English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CARE

Old 18 October 2021, 15:53   #41
Deedolith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I'm not sure they want to do that.
They ? Mame team ? Certainly not as they do not provide custom releases (it is not their goal).
People (like me) doing custom releases, certainly interrested.
Old 25 October 2021, 22:57   #42
zambot3

"error opening translation file english" ?
Old 08 May 2023, 10:48   #43
jotd
This cat is no more

MAME has a github, you could provide a pull request with those amazing changes.

They're not complete jerks. I'm in no way a MAME developper, but I had proposed a PR for some obscure long 68040 TRAP instructions that had a bug in many emulators, and they integrated it.
Old 17 May 2023, 19:12   #44
SteveMoody

The code for this has been on Github for quite a while, I can try updating it to the latest verison of MAME and see if it builds, it's been broken before by core changes in MAME.

https://github.com/SteveMoody73/mame/tree/gfxsave

I don't mind creating a pull request for MAME but I wonder if they would be wary of changes like this. Being able to save potentially copyrighted material for use in other projects could be a problem for them.
Old 17 May 2023, 23:52   #45
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMoody View Post
The code for this has been on Github for quite a while, I can try updating it to the latest verison of MAME and see if it builds, it's been broken before by core changes in MAME.

https://github.com/SteveMoody73/mame/tree/gfxsave

I don't mind creating a pull request for MAME but I wonder if they would be wary of changes like this. Being able to save potentially copyrighted material for use in other projects could be a problem for them.

They already allow snapshots, videos and show tiles too. I don't think it would be a problem. Would be nice if it was integrated officially.
Old 05 September 2023, 22:20   #46
jotd
This cat is no more

BTW, dumped graphics in fullscreen mode and the dumps were truncated. I tried again with -window option and it worked fine
Old 07 September 2023, 12:57   #47
SteveMoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
BTW, dumped graphics in fullscreen mode and the dumps were truncated. I tried again with -window option and it worked fine

That's strange but never tied running it in full screen mode for this. MAME must handle it differently somehow.

I did try looking at the latest version of MAME to create a PR for this but had issues getting it to build under Windows. Unfortunatly I don't have much free time at the moment so will come back to this sometime in the future.
Old 14 February 2024, 14:53   #48
jotd
This cat is no more

The latest MAME version officially supports Marble Madness 2 / Marble Man which is great!

I've used "F4" and it doesn't display sprites AKA "Atari Moving Objects" which would be great as I may have projects of porting it to Amiga...
Old 16 February 2024, 22:31   #49
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
The latest MAME version officially supports Marble Madness 2 / Marble Man which is great!

I've used "F4" and it doesn't display sprites AKA "Atari Moving Objects" which would be great as I may have projects of porting it to Amiga...
It does display the sprites.

We need an update on mame tile save edition to at least 0.251.
Old 16 February 2024, 23:25   #50
jotd
This cat is no more

you're right! it shows the sprites. As 8x8 tiles! I think there's a "link" feature in the sprite engine that allows to "attach" sprites together.
Old 15 April 2024, 13:06   #51
jotd
This cat is no more

Other titles don't even have sprite display. Pity as for instance Shinobi doesn't have sprite display let alone save... Could have been a good candidate to try a port as it's 68000 (well game has an impressive number of independent layers, not sure how it would play out even on the A1200...)
Old 20 April 2024, 22:48   #52
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Other titles don't even have sprite display. Pity as for instance Shinobi doesn't have sprite display let alone save... Could have been a good candidate to try a port as it's 68000 (well game has an impressive number of independent layers, not sure how it would play out even on the A1200...)
This is perfectly normal. The titles that don't have the sprite display are not using a planar display. They are using Chunky bitmap display.

For instance, the Sega system 16/18 is mixing planar assets with bitmap chunky asset.

That's why you can only see the tiles in Shinobi, and not the sprites. In order to get the sprites, you need to use another tool than mame.