English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 February 2015, 15:37   #1
vulture

Shadow Warriors WHDLoad Help

Ok guys, so, my problem is simple:

I've tried every single Shadow Warriors WHDLoad version I could find and they all crash just before the final boss of the game with a disk seek error. I've even tried my own original disks to make the install, the same happens. Am I missing something obvious? Has anyone finished it on WHDLoad? If so, what version?

Thx!
Old 15 February 2015, 15:58   #2
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

It's a known problem of the WHDLoad patch (bug in the imager), I know about it started to work on a fixed patch but it will need a while until that one is finished, patience please.
Old 15 February 2015, 16:09   #3
vulture

Oh, thx Stingray! I hope it gets completed some day! Cheers!
Old 15 February 2015, 20:15   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
The real reason is there : There is 2 versions of this game, one is supported, and the other is not !

The supported one is the retail release. The justiciers 3 version (or any compilation version) is the one with the seek error.
Old 15 February 2015, 21:08   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
The real reason is there : There is 2 versions of this game, one is supported, and the other is not !

The supported one is the retail release. The justiciers 3 version (or any compilation version) is the one with the seek error.
Not true!
Old 16 February 2015, 00:50   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

I have both of them SPS 0830 (Retail) and 1679 (Retail ALT1).

Each of them installs with the patcher with no errors : TRUE

What are exactly the differences between releases 830 and 1679 ?

Release 830 :

- Disk 1 is fully amigados : TRUE
- Disk 2 : track 0 is amigados but all the other tracks are MFM tracks with 5632 bytes of data (tracks 1 to 69)

Release 1679 :
- Disk 1 is fully amigados : TRUE, BUT ! Track 0.1 has a copylock !
- Disk 2 is the same physically as version 830 ! MFM tracks with 1 sector/5632 bytes of data each (tracks 1 to 69)

You do agree with me that when a game use a different disk format, from the version supported at start by the whdload
coder, the imager fails right ?

The patcher should crash on one version, because it has a copylock when the other doesn't. This also means the slave
has to be modified to support the version which has the copy protection on disk 1. The other funny thing is that the
seek error is not on disk 1, but on disk 2 if my memory doesn't fail.

The very only difference in the disk format is the disk 1. Disk 2 from both release are 99,9% identical.

Since you're a coding legend, and well respected for that, from all the informations i have wrote here, can you please
tell me where i'm wrong ?
Old 16 February 2015, 01:20   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I have both of them SPS 0830 (Retail) and 1679 (Retail ALT1).

Each of them installs with the patcher with no errors : TRUE

What are exactly the differences between releases 830 and 1679 ?

Release 830 :

- Disk 1 is fully amigados : TRUE
- Disk 2 : track 0 is amigados but all the other tracks are MFM tracks with 5632 bytes of data (tracks 1 to 69)

Release 1679 :
- Disk 1 is fully amigados : TRUE, BUT ! Track 0.1 has a copylock !
- Disk 2 is the same physically as version 830 ! MFM tracks with 1 sector/5632 bytes of data each (tracks 1 to 69)

You do agree with me that when a game use a different disk format, from the version supported at start by the whdload
coder, the imager fails right ?

The patcher should crash on one version, because it has a copylock when the other doesn't. This also means the slave
has to be modified to support the version which has the copy protection on disk 1. The other funny thing is that the
seek error is not on disk 1, but on disk 2 if my memory doesn't fail.

The very only difference in the disk format is the disk 1. Disk 2 from both release are 99,9% identical.

Since you're a coding legend, and well respected for that, from all the informations i have wrote here, can you please
tell me where i'm wrong ?
A seek error has nothing to do with Copylock. A seek error is where WHDLoad requests to read data that is beyond the end of the disk image, or the combined start position and length of data exceeds the end of the disk image.
Old 16 February 2015, 01:34   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

OK phil, then since both disk.2 are the same, why one is correctly imaged and not the other ?

not minding the copy protection present on one version and not the other ?
Old 16 February 2015, 08:04   #9
vulture

@dlfrsilver

So, are you saying that you've encountered a whdload version of SW which can be completed? For what is worth, my own version is the retail one and I get no error during installation, but only after I play the game at the very point I've mentioned. From what Stingray said, I got that there's no error produced during the installation/imaging of disks, but due to that (silent) bug, the game is uncompletable as it is.
Old 16 February 2015, 10:34   #10
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Yes i have both version. So i'm going to install my disks, and post in the zone the working version

Version SPS 830 is supported

Version SPS 1679 is not supported (Patcher gives an error on disk 1 due to the copylock)

Shadow Warriors (your version, as well as mine, is the one with the "seek error").

I have checked the disk format of the seek error version disk 2, it's the same as the other versions.....

So i don't know where is the problem....

Check the zone for version 830.

EDIT : All 3 versions have the same disk 2 confirmed. The difference stands in the disk 1, where loading offsets change.
The game on the "Seek error" version tries to load an empty track (must be skipped inside the slave).

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 17 February 2015 at 12:04.
Old 17 February 2015, 13:21   #11
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Floppy disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
It's a known problem of the WHDLoad patch (bug in the imager)
Utter rubbish - there is no "bug in the imager".

The existing imager supports SPS 830, does not support the copylocked SPS 1679, but does support the 3rd version Denis speaks of. All 3 versions have an identical disk 2. Real data on tracks 2-139, 140 onwards are garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Ok guys, so, my problem is simple:

I've tried every single Shadow Warriors WHDLoad version I could find and they all crash just before the final boss of the game with a disk seek error. I've even tried my own original disks to make the install, the same happens. Am I missing something obvious? Has anyone finished it on WHDLoad? If so, what version?

Thx!
Rather than re-invent the wheel, I have modified Dark Angel's install, added a splash screen with the trainer options on it (activate the built-in cheat which allows 'Q' for invulnerability and 'Help' to skip levels), added a timer trainer, modified the code to skip reading track 140 on disk 2, fixed another access fault that can occur on the final boss, and here it is.

Note that the seek bug only occurs if you play through the entire level 6. If you cheat and hit Help to skip it, then it does not occur.

Try this beta version. Despite the misinformation from Stingray, you do NOT need to reinstall your disks as the imager will produce exactly the same disk images as Dark Angel's version did!
Attached Files
File Type: zip ShadowWarriors_v1.2Beta.zip (4.3 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by Codetapper; 17 February 2015 at 13:23. Reason: Added time trainer note
Old 17 February 2015, 19:31   #12
vulture

@codetapper

So, just to be clear, with this version you've posted I can get through the entire level 6 without cheating and get no seek error? Thx
Old 17 February 2015, 19:57   #13
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Yes - but you can cheat if you want to, just don't hit 'Help' to skip the final level as you will miss the game loading the final boss. Use the SPS 830 disk images as that seems the most complete supported version.

Last edited by Codetapper; 18 February 2015 at 01:56. Reason: Typo!
Old 17 February 2015, 20:13   #14
vulture

No, I was just about to complete the game properly when the error msg came up. I'll give it a spin, many thx!