English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 August 2011, 22:50   #1
zmame

GVP Series II A500 HD (formatting)

Hey,
I'm a bit of a Amiga n00b.. I have a A500 along with it I got a GVP SeriesII A500-HD 50mb. There where a bunch of usless files on it. I have the GVP install disk that came with the drive.

So I boot up workbench 1.2 and then load the GVP disk and the screen pops up and I click the installGVP and asks if I want to do auto install or manual.

So i click auto and comes up with an error and asks if I booted from install disk?..

so i shut down the amiga try to boot from the GVP install disk and it just asks for the workbench disk.

how do i format the drive?
Is this because im not running workbench 1.3?
Old 15 August 2011, 09:53   #2
Jope
-

You can format it by booting the machine, selecting the hard disk icon and then format from the menu.

However this will leave you with an empty hard disk, so don't do it quite yet, let's ask a few questions first:

Are you running 1.2 or 1.3 in ROM? The number is on the insert disk screen.
If 1.3, does the hard disk autoboot?
Old 15 August 2011, 23:48   #3
zmame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
You can format it by booting the machine, selecting the hard disk icon and then format from the menu.

However this will leave you with an empty hard disk, so don't do it quite yet, let's ask a few questions first:

Are you running 1.2 or 1.3 in ROM? The number is on the insert disk screen.
If 1.3, does the hard disk autoboot?

the drive is unpreped right now, it dose have a autoboot function.. So there is no partition currently on the drive.

I have workbench 1.3.2 on disk but the disk is corrupt.. so the only working workbench disk I have is 1.2..

thinking of just buying a HxC this pissing around with 25 year old floppys is getting on my nervs lol.
Old 16 August 2011, 08:10   #4
Jope
-

What about your ROM version, which is crucial information regarding how we continue.
Old 17 August 2011, 00:09   #5
zmame

Quote:
What about your ROM version, which is crucial information regarding how we continue.
Not %100 sure if this is what you want when I boot from workbench 1.2 says

AmigaDOS
Copyright Commodore 1987
All rights reserved
Release 1.3

if that isn't what your looking for can you provide some steps into finding out rom version?..

I appreciate your patients, Thank you.
Old 17 August 2011, 07:23   #6
Jope
-

Well this will do as well, I originally instructed you to look at the insert disk screen, where the number is also visible in large letters. :-)

But ok, this means that your Amiga has 1.3 in ROM and is capable of autobooting the hard disk.

Instead of using the automatic install, why not use Faastprep, which should be available on your GVP install disk?

There is one problem though, is your wb 1.3 disk totally dead, or can you copy l/fastfilesystem off it? If this is not possible, can you look at the GVP install disk and see if it has a copy of fastfilesystem on it (in the l directory)
Old 18 August 2011, 01:39   #7
zmame

Quote:
Well this will do as well, I originally instructed you to look at the insert disk screen, where the number is also visible in large letters. :-)

But ok, this means that your Amiga has 1.3 in ROM and is capable of autobooting the hard disk.

Instead of using the automatic install, why not use Faastprep, which should be available on your GVP install disk?

There is one problem though, is your wb 1.3 disk totally dead, or can you copy l/fastfilesystem off it? If this is not possible, can you look at the GVP install disk and see if it has a copy of fastfilesystem on it (in the l directory)

I managed to get it working!.. i think the problem is my floppy drive..

after about 100 GRR!! DRR!! noises and hitting the retry i got WB 1.3 to load.. then preped and formated with Fassstprep. then did another 100 or so GRR! DRR!! and hitting the retry to get 1.3 WB loaded on the hard drive.

I have a external drive but dosen't seem to work.. I put a disk in and just comes up DF1:bad even with a knowen good disk.

Going to try to take apart the drive and clean it.

Thanks again for your time I appreciate it!!

Cheers!