English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 March 2013, 00:19   #1
Dragon

Completely stuck setting up large CF / SD hard drive on Amiga 1200

Hello all, this is my first post and it will be lengthy, so here goes.
I was given an Amiga 1200 recently by a great mate of mine. I have fitted it with an ACA-1232/33 accelerator card, internal 2.5" IDE SD/CF drive, Indivision AGA Mk2 A1200 flickerfixer and a HxC Floppy Emulator.
Here's my problem. I cannot successfully partition and format the SD cards. I have an 8gb Sandisk SD card and a 32Gb Transcend CF card. I initially managed to partition the SD card using Workbench 3.1 and HDToolBox. I setup a 200Mb partition for WB and rest of the card was split into 2 large partitions for games.
I was not happy with this. I wanted one large partition for games plus the small partition for WB. My real preference was to setup the 32Gb card but WB would not even recognise this card. I rooted my install of WB3.1 by playing around with the files and trying to update the scsi.driver.
Back to square one. I decided to do the bulk of the work on WinUAE now I am completely confused and stumped .
I have no idea how to navigate WB3.1, this is all new to me, so after trolling the net on the how-tos and how not-tos of installing large CF/SD cards I have discovered I am out of my depth I am confused and going around in circles, but I will not give up on this.
I have read that Doobreys SCSI patch is the bees' knees, and then I discovered that if I want to use PFS3.53 I need to look at Cosmos excellent SCSI 43.47 patch.
How the heck do I install these file systems and device drivers? How do I use spatch? How on earth does someone do this without WinUAE? Is there a guide for morons around that would get me going?
To give you an idea of how basic my knowledge is, I only just found the AmigaDOS shell and no commands worked because I was in the wrong directory. Help, and please be gentle and keep it simple

Cheers,

Ben

Old 02 March 2013, 20:34   #2
fgh

The easiest would be to use the 8GB initially, as you don´t need to patch scsi.device at all to use this card.
You do need a new file system though, and your best choice is PFS3 AiO version by Toni Wilen.
With the 8GB SD card and PFS3 AiO you do not need to consider IDEfix or doobrey´s patch or any other scsi.device patch, and maxtransfer and mask settings can be left at the default.

You need hdtoolbox like last time, but with the PFS3 AiO file available. It is possible on the A1200 (from floppy) or in WinUAE. Sounds like you need WinUAE later anyway, if you want more than 4GB of games... (!)
When you partition the card, you can make larger partitions than 4GB, just keep dragging when it resets the displayed size (It´s just a GUI-bug).
You need to add the filesystem, and then select it for each partition, and set the dostype to 0x50445303 (PDS3), also for each partition.

Afterwards you need to reboot and QUICK format (using the normal amigaOS format function) the partitions.
Old 02 March 2013, 20:47   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

To install PFS3 I made a short guide:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=831346&postcount=14
Old 02 March 2013, 22:23   #4
videofx

Thanks Retrofan,

I needed that guide! It will work for me even though I am inistalling a 73GB HD unsing PFS3-AIO
Old 03 March 2013, 09:12   #5
Dragon

Thanks fgh & Retrofan, the advice from both of you helped a lot. I got the 8Gb SD card setup and running on the Amiga 1200. With some good advice, anything is possible. Easier than I thought possible.
Can you recommend anything to display the hard drive capacities correctly within the Workbench GUI?

Thanks,

Ben