English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 14 March 2004, 21:22   #1
Lionheart

Uridium I Demo

Hi!!! http://eab.abime.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Has anybody got the Amiga demo version of this classic game that appears on this page http://hem.passagen.se/godabe/uridium/formats.html ???

It seems wonderful, how the gameboy color that appears too.

Last edited by Lionheart; 15 March 2004 at 20:40.

Old 14 March 2004, 22:12   #2
khephren

Puzzled by a demo cracked by Defjam/Angels from the demo screenshots.
Old 17 November 2022, 23:08   #3
Crashdisk

It was a long wait, I know, but it was after I found it that I saw this topic...
In The Zone!

Corrected original post link
Old 18 November 2022, 00:10   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Okay, but still I am totally confused. If it is a fan game attempt, why is there that Defjam / Angels thing? Did they only hacked a text in a public free demo? Or Defjam / Angels were somehow involved?

Anyway, thank you for the upload.
Old 19 November 2022, 02:10   #5
SyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdisk View Post
It was a long wait, I know, but it was after I found it that I saw this topic...
In The Zone!

Corrected original post link
18 years later, I don't use Lionheart as nick anymore, but let me tell you: THANK YOU!!!

At last, I can see and play with this playable demo. And the demo shows that it could have been a great conversion to Amiga.

Surely, there is an interesting story behind this project. The shame is that the crackers deleted the coder name, but at least we have the credits for the graphicians and the musician.

A good thing is that the crackers didn't delete the debug and symbols hunks, making possible to get a nice disassembly.
Old 19 November 2022, 18:16   #6
Crashdisk

I'm a bit puzzled about this demo, I'd lean more towards a homebrew than a prototype of a commercial game. Now, if anyone finds any information about this prod, that would be great!
Old 19 November 2022, 20:41   #7
rygar

On website from first link there's info that screenshots for Amiga version was send to website author by Kenz.
I belive it was Jason 'Kenz' Mackenzie active on C64 scene. Maybe someone can contact him and ask about it?
Old 20 November 2022, 17:50   #8
SyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
On website from first link there's info that screenshots for Amiga version was send to website author by Kenz.
I belive it was Jason 'Kenz' Mackenzie active on C64 scene. Maybe someone can contact him and ask about it?
I opened this thread in 2004, after asking Kenz, he told me that he was very busy with his c64 projects and when he would get sometime, he would search the ADF... I sent another email some time later, but not luck.

I don't remember well, if he told me that the demo was made for some of his friends.

But sure, somebody can write him and maybe we will have more luck this time.
Old 27 November 2022, 15:05   #9
zzbylu
Saberman

Gameplay: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 December 2022, 00:36   #10
mindeater

Hey, this popped up on a friends Facebook the other day who passed it along to me.

Proper nostalgia, you can't escape anything these days it seems.

The Amiga Uridium 'demo' was something a few friends and I put together I think back in I think it must have been 1991, application coding was done by myself, some low level bits by Andrew Whittaker, who created the base layer as cross platform for the Atari ST also, but I don't think the main app code ever ended up on the ST.

The main graphics were crafted by my friend Andy Noble, pretty sure he did the sound fx also.

We'd been in the demo scene from C64 and Amiga for some years and began looking into games, this was one of our first attempts.

There's a bit of a story to this, as Andrew Whittaker did have a previous relationship with Graftgold, we both travelled down to visit the GGold offices and ended up meeting with Andrew Braybrook and Steve Turner. AEB was kind enough to print out the original C64 Uridium alien wave pattern source, which I still have here as dot matrix print out.

I don't believe much more was done on the project after the demo version which you've all seen, I think I added the mine chaser whatsit, not sure if that's in the demo.

I luckily went onto a 30 year career in games dev, mostly in tooling, which I'm happy to say I still enjoy to this day.

If you want to know anything else gimme a shout.

Cheers.
Old 01 December 2022, 07:34   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

First of all welcome to EAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindeater View Post
If you want to know anything else gimme a shout.
So this demo was a fan project, but you ended up showing it to Graftgold? What was your connetion with Angels / Defjam (if you can tell us )?

Do you still have another demo version?

I think I'll create an entry for the demo on HOL soon. The story behind it is quite interesting.
Old 01 December 2022, 09:56   #12
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindeater View Post
...The main graphics were crafted by my friend Andy Noble, pretty sure he did the sound fx also.
the same Andy Noble that developed the Jet Set Willy remake?

very talented, i have spent so many pleasant hours on that game

many thanks for the info shared here
Old 01 December 2022, 12:02   #13
mindeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
the same Andy Noble that developed the Jet Set Willy remake?

very talented, i have spent so many pleasant hours on that game

many thanks for the info shared here

That's him yes, he's been active in the retro gaming scene on various projects like that.
Old 01 December 2022, 12:36   #14
mindeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
First of all welcome to EAB

So this demo was a fan project, but you ended up showing it to Graftgold? What was your connetion with Angels / Defjam (if you can tell us )?

Do you still have another demo version?

I think I'll create an entry for the demo on HOL soon. The story behind it is quite interesting.
Thanks for the welcome.

I guess it was more than a fan project, in that AndyW had perhaps unrealistic expectations that we might release the completed project as a retail Amiga/ST conversion. I was only a kid back then.

Thats what led us to visit GGold and start to form that relationship.

As for connections to Angels/Defjam, while I never had any official involvement with any teams like that, things were very different back then wrt distribution of content, what with no internet (how old am I!).

Everything was done my snail mail, with people I used to know sending batches of disks of in order to share the latest warez.

I believe a friend of mine had some connection into that world and used to beg us for 'cool stuff' to send, I've asked him if he can shed any more light on it as we're still very much in touch. We were always putting various demos and projects together which would inevitably get put out and get 'cracked' (distributed) by somoene else.

I doubt I have a version of the demo, I have a bunch of Amiga discs in the loft, but I don't know if they'd still be usable and if they were, its unlikely I'd find anything related to that from so long ago.

I've attached a pic of the original C64 printout of the Uridium alien wave data, the hand writing is Andrew Braybrook's, still gives me goose bumps that I met him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-11-27 16.59.32.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	709.8 KB
ID:	77279  
Old 01 December 2022, 12:41   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you for the information and the photo That the demo was meant to pitch the project to Graftgold is really interesting.