English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 19 October 2022, 18:11   #21
sviru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
yes, just copy bin/JST in C: directory on amiga side

you have to know how to transfer files to your amiga / mount harddisks with emulator.

if your harddisk is "download:" for instance from amiga shell:

Code:
copy download:bin/jst C:
JOTD thanks. I bought SERIAL port and cables. Installed amiga explorer from amiga forever. Works super well. It is slow - like a serial cable but it works! Still I cannot run any game with jst on my A500 rev 6a, 1mb chip + 2mb fast from A590. I copied JST into c:

When I lunch a game (jst XXXXXX.slave) there is a monit - whd emulator and so on... screen goes black and this is it.
Nothing else is happening. I'm on 3.1 KS. WB 3. Could you point me in any direction? I take jst from this site https://github.com/jotd666/jst/tree/master/bin

Download games from whdload.de (lha files) unpack them in total commander on PC and send them to amiga with amiga explorer. Run games from cli/shell on amiga.
Old 19 October 2022, 21:15   #22
jotd
This cat is no more

If you're using kick 3.1, whdload will be better in most cases, unless in some rare cases where whdload will flash-load and JST will choose not to let you exit to OS but use the maximum memory to preload the files.

Typically a 2-disk game using 1MB of memory will load perfect on JST (but no quit, no hiscore or savegames) whereas it will flash-load (flashing black screen due to OS swaps) in whdload.

Which games have you tested? I would suggest that you try a small &
512k chip game like Silkworm or Nebulus, with JST and whdload. Also prefer to transfer files packed, so if there's some data corruption, packers will detect it thanks to built-in CRC. zip will do, it exists on pc and amiga.

keep us posted!
Old 19 October 2022, 23:13   #23
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I noticed that the WHDload site hasn't got your "Castle Master 2 - The Crypt" WHDload installer update live on their pages yet.

http://whdload.de/games/CastleMaster2.html

Is that because your Castle Master 1 installer is for both games? It's slightly confusing they kept the old one live.

https://github.com/jotd666/whdload_s...ster2HDDev/usr
This sub-directory on GIT seems empty project except for the README.

Last edited by alexh; 19 October 2022 at 23:19.
Old 19 October 2022, 23:28   #24
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Yes, The Crypt is also supported by Castle Master v2.0 slave.
http://whdload.de/games/CastleMaster.html
Old 19 October 2022, 23:53   #25
jotd
This cat is no more

Oh just forgot to send that one to Bert apparently. This will appear in a few days. And for git, everything is there. Maybe you have a cache issue
Old 20 October 2022, 10:47   #26
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Oh just forgot to send that one to Bert apparently. This will appear in a few days.
It's live now. Thanks. If you have Fast RAM your WHDload slaves transform Freescape games. They are so much more playable. Looking forward to Total Eclipse and DarkSide if you find the time.

Quote:
And for git, everything is there. Maybe you have a cache issue
My bad. It was the fact it has an "empty" source file that isn't used that confused me.
Old 20 October 2022, 14:42   #27
CFou!

Quote:
and it's not over yet.
Old 20 October 2022, 22:35   #28
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
It's live now. Thanks. If you have Fast RAM your WHDload slaves transform Freescape games. They are so much more playable. Looking forward to Total Eclipse and DarkSide if you find the time.

My bad. It was the fact it has an "empty" source file that isn't used that confused me.

Working on Dark Side ATM alongside a ton of other projects. Epic is also running so good with caches and fastmem. Lots of releases to come
Old 21 October 2022, 01:34   #29
sviru

Quote:
If you're using kick 3.1, whdload will be better in most cases, unless in some rare cases where whdload will flash-load and JST will choose not to let you exit to OS but use the maximum memory to preload the files.

Typically a 2-disk game using 1MB of memory will load perfect on JST (but no quit, no hiscore or savegames) whereas it will flash-load (flashing black screen due to OS swaps) in whdload.

Which games have you tested? I would suggest that you try a small &
512k chip game like Silkworm or Nebulus, with JST and whdload. Also prefer to transfer files packed, so if there's some data corruption, packers will detect it thanks to built-in CRC. zip will do, it exists on pc and amiga.

keep us posted!
There was an issue with my joy! After disconnecting it started working... But still had problems with games that stated not enough ram... Flashback lowmem etc, cannon fooder. So i downloaded whdload and everything works - even thou I have only 1mb chip. I thought on 1mb chip whdload is worthless. But not the case here!
Old 21 October 2022, 10:32   #30
jotd
This cat is no more

whdload is better to swap the OS even with low memory. 1MB chip or 512k chip is not a problem for whdload. You have 2MB fast so OS memory can be backed up (whdload needs 1MB to save chipmem or maybe even less, considering that all memory isn't used by the system so you have 1MB fast left for whdload to allocate extra fastmem and operate) and even if you can experience black flashes when loading, most games should work.

Even if I wrote JST my advice is: if you can use whdload and you're satisfied, use it. If you have too many os flashes, you can try JST instead because in some cases it will be able to hold the whole game in memory (sacrificing quit to OS) when whdload can't.
Old 17 December 2022, 12:25   #31
Legerdemain

jotd, since I can not seem to post a comment on a Mantis report I made yesterday, I just write it here for the sake of it. The recent report I made on The Chaos Engine AGA, it is a mix up... you can disregard it altogether. It is not the AGA version I have run in NTSC previously... it has apparently never worked just as I can read in the previous reports people have made and I can see that it is not to be adressed as the OCS/ECS and CD32 version works fine in NTSC.