English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 05 July 2021, 22:15   #81
PeterK

Yes correct, thanks Carlo. I mentioned the same today in another thread:
Quote:
Hardware sprite emulation can sometimes cause problems.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...96#post1494196

And indeed, this option is enabled in rabidgerry's WinUAE configuration, but I didn't have any mouse problems with my PC hardware when I tested it. Maybe it is caused by his PC only.
Old 05 July 2021, 22:27   #82
AMIGASYSTEM

I don't think it depends on the PC, after my report Toni fixed it and with the next winuae.7z everything worked fine again.
Old 06 July 2021, 12:18   #83
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by samplist View Post
The issue with the installation script not being included in the archive is now fixed, thanks for the find @rabidgerry
You read what I did instead right? I just used your original one and swapped out the BCWB_Files from my last download of BestClassicWB v2.0.2. It worked and I don't think there was any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
@rabidgerry
Sorry, but I cannot reproduce any mouse pointer problems here with your WinUAE configuration, not even with the libraries from the MMU package.

I can remember that I once had a problem with a slow mouse in WinUAE, which occurred with a certain combination of DirectDraw or D3D and the display settings (FullWindow or Fullscreen) and maybe scaling. That can depend on the PCs graphics driver.

What do you mean by "ghostyness"?

If the deficons are displayed ghosted (half transparent) by my icon.library, that's by design and you can disable it with my option "IconGhostingOff" from the icon.library package (in the /C drawer).

I seemed to improve the slow mouse by changing display driver, it was on PAL HI-RES interlaced. I changed it to just Hi-Res and definitely less and a more solid mouse. It still flickery but not as much, seems more normal now. May be changing display settings in WINUAE would have also resolved that but I'm not very knowledgeable with all the settings.

"Ghostyness" I guess flickery is a better way to describe, basically the mouse when it is moved around flickers but has a kind "ghost" lagging behind it. Hope that makes sense. I don't mind so much about this it was more the speed thing I was concerned with.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 06 July 2021 at 12:29.
Old 06 July 2021, 17:48   #84
samplist

@rabidgerry try checking "Remove interlace artifacts" that's found in Host->Display in WinUAE settings.
Old 06 July 2021, 21:31   #85
rabidgerry

Quote:
@rabidgerry try checking "Remove interlace artifacts" that's found in Host->Display in WinUAE settings.
Yes that works @samplist, I actually tried that yesterday. However with my setup I'm going to have to change the driver anyways.
Old 07 July 2021, 11:25   #86
rabidgerry

I'm still not getting good speed for the icons to be drawn. They appear over a second and a half depending on how many is in the drawer. I had reduced the colours to 32 also. Anyone else find these slow to be drawn?

Just out of curiosity (off topic sorry), I am using an interlaced mode for the first time on another setup on real hardware, the workbench looks great, but that mouse flicker/strange artefacts I was experiencing using this OS3.2 setup previously happens there also, is this normal when using an interlaced mode? The mouse isn't slow, but it flickers weirdly when moving about and when moving over icons. Everything else however looks nice.
Old 07 July 2021, 11:58   #87
PeterK

@rabidgerry
Please, check how much ChipMem is available after booting the system (should be ~1664 kB) and whether it gets less when you open drawers with many icons. It should not go below ~1650 kB with a PAL Hires Interlaced screen with 64 colors (with 32 colors it's 1730 kB ChipMem). If opening drawers consumes ChipMem then FBlit is not running or you still have the OS icon.library installed.

Check that from a shell:
Version icon.library FULL
should display "icon.library 51.4 (TC020)".

If that all is correct, but your system is still slow, then it may depend on your PC hardware?

Another option to make it a bit faster, besides using other WinUAE settings, is it to set the icon image quality in the Workbench preferences to "Bad". Then my library activates an additional color cache.

Last edited by PeterK; 07 July 2021 at 12:06.
Old 07 July 2021, 16:16   #88
Viceroy

Could someone please upload the best config for this to the Zone please?
Old 07 July 2021, 17:14   #89
rabidgerry

Quote:
@rabidgerry
Please, check how much ChipMem is available after booting the system (should be ~1664 kB) and whether it gets less when you open drawers with many icons. It should not go below ~1650 kB with a PAL Hires Interlaced screen with 64 colors (with 32 colors it's 1730 kB ChipMem). If opening drawers consumes ChipMem then FBlit is not running or you still have the OS icon.library installed.

Check that from a shell:
Version icon.library FULL
should display "icon.library 51.4 (TC020)".

If that all is correct, but your system is still slow, then it may depend on your PC hardware?
Ok I will check this and see.

Don't think it would be my pc as it's quad core, 4.03ghz and 16gb of ram.

Quote:
Another option to make it a bit faster, besides using other WinUAE settings, is it to set the icon image quality in the Workbench preferences to "Bad". Then my library activates an additional color cache.
Very clever indeed! That's a great feature to have.

***EDIT*** Yes the icon library is still the OS version (v 47.4 (17/07/20)) Chip ram idle starts for me at somewhere around 1885kb and gradually decreases as I open drawers, but doesn't come close to 1650kb. I read this from the title bar, hope that's correct way to check.

So this is the culprit eh?

@Samplist you replaced the icon library in BestClassicWB to v2.0.3 with PeterK's? I can swap this out myself right?

Last edited by rabidgerry; 07 July 2021 at 17:27.
Old 07 July 2021, 18:23   #90
samplist

@rabidgerry yes I have replaced it, you most probably have to download the latest version and re-install since the previous install script didn't copy the library.
Or just copy it over manually.
Old 07 July 2021, 18:32   #91
crazyc

Quote:
@rabidgerry yes I have replaced it, you most probably have to download the latest version and re-install since the previous install script didn't copy the library.
Or just copy it over manually.
Just remember that IIRC not all versions of the latest icon.library play well with 3.2 Its in the readme I think. I am using the Fastwb version (previously the tc020 one)
Old 07 July 2021, 18:39   #92
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
***EDIT*** Yes the icon library is still the OS version (v 47.4 (17/07/20)) Chip ram idle starts for me at somewhere around 1885kb and gradually decreases as I open drawers, but doesn't come close to 1650kb.

@Samplist you replaced the icon library in BestClassicWB to v2.0.3 with PeterK's? I can swap this out myself right?
That you have more free ChipMem is probably because you switched a to non-interlaced screen with 5 bitplanes only. It's the screen that always needs the ChipMem, and it depends on the size and the depth how much it requires.

Yes, you can replace Libs:icon.library, but the question remains whether you have made a correct OS + BestClassicWB installation or if there are more things that went wrong?
Old 07 July 2021, 18:47   #93
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
Just remember that IIRC not all versions of the latest icon.library play well with 3.2 Its in the readme I think. I am using the Fastwb version (previously the tc020 one)
The Workbench of Os 3.2 should be fast enough now, because I asked the developer to remove all these unnecessary refreshes that made the older WBs up to v45 slow, and he fixed the code. My FastWB version was made for OS 3.5/3.9/3.1.4, but on OS 3.2 you can use the TC020 version (FastWB shouldn't be faster anymore, one hack less!).
Old 07 July 2021, 18:48   #94
crazyc

Cheers Peter, I will switch it over later.
Old 07 July 2021, 20:11   #95
rabidgerry

Ran latest version of BestClassicWB and got the right icon library. Seems a lot better now. Reduced to icons to bad also.
Old 08 July 2021, 08:01   #96
guybrush

Just installed your latest update and it is like night and day. Now WB overall is as fast as the one I have with 3.1 MagicWB; and I am running it at high res laced in 64 colors.

Seems that RTG and the libraries for the icons were the bottleneck; it works great both on my real amiga and on WinUAE. The chip memory is a bit low (1.4 mb free) but it is very usable. Thanks!
Old 08 July 2021, 13:25   #97
PeterK

In case that some programs are still consuming ChipMem, like TinyMeter and WBDock etc., you can try to add these tasks to the FBlit AllocBitMap() Include list with FBlitGUI (read the FBlit.guide). For some programs using FastMem may work, for others you may get graphical glitches. Or you can configure AllocBitMap() to use the Exclude list instead, which means FastMem is used for all programs by default, with the exception of those that you put into the Exclude list, because they make problems. But it's not my job to configure FBlit for every system, because I don't need it, I'm using P96 and RTG.

This very nice Copper-Demon has one disadvantage: it changes the color of one pen (in this configuration pen 4), but it's not allowed to do this for shared colors of the screen palette as long as the reference counter for that pen is not zero, and it leads to wrong colored pixels in MWB icons, but also in some color mapped icons.
Old 08 July 2021, 18:52   #98
rabidgerry

Quote:
In case that some programs are still consuming ChipMem, like TinyMeter and WBDock etc., you can try to add these tasks to the FBlit AllocBitMap() Include list with FBlitGUI (read the FBlit.guide). For some programs using FastMem may work, for others you may get graphical glitches. Or you can configure AllocBitMap() to use the Exclude list instead, which means FastMem is used for all programs by default, with the exception of those that you put into the Exclude list, because they make problems. But it's not my job to configure FBlit for every system, because I don't need it, I'm using P96 and RTG.

This very nice Copper-Demon has one disadvantage: it changes the color of one pen (in this configuration pen 4), but it's not allowed to do this for shared colors of the screen palette as long as the reference counter for that pen is not zero, and it leads to wrong colored pixels in MWB icons, but also in some color mapped icons.
Probably out of my depth with the fblit stuff. I might try it though.

I like the copper demon also, but just last night I blew my own mind trying to figure out how to create more screens. Public screens I believe these are called???? Anyways on my ClassicWB 3.1 there are a few screens using the copper demon and each has their own colour sets, but f__k knows how to add them. Reading the copper guide didn't explain much. Just told me to click "screens" then "add" and of course my add button is greyed out presumably because I don't have any more than one public screen

***edit*** I just found fblit gui, I take it I can just go to fallocbitmap > Include List > Add and add programs like Tiny Meter this way?

Last edited by rabidgerry; 08 July 2021 at 18:58.
Old 08 July 2021, 19:41   #99
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I just found fblit gui, I take it I can just go to fallocbitmap > Include List > Add and add programs like Tiny Meter this way?
Yes, I did that for the task names "TinyMeter" and "WBDock" and got more free ChipMem after a reboot. No guarantee that FBlit can be used for every program, so make a backup of your last working ENVARC:FBlit.cfg.

You can enable the task logging function first to get a list of the tasks that FBlit recognizes.

Last edited by PeterK; 08 July 2021 at 19:46.
Old 09 July 2021, 18:59   #100
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quick question, I removed Tinymeter and Copper from Expansion but they still seem to load, do I need to disable them elsewhere? Cheers