English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 April 2011, 11:28   #41
deicidal
Registered Insane

Not only that, sometime the crack puts bits back that have been taken out, like the quivering arms in Jedi Knight
Old 19 April 2011, 22:44   #42
MajicMushroom
Proper Old Skool Scener

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
The Police always seem to make an apperance at the Magnetic Fields / Digital parties, never seemed to do anything though
They turned up at 1 party and that had nothing to do with warez, it was to do with someone who came close to getting his head caved in.....
Old 19 April 2011, 23:22   #43
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajicMushroom View Post
They turned up at 1 party and that had nothing to do with warez, it was to do with someone who came close to getting his head caved in.....
Really I could have sworn they turned up top more than one but old age may be getting to me again
Old 20 April 2011, 00:08   #44
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I was at the Digital Symposium in Rotherham, and no Police turned up to that one.

Perhaps if they did, they might have prevented Cosy bringing Final Fight with him that had literally just been cracked, and well, it was all around the hall within 20 minutes!
Old 20 April 2011, 00:11   #45
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I was at the Digital Symposium in Rotherham, and no Police turned up to that one.
old age it is then
Old 20 April 2011, 00:19   #46
gilgamesh
Linux snob

One day my math teacher asked me for a manual with copy protection in it. I wonder why ever since.

Never got caught btw. and never heard of anybody ever getting caught.
Old 20 April 2011, 02:17   #47
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

I shared software with friends back in the day, I had one guy at school want GEOS, so I gave him that and then he tried to blackmail me into giving him a list of what else I had or I wouldn't get my GEOS back, sure pal, I gave you my only copy.

As a musician pirated software is painful to use, usually buggy and cannot be updated, so now I just buy anything I want or need, but buy it out of USA, even with the import tax and transport it's still about one third cheaper than here.

The same goes with games, if I want something I buy it whereas before I didn't have the funds or better morals.

I will always strongly believe in the black economy.
Old 20 April 2011, 03:42   #48
stefcep2

i got my first Amiga an A500 in late '94. Bought it off the Trading Post. When I went to pick it up, the lady selling it said she had other software i could buy. by that she meant she could get ANY software i wanted. She showed me a wall-to wall filing cabinet (2.0m high x 4.0 m wide full of floppies.

But she said her "business" wasn't doing as well as she was led to believe by the person she bought it off, now that Commodore was broke (which I didn't know). She said she was thinking about suing the guy for misrepresenting how well his software business was supposed be doing before she bought it off him!
Old 20 April 2011, 04:40   #49
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

DDNI's opening post made me chuckle... IT?.. what's that?

My school had PE, TD, RE, much STD and Pot-er-eee!

And some old geezer teaching us computer studies (I obtained an E in CSE!!)

The guy I was aquanted with at the boot sale was busted and had his Miggys, TV and Video taken.
Yes, his VCR!!
Old 20 April 2011, 15:46   #50
-=SPY=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I didn't get caught, but stopped using calling cards after a few influential mates were tracked down using them.

After whiteboxing stopped working there was at&t cards or blue box

both were dodgy as hell to use ..

1800 at&t numbers would log each number it was dialed to so easy to track people who abused it.

I use to sell games for $5 a pop and spent the money on cigarettes and magazines hahahahha life was fun at 15

I only knew of 1 person in the whole time I had an amiga and was in the scene that got busted for piracy of games cause he was selling them and advertised in the trading post and also sold games at his work which was a computer store so not to bright.

Last edited by -=SPY=-; 20 April 2011 at 15:52.
Old 22 April 2011, 08:13   #51
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=SPY=- View Post
I use to sell games for $5 a pop and spent the money on cigarettes and magazines
Old 22 April 2011, 10:15   #52
Claw22000

I have copied everything from credit cards to games to music to movies and beyond. I had the Jolly Roger and anarchyst books the works. Bluebeep. And a Lineman's handset to phreak on the boxes around the neiborhood. I did it all before I was 18. I've been pretty good ever since. Might find the ocasional MP3 just sitting on my drive. Don't know how it got there but I delete them after 24 hours evaluation period anyway.

I was a pretty naughty kid Never got caught.

My Dad did find my collection I had collected on BBSes back in the day. I though for sure I was done in but he sat down and said how do you get these. I showed him and he promptly bought a membership. I showed him how to hide and refind the files. He said dont' tell mom.
Old 22 April 2011, 10:26   #53
mikele

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcep2 View Post
i got my first Amiga an A500 in late '94. Bought it off the Trading Post. When I went to pick it up, the lady selling it said she had other software i could buy. by that she meant she could get ANY software i wanted. She showed me a wall-to wall filing cabinet (2.0m high x 4.0 m wide full of floppies.
sorry mate, but can't help vizualising some short-on-cash, good looking "cougar" who opens up a drawer filled with STAG disks, telling you in sensual raspy voice "let's trade, you can have ANYthing ...you name it". Unfortunately back in the days I would end up with Miggy disks too :-)
Old 22 April 2011, 12:39   #54
s2325
Zone Friend

Old 22 April 2011, 14:04   #55
Wiking67
Blowing Out The Flame

Send a message via MSN to Wiking67
Had a large network and never had any probs
Old 22 April 2011, 15:44   #56
Paul_s

I was too busy dunking the heads of Atari ST users down the toilets at skool back in the day...

One of my friends used to come to my house evry friday evening to play on my 500 - he always brought a load of copied games with him.. but I felt dirty and just paid for the games I really liked... never got caught as I never copied them for other people or take orders...

Last edited by Paul_s; 22 April 2011 at 15:54.
Old 22 April 2011, 16:32   #57
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
well one things for sure piracy has`t killed the industry yet
Old 22 April 2011, 17:44   #58
CritAnime

I was busted at college making "backups" on their cd burner, this was like 1999 - 2000. But it never went further than a slap on the wrist. After that I never made "backups" again for anyone other than myself.
Old 23 April 2011, 06:23   #59
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Happy

Quote:
I forget the name of the guy who ran the stall, but the front of the stall, it looked legit, it sold mouse mats, floppy disks, joysticks etc. Behind the stall however, their was a small space closed off my tarpaulin.
Funny, sounds like a sort of "VIP area".
Back in the happy days, I'd called it "backdoor", but this term now has become too spoilt by standing for malware or virii

Quote:
It was rife at our school. There were so many C90 and C120 cassettes doing the rounds with Spectrum and C=64 games on them I think we were keeping TDK in business!
Yeah! And whilst the downer was that the datasette was so slooooow, THAT was the best of these cassettes: nobody would have accused you of pirating games! You could just make any curious one believe that you're swapping MUSIC, eh?
OK, however you had to be clever: you had to say you're swapping "hardcore metal" (or some other unusual genre) to prevent anyone from pulling out his walkman asking, "Could I listen to your cassette for a minute?" GOTCHA!

Last edited by andreas; 23 April 2011 at 06:44.
Old 26 April 2011, 09:39   #60
mikele

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
well one things for sure piracy has`t killed the industry yet
sure it hasn't, only industry associations want us believe in the theory of "virtual loss". When a kid downloads Photoshop CS5 worth of $655 it's quite naive to presume Adobe's loss of forementioned amount of money that could have been paid but stayed in wallet instead, as this person probably couldn't afford one at the time. It's called "lucrum cessans" - a loss of expected profits, contrary to loss actually suffered ("damnum emergens").