English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 23 January 2013, 00:28   #1
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Any reason not to strip sheilding from usb cables?

I got a bit of a strange idea involving recycling some internal usb cables from a dead shuttle. The cables are intact inside but the outer plastic shielding (beige stuff) is manky and damaged in some places. The idea is to remove all the outer shielding and then braid or twist the loose wires together, it would mean they are tidy and would take less space as they do at present. So these can then go into an a1200 or back into a fixed up shuttle pc.

I have been googling and so far all I can find is something about EMI interference, how the shielding is there to stop that emitting from the usb cable itself. If this is true I was going to do it but is it a good idea or just nuts?

Old 23 January 2013, 00:36   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

The outer shielding, if it is just plastic, can surely be doing nothing to provide EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility). This is usually taken care of in shielded multicore cables by using an outer metallic braid, similar to those found in RF antennae coaxial cables.

If there is no metallic braid incorporated in the plastic shielding (which should be connected to ground at one end only of the cable to make it effective), then dump it by all means.
Old 23 January 2013, 12:55   #3
ElectroBlaster

Without looking now I think it has a metal foil in there? certainly something thin that looks like bacofoil... If I can remove it then the cables will route better, just a bit paranoid I will cause issue's... but I do have a pile of ferrite ring thingys that might help.

The problem is the cables are not readily available unless I go after another faulty shuttle or pay through the nose on ebay. Seems fussy but they are in a tatty state as is and I dont like that kinda thing, my son says nobody will see them but I will know they are in there lol

EDIT: The foil is not grounded to anything.
Old 23 January 2013, 20:56   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Without looking now I think it has a metal foil in there? certainly something thin that looks like bacofoil...

EDIT: The foil is not grounded to anything.
Is the foil soft (like lead), or is it more like bacofoil in texture?

Unless it's lead, I would say that you can probably remove it without issues.
Old 23 January 2013, 21:38   #5
ElectroBlaster

Its like bacofoil, tears easy... might even have a layer of very thin plastic aswell. Nothing substantial unlike another cable here that has metal braiding that terminates at a grounding loop thing.
Old 23 January 2013, 22:20   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

I think you can safely remove it then.
Old 23 January 2013, 23:00   #7
ElectroBlaster

Yey lol

This is something that has never ever bothered me before. But when your building something and want it too look good, having manky damaged cables just ruins it so I shall press on and see what happens