English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 February 2022, 09:29   #121
Valken

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAUniW View Post
Take the Commander X16, Mega65 and ZX Spectrum Next. All are hopelessly obselete by today's standards but yet they exist to serve as tributes to previous machines and functioning architectures with dedicated userbases.

AAA is the final Commodore era Amiga chipset. It would find a userbase and also be a fitting farewell to the classic machines, before the rise of the emulators and add-ons such as USB, CF and the Pi.

Plus both 2400 and 4800 cases would be pretty neat to have. The 2400 case would've likely been the first all-in-one case with a CD-ROM drive and the 4800 case would've been a tower from the beginning.
I understand what you saying... but we are and will be limited to what it could be used for.

For me, I rather have an Amiga with AmigaOS that has the BEST of 90s tech before PSX One Launched. Basically the best of 2D Sprite based pushing engine and before CD sound.

Why limit to AAA? Why not take the JUMP and make a machine really worth coding for today and still appear to be NG over AGA?
Old 20 February 2022, 16:07   #122
EAUniW

Last edited by EAUniW; 12 January 2023 at 15:20.
Old 20 February 2022, 16:48   #123
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Even if, it's a moot point since first two are not even available yet. Mega65 will most likely end up as an expensive collector's item with nul real user base. Spectrum Next has been out for quite some time now and frankly, there is only a handful of games for it, few of which are of any substance (and they're just "upgraded" versions of normal Spectrum games). By people's own admission, most are using it to play old games.

Even Vampier which has been out for years has few native titles, but. sure, for some reason everybody would flock to AAA and started writing soft like there is no tomorrow.
to pour here a little water in the wine... I had a discussion with some of the active amiga games developer recently. It seems that the motivation is similar to most demo developers... to get (with tricks) the most of a limited hardware, to be the "magician" who does something that is "impossible" to others. The newer hardware like vampire (or PiStorm) that has better hardware is not modern enough for them to use it still not on the same level as modern hardware not competitive. The old hardware is nostalgy, retro and much more challenging. I was surprised about that but it at least explains why we not got dedicated better games for V4. The same will propably happen with PiStorm. But at least the better hardware offers chances to get ports from PC that simply were not possible in the past. That is offering fun too.
Old 20 February 2022, 19:31   #124
Rotareneg

Quote:
Nah, the Amiga is rubbish.
So... bipolar disorder or just a troll?
Old 20 February 2022, 20:43   #125
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotareneg View Post
So... bipolar disorder or just a troll?

Quote:
I'm up for it. I mean, why don't we scout out the current boards and buy them and see what we can do? I'll chip in money and time and effort, if it means we can have a working and finalised AAA to tinker with.
Quote:
I just tried to download a 3D model of the 1200 to re-jig it into a 2400 and after 30 seconds I said fuck this shit, I don't have the time or passion to be a nostalgia nutter.

¯\_(?)_/¯
Old 21 February 2022, 01:05   #126
EAUniW

Old 21 February 2022, 23:54   #127
pandy71

Quote:
I was always more of an Atari 8-bitter.
Good for you, lot of ideas from 8 bit Atari was repeated and improved in Amiga.
Old 23 February 2022, 09:15   #128
EAUniW

Old 03 August 2022, 02:36   #129
Pyromania

@EAUniW

Did you complete your AAA Amiga 2400 yet? Pictures pretty please.
Old 03 August 2022, 04:08   #130
grelbfarlk

Since all the hard work is done, where do we get in line for the preorders?
I want the dual Muchacho CPU version with the VGA reinterlacer module for the Cabron GPU.
Also I would like the clockport MFM interface installed, I have this old drive that I can't be bothered to access any other way.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 03 August 2022 at 04:26.
Old 03 August 2022, 07:23   #131
Pyromania

@grelbfarlk

Don’t forget the Quantum computer co-processor card and the replicator add-on! 3D Printers are so passé when your A2400 has a replicator! Only AAA makes it possible.
Old 03 August 2022, 07:31   #132
dreadnought

Old 03 August 2022, 07:42   #133
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

But is it military grade?
Old 03 August 2022, 08:18   #134
Promilus

But the question is... will it blend?
Old 16 August 2022, 21:14   #135
pandy71

What about cassette tape adapter for Amiga - something new and modern, like for example two track (stereo) with channel cross talk cancellation and sophisticated signal coding - for example some form of the OFDM modulation? Next step would be similar approach for floppies - some complex RLL with PRML signal coding? Paula is quite dumb (some people says flexible) so it can be used by any legacy Amiga.
Old 16 August 2022, 23:06   #136
Thomas Richter

The really very last thing I need is a tape for storing programs. My boy, was I happy when I got rid of this slow, unreliable crap when I got my first disk drive for my Atari 8 bit. What you can get today are tapes for archiving. They spoke back then SCSI, and you can mount them in any Amiga if you can still find them with SCSI interface, but they do exist, even today. They *do* have something more sophisticated than FM today, of course - even back then they had when they spoke SCSI. But analog tape decks - no, please no.

A fast floppy with something better than MFM you can also get. It's called "hard disk", which is as of today also obsolete technology. Or, actually, if you want removable media, but a bit more retro, it's called "Zip drive". You can probably still find some - mine is still working. Most might have died the "click of death" by this time, though.

Hint: The media of today are flash drives, of some sort. SSD, USB thumb drives. Faster, more reliable, more robust.
Old 16 August 2022, 23:28   #137
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
But is it military grade?
Doomaster approved this message.
Old 16 August 2022, 23:33   #138
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
The really very last thing I need is a tape for storing programs.
True that. I say, vinyl or bust.
Old 17 August 2022, 00:20   #139
matt3k

I really enjoy my classic 3000 systems, but they are getting more problematic in time. I had them all recapped, now the power supplies are being redone.

For me I'm using MOS on a PM G5 mostly, since it has a real email client and browser and other nice items.

It would be cool to see another amiga entry for coding and fun, but given that there are soooo many options, not sure another one would catch on. Even the AOS4 crowd is 'starting over'. So many options all at a similar baseline.

The problem is that the application development for productivity, etc. is so slow and diluted, MOS is the only platform marching in that area effectively.

Still enjoy the classic stuff but nothing lasts forever...
Old 17 August 2022, 00:22   #140
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
True that. I say, vinyl or bust.
Why not 8-Track tape? Or even better Celluloid photographic film.