 April 2021, 17:18   #189
outsiderz
-[User]-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I believe this is different thing, as that Galahad's post is from 2014.

ups, watch out for the post date.
Old 17 April 2021, 01:44   #190
Mixel

Never got caught but got a bit of a passive aggressive telling off from a vague family friend at one of my parent's parties who I didn't know was a game dev when someone asked why we still used/liked the amiga slightly past it's heyday and I was like "I like the software and you can copy stuff!"

And they chime in "And that's why the Amiga is dying and we don't make games for it anymore." Lol. Extremely embarassing yet funny in retrospect.

I didn't just mean copy games though in a piratey sense, he could see we had shelves of boxed games, I meant, mostly.. you can write stuff to disk, but was too late by that point and I was too dumb and un-assertive as a kid to put my case across properly.
Old 17 April 2021, 20:47   #191
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
still an interesting read though

Wikipedia has some stuff on Paradox and MAXiMiLiEN: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_(warez)
Wow it seems he got busted again in 2020, he is hardcore, pirate to the end. Hope he got off his case, normally if you get a criminal conviction they won't let you into the country or is that only with drug conviction?
Old 18 April 2021, 16:58   #192
sneeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Arcadia BbS raided Dec 1993. Long story

Telecoms fraud? 0800-890055 anyone?
From memory, wasnt that at&t? And your missing a zero before the 89 I think. I think a friends board actually had its number blacklisted as so many cards where being used to call it in the mid 90s.

089,090 and 091 where all country direct lines so you could call abroad for free from the uk.
Old 18 April 2021, 18:02   #193
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

No, brazilian operator... BlueBox... Bleep Bleep Kerchunk.... Blip Blop etc and you are away... Allegedly
Old 20 April 2021, 16:29   #194
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

the back to the bbs video series is looking at doing a video on the underground warez scene and is looking to interview people who were a part of the Amiga scene back in the day.

I know there are a few people on here who were active on the bbs scene back then (as I was). If any of you have interesting stories to tell and want want to be interviewed I can gladly pass your name on.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 April 2021, 18:27   #195
outsiderz
-[User]-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
the back to the bbs video series is looking at doing a video on the underground warez scene and is looking to interview people who were a part of the Amiga scene back in the day.

I know there are a few people on here who were active on the bbs scene back then (as I was). If any of you have interesting stories to tell and want want to be interviewed I can gladly pass your name on.

[ Show youtube player ]

nice one.
Old 21 April 2021, 01:32   #196
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Always wanted to be a scene "member", but here in NZ, it was bit of a quiet area
Not saying there wasn't a scene here, it just wasn't as prevalent as overseas