English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 January 2004, 18:28   #61
Chipmunk_UK_1

Send a message via ICQ to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via MSN to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via Yahoo to Chipmunk_UK_1
Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
winUAE restarts? When i tried to restart, I got an illegal operation error .

Do you know what's going on Chipmunk? I have DX8 or summat, Win98, P3-866, 256 RAM, TNT@ based vidcard, sb compatible soundcard.
Yea, that's probably my fault... I've just noticed that I never give back memory that I use for the samples (over 600k) so when you re-start, it just tries to grab and grab and grab... eventually you'll run out of memory...

Win98 is particularly sensitive to this... Tho other than that, it should work ok...

However you do need to run it at 44100/Stereo to get the clicks to work (or mono if you download the latest latest build from here, I sugguest getting this anyway, just to be sure )

I'll fix that memory thing and upload a new exe over the weekend (hopefully)
Old 09 January 2004, 22:29   #62
Amiga1992

I got it to work PERFECTLY with the new build, and it pulled a smile off my face

HOwever, what's that "swoosh!" sound in there? That sounds kind of odd and strange.

Of course my Amiga drive sounded FATTER, but this highpitched one does the job for me for now. Only that "swoosh" bothered me

Another one: Whenever you first insert a disk, you hear a "sschhhik!", I think it's the spindle in the middle trying to find the disk holes and scratching the metal plate. Would that be reproduceable?
Old 09 January 2004, 23:39   #63
P-J

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Another one: Whenever you first insert a disk, you hear a "sschhhik!", I think it's the spindle in the middle trying to find the disk holes and scratching the metal plate. Would that be reproduceable?
It should all be possible, it's just the 'timing' and 'variation' that's difficult to reproduce.

Does anyone has some high quality recording equipment and a rough sounding A500 to record some real good samples? If not I could try and borrow some kit to make a good recording...

Anyone?
Old 09 January 2004, 23:49   #64
Amiga1992

Personally I wouldn't use an A500 diskdrive, I think I remember them all sounding damper than my A600/1200.

You can hear it more in one of the latter models so it probably eases the recording progress!

What equipment would be needed? Because I tried this once and all I got was shitloads of hisses and noise and very little of the diskdrive sound. I presume the magnetic field fucks up my mike?
Old 10 January 2004, 00:05   #65
P-J

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't use an A500 diskdrive, I think I remember them all sounding damper than my A600/1200.
Well, if you could select between them that'd be quite a feature! However it's probably not practical, so maybe the A600/A1200 option would be better.

Quote:
What equipment would be needed? Because I tried this once and all I got was shitloads of hisses and noise and very little of the diskdrive sound. I presume the magnetic field fucks up my mike?
Without actually trying, I'm not exactly sure. Your idea makes sense, since a magnet + a magnet = unpredictable movement. It would need to be a VERY quiet area, free from computer hiss and preferably done at night when environmental noise was at a low. If you like I could give a shot and see how it goes? I have a Shure SM-57 mic here, so maybe that'll get a good sound?

It's a shame Twistin' isn't here, since IIRC he was a wizard when it came to getting sounds recorded. Well, it's a shame he's not around at the moment for many reasons
Old 10 January 2004, 06:58   #66
Amiga1992

Yup, Twistin would resolve this problem.

I did try this with a Macintosh Classic II, mind you, besides the diskdrive's magnetic field, there's also the screen! My lame standard multimedia mike couldn't catch up shite.

Would be nice if you try it out and, if it works, I'll ask you for a favor Check out * for my Classic II diskdrive sample, that's the best I could get!

Last edited by Amiga1992; 14 August 2017 at 20:11.
Old 10 January 2004, 07:13   #67
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by P-J
If you like I could give a shot and see how it goes? I have a Shure SM-57 mic here, so maybe that'll get a good sound?
I dunno, but to get the best sound I would try a condenser microphone (they pick up "quiet" sounds much better than a dynamic). However I'm not sure when it comes to the magnetic field part, because condensers are often powered by a battery IN the microphone and I don't know if this produces a stronger magnetic field (because I don't know squat about electronics, really). An SM-57 would probably not capture such a good recording... But then again it's worth a try. I'll shut up now

You might want to ask Woodshed or FromWithin. They will most certainly be able to give you good advices!
Old 10 January 2004, 18:47   #68
hamster
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Hello Everyone,

It's been 11 years since I last touched an Amiga (A500). It's been PC ever since. But it's great to be back! I have a real Amiga 500... although currently with no leads, powersupply or modulator... until I get it going WinUAE is doing a fantasic job. Great Forum by the way!<Intro over>

I downloaded the .exe with the clicks. Nice job! A little too loud but it sounds very familar. I forgot it sounded so harsh. I remember the background which I thought was quieter...

Seems to work fine with all the games I tried. Say, would someone try it with "Cruise for a Corpse". In this I noticed that when the game finally loaded (floppy based rather than HD install ..which I should do) I notice a bit of a hiss generated from the last "click" when the game loaded and it stays in the background. I'll try this later again. This is just general feedback. But I really think the loading click sounds is a definite thumbs up. Anyone who doesn't like it can keep it off.

Gawd... I think it will be Cadaver tonight!
Old 10 January 2004, 19:01   #69
Konrad

Quote:
Originally posted by hamster
A little too loud but it sounds very familar. I forgot it sounded so harsh. I remember the background which I thought was quieter...
To loud ????? It's too quiet . I still own an Amiga 500 and an 4000 and they're both louder .
Old 10 January 2004, 19:12   #70
hamster
Zone Friend

I guess I'm just too used to Hard drives. A PC Floppy is fairly quiet once you have a floppy in the bugger.
Old 10 January 2004, 19:32   #71
Chipmunk_UK_1

Send a message via ICQ to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via MSN to Chipmunk_UK_1 Send a message via Yahoo to Chipmunk_UK_1
OK, thanks to EAB'er Hal, I now have some much better samples, and here are the results.

Let me know what you guys think!
Old 10 January 2004, 19:49   #72
hamster
Zone Friend

Chipmunk,

This sounds really good. Especially when the disk is being accessed... I like the subtle background of "motor background" noise... More real.

I tried this with Gods.

Having said this, I have'nt heard an original Amiga for quite some time but they are very realistic samples! :hoo
Old 10 January 2004, 19:57   #73
Chipmunk_UK_1

Quote:
Originally posted by hamster
Having said this, I have'nt heard an original Amiga for quite some time but they are very realistic samples! :hoo
Heheh, from what I understand, Hal took his amiga apart to get the mic close enough :eek

But they do sound much better than the ST samples that I had been using
Old 10 January 2004, 20:00   #74
hamster
Zone Friend

Hmmm... I just tried another... Elite... the loading sounding a power drill... very very fast clicks in very quick succession.

The Elite version I tried is a cracked version from Vision factory and the beyonders probably from Planet Emulation.

I never heard such an aggressive load but it could have been like that had I had this version back then. Just some feedback I hope I'm not misleading anyone....
Old 10 January 2004, 21:04   #75
hal
where am i ?

yes i had to take it apart
it's no way to hear the motor with the mike i had otherwise
Old 10 January 2004, 21:33   #76
hal
where am i ?

yes the sound is a bit more realistic now
however the drive doesn't stop the motor so often
it spins out after a about 5 and a half second (you can analyse the wave for exact timing)
if the drive is accessed before the drive spins out the timing restarts (i think but not 100%sure on it would bet on it though)
the re read in a spinning sounds slightly different than starting the motor again
still as far as i remember it has to start the motor if an access occurrs in the end thud
(hope you understand my babbling)

just notes to perfect the thing
what you've already done is quite good
in fact very good

good to know if i've been of any help

Last edited by hal; 10 January 2004 at 21:38.
Old 10 January 2004, 22:12   #77
P-J

Quote:
Originally posted by Chipmunk_UK_1
Let me know what you guys think!
Yeh, bang up job Hal and Chipmunk! Love the new sounds.

They sound a lot better through speakers than headphones but it's much more like an amiga now! A lot more variation to the sound.

Good work guys!
Old 11 January 2004, 03:37   #78
Avanze
Amiga User

I don't post much here, but good work guys.

I was just thinking - how about an 'eject' sound for a disk; when removing an adf? if there is an 'input' sound. Why not?

Unless this would create a conflict?

just an idea.

Last edited by Avanze; 11 January 2004 at 03:49.
Old 11 January 2004, 11:08   #79
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Hehe. I've tried this version of WinUAE and - it's really cool. It's so true that the sound of the floppydrive was an essential part of the Amiga experience.

Still, I'll have to agree that the sound needs to be harder and louder. I remember my old A500's drive would almost scare the neighbors...
Old 11 January 2004, 12:51   #80
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Oh I forgot to add that I really really think this should be implemented in the official WinUAE as well (along with a tickbox of course). It brings a little more life to the emulator...