English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 August 2003, 18:11   #1
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Dizzy's Excellent Adventures

Fairlight release,GURU after reading end of diskette and few sectors at start,even crashes WinUAE when i setting CPU towards chipset 4 (used configuration based on what is it on Back to the Roots) tried kickstart 1.2 1.3 2.0 .. various memory settings,ECS OCS chipset. Any suggestion ? It works on WinFellow.
Old 09 August 2003, 12:44   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

R8? Most likely caused by stupid compiler optimization bug in R8. Try reverting to R7. Fixed version will be released soon.

WinUAE can crash if "more compatible" or cycle exact is not ticked and program does something very stupid. I am not going to fix it because I don't know how to fix it without causing unnecessary slowdown.
Old 10 August 2003, 11:59   #3
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Quote:
Originally posted by Toni Wilen
R8? Most likely caused by stupid compiler optimization bug in R8. Try reverting to R7. Fixed version will be released soon.

WinUAE can crash if "more compatible" or cycle exact is not ticked and program does something very stupid. I am not going to fix it because I don't know how to fix it without causing unnecessary slowdown.
yes R8 .. thanks for already fixing it :-) ... (damn .. its getting hard to find any bug .. which is of course good to see! )
Old 28 August 2003, 22:33   #4
Fjrb

Re: Dizzy's Excellent Adventures

Quote:
Originally posted by spajdr
Fairlight release,GURU after reading end of diskette and few sectors at start,even crashes WinUAE when i setting CPU towards chipset 4 (used configuration based on what is it on Back to the Roots)
Btw, that setting has nothing to do with the emulation per se of the CPU. It merely arbitrates the PC CPU time priority dictated to Amiga CPU or Amiga Chipset emulation. I.E: close to Chipset more PC CPU power\time to emulate Chipset. It's completely arbitrary and has nothing to do with the correctness of either the CPU or Chipset emulation. It's just a tool to manualy determine and set arbitration since Amiga timing is complex and getting it right automatically has been a problem, especially on slow PC's which for the most part won't get it right, period, making this setting a nice way to 'fake' good results - IE: sound outright going beserk and fixing it by manually steering some PC CPU power to feed the Chipset.