English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 26 August 2022, 18:12   #1
wongojack
Aim for the Flattop

Wongo has come to the EAB

Hey folks - I've posted on Lemon sporadically for a while and have made my way around the forum sites for years. As forums are dwindling a bit, I mainly spend my time on AtariAge, but I like to talk about all types of video games classic, modern, whatever. I am wongojack pretty much everywhere, so you might see me pop up here and there. I can never get enough of this sh!+, so I am constantly trying out old games and computers or consoles that I've never tried before, and I like to come and talk about it.

Playing Games

In this specific moment, I am playing the Return of the Jedi arcade game a lot and also poking around with Spectrum emulation. I also threw a few high scores into the Intellivision high score club recently, and I finally won Defender of the Crown on the Atari ST, but I am just as likely to move on to something completely different this weekend. Who knows.

Collecting

I don't have many collecting goals anymore. I play a lot of original consoles and computers with flash carts as my preferred method of actually playing games, so that has slowed me down quite a bit, and the allure of storing cardboard boxes inside other boxes inside a closet has worn off. The area where I tend to be weak is Gameboy. If I see a big Gameboy lot, I have to check it out. Those games take up so little space that I tend to splurge when I shouldn't.

Modding, hacking, repairing

I tinker quite a bit, but I'm no engineer. I've built custom controllers and repaired many consoles and controllers. I currently have a front loader NES opened up where I think the voltage regulator is bad (but it might be worse). I'd like to build one of those replacement PCBs from scratch some day and have designs on even building a computer from chips. Would also like to recap and future proof my Vectrex and Asteroids Deluxe arcade machine - a bunch of other projects like that.

Programming

I used to do some but haven't really found the time or motivation lately. Most of what I did would be considered hacking or bug fixes. I'm not a good "blank canvas" type of guy, but I can figure stuff out.

Favorite Game
Whenever I am asked to pick the game that influenced me the most, I usually say Pitfall! for the 2600. I was born in '76 and was just a young kid. It really captured my imagination to be able to control a human character on the TV. If pressed for my favorite game, I'll say Pirates! for the C64, but I have had so many games influence me that it's hard to pick one. I never owned an Amiga, but I had that friend who did. We used to play loads of games together and interestingly spent A LOT of time playing Earl Weaver Baseball - good memories.

This might be a personal top 10 list I'd be satisfied with (for a few moments anyway)
  • Pitfall!
  • Pirates!
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Wing Commander
  • Tomb Raider
  • Resident Evil
  • Madden NFL 200x
  • God of War
  • Mass Effect
  • Batman Arkham xyz

Anyway - glad to be here

Last edited by wongojack; 26 August 2022 at 21:55.
Old 26 August 2022, 18:30   #2
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongojack View Post
I mainly spend my time on AtariAge
Hey wongojack,

Nice to see fellow AA'er here. Especially one from the sane camp haha.

Sincerely
youxia
Old 26 August 2022, 18:39   #3
wongojack
Aim for the Flattop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Hey wongojack,

Nice to see fellow AA'er here. Especially one from the sane camp haha.

Sincerely
youxia
I promise not to bring up the Amico (which is not a typo Amiga fans)
Old 26 August 2022, 18:51   #4
dreadnought

Haha, right. We have enough local drama as it is
Old 26 August 2022, 20:39   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Welcome to EAB Wongo
Old 05 October 2022, 21:58   #6
wongojack
Aim for the Flattop

Guys - how does one see a list of all the threads you've posted in? I've been going to my personal statistics, but that is several clicks in and doesn't show me if someone has replied to one of those threads - only shows me my last post.

Is there any way to show "threads I post in" ordered by the thread with the most recent response (from anyone)?
Old 06 October 2022, 20:19   #7
Nightshft

Welcome to the EAB wongojack,

nice to have you here.

Pirates! also was a favourite game of me on the C64 and I really liked Pitfall 2 in the early days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongojack View Post
Is there any way to show "threads I post in" ordered by the thread with the most recent response (from anyone)?
Go to "Quick Links" on top and select "Subscribed Threads". You can manually subscribe to Threads, but especially when you start or reply to a thread you will subscribe to it automatically and it will show up there.

Enjoy the time you've got only a few threads subscribed to, this list will grow largely, at least it does here on my side

Note that you can manage your subscribed threads in the UserCP. You can add or delete them and choose if you get a notification email or not.

Hope this helps.
Old 06 October 2022, 21:19   #8
wongojack
Aim for the Flattop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
Welcome to the EAB wongojack,

nice to have you here.

Pirates! also was a favourite game of me on the C64 and I really liked Pitfall 2 in the early days.

Go to "Quick Links" on top and select "Subscribed Threads". You can manually subscribe to Threads, but especially when you start or reply to a thread you will subscribe to it automatically and it will show up there.

Enjoy the time you've got only a few threads subscribed to, this list will grow largely, at least it does here on my side

Note that you can manage your subscribed threads in the UserCP. You can add or delete them and choose if you get a notification email or not.

Hope this helps.
I'm following you, but it seems that I do not automatically subscribe when I reply to a thread. I only see threads under "subscribed threads" when I manually click to subscribe. Is there an auto-subscribe option that can be turned on/off?
Old 06 October 2022, 22:37   #9
Nightshft

When you reply via "Go Advanced" theres a Subscription Option in the "Additional Options" Box below.
Old 07 October 2022, 04:40   #10
wongojack
Aim for the Flattop

Great tip - thank you
Old 07 October 2022, 07:43   #11
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Welcome, mate...
Old 07 October 2022, 17:28   #12
wongojack
Aim for the Flattop

If any mods are watching. Can someone edit the very unfortunate typo in the subject of this thread?
Old 09 October 2022, 13:02   #13
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Hi, What an awesome name you have!