English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 20 July 2022, 22:44   #1
Firestone

TextEdit in AmigaOS3.2 on its own screen?

Is this possible? Can't find anything in the preferences.

One of the reasons I'm asking is because I use the syntax highlighting for amiga shell and arexx-scripts.
But the pens are limited to the first 8 colors, which in my case happens to be the MagicWB palette on my Workbench Screen.

I have always used CED on it's own screen, and I find it more practical than using a single window on the Workbench screen....
Old 20 July 2022, 22:51   #2
DisasterIncarna

ModePro the task into a public screen? Actually wouldnt mode promote for me, which is weird, but if you run it from CLI and type TEXTEDIT ? it shows one of its args is PUBSCREEN, which means you can send it to a pubscreen from cli or tooltype using PUBSCREEN=TextEdit (if you make a pubscreen called TextEdit) then that should work?

Theres qute a few tools on aminet for making/closing custom public screen as well as a MUI program i forget the name of atm? anyone? (or maybe thats just for MUI programs only? no idea) A quick search on aminet tho and theres plenty of pubscreen cli commands on offer.

https://aminet.net/search?name=pub+s...+open+close+wb

Hmm, tried the tools myself, made a screen and for the life of me, modepro doesnt work, nor does making a pubscreen manually and launching textedit, snoopdos is telling me textedit is failing to open on the screen... no idea why, anyone else have a clue?

Last edited by DisasterIncarna; 04 September 2023 at 09:02.
Old 20 July 2022, 23:33   #3
Swe_Kryten2x4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
ModePro the task into a public screen? Actually wouldnt mode promote for me, which is weird, but if you run it from CLI and type TEXTEDIT ? it shows one of its args is PUBSCREEN, which means you can send it to a pubscreen from cli or tooltype using PUBSCREEN=TextEdit (if you make a pubscreen called TextEdit) then that should work?

Theres qute a few tools on aminet for making/closing custom public screen as well as a MUI program i forget the name of atm? anyone? (or maybe thats just for MUI programs only? no idea) A quick search on aminet tho and theres plenty of pubscreen cli commands on offer.

https://aminet.net/search?name=pub+s...+open+close+wb
Well, Modepro itself has settings for creating generic pubscreens so using that to create a Textedit screen is somewhat straightforward. The main reason I always have modepro running actually since I don't use the promotion feature heavily (mostly for Bars & Pipes).

So if you always want textedit to run on its own screen, use modepro to create a pubscreen with an appropiate name and change the tooltype of textedit to reflect that. Then that pubscreen will be created whenever one starts textedit.

Works, but would be more straight-forward if there was a way of selecting screenmode straight from the program.
Old 20 July 2022, 23:39   #4
DisasterIncarna

Yeah i did that, but when i do that it doesnt work for some reason.
Old 20 July 2022, 23:43   #5
Swe_Kryten2x4b

No idea why that happens I'm afraid. It works for me...on 3.2.1.
Old 20 July 2022, 23:45   #6
DisasterIncarna

its not like modepro aint working, its working fine here on 3.2 and im already using it to do its thing on SimCity2000, FFPlay and various other stuff no problem......except for textedit for some reason. Snoopdos just shows LockScreen - Fail
Old 21 July 2022, 00:17   #7
Matt_H

I’d be surprised if TextEdit doesn’t have an option to be on its own screen. It might be a tooltype or a command-line argument- try PUBSCREEN for starters or check the 3.2 docs.
Old 21 July 2022, 00:34   #8
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
I’d be surprised if TextEdit doesn’t have an option to be on its own screen. It might be a tooltype or a command-line argument- try PUBSCREEN for starters or check the 3.2 docs.
check the attached picture in 1 of my links above, for me i used the PUBSCREEN= tooltype and snoopdos reports textedit fails to lock/use the screen, and modepro isnt working for me either. Maybe ive got some weird patch or something interfering, then again its working for other programs, kinda derailing the OP's original question however, best to see how he fairs.
Old 21 July 2022, 00:34   #9
Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Yes it does have a command-line argument and a tooltype for this, and it works, but the screen you want it to be on must be open already and public.
I know about these workarounds, and I guess I could use MUI PSI to create a screen first, then open TextEdit on it's own screen.

But strange anyway that the application itself does not offer the posibility to spawn it's own screen on launch