English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 September 2022, 13:59   #1
rabidgerry

Anyone remember the game MDK?

I've been trying to find out the name of this game for months now and only this morning did I manage to stumble upon it. I dunno how many searches I had put into the web to try find it. Everything from "game where you are behind the character" "to 90s run and gun pc game". Anyways I found it and just wanted to se if anyone else remembers playing this game from back in the day?

What reminded me of this game was when I first discovered Abuse on the Amiga. I dunno why but I felt it has some similarity. It doesn't really but it got the idea into my head about MDK hence the search for it.

Which leads me to my question of would it be possible that the Amiga could so MDK (obviously with appropriate hardware)? Or might this be too big a task. I lean towards the possibility that it would be possible but then in reality I know zero about it so figured it would be nice to hear peoples opinions on it and of course experiences or memories of playing the game. I played it on PC and Playstation myself. Didn't play enough of it though See it's available on steam so I might have to bag myself a copy of it again and see if it leaves up to my memories.
Old 12 September 2022, 14:34   #2
CFou!

it was a great PC game with 3DFX patch!
Old 12 September 2022, 14:38   #3
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFou! View Post
it was a great PC game with 3DFX patch!
OOOH what was the 3dfx patch? Some kind of enhancement feature?
Old 12 September 2022, 14:46   #4
ransom1122

Yes..

MDK and Dreams to Reality were both cool games back in '97 for dos.

And both games benefit 3DFX graphics cards
Old 12 September 2022, 15:03   #5
levellord

I vaguely remember the gameplay but I know of the title as my friends were raving about this game back then, especially the sniper mode. I gave it a try and It was playing well on 3DFX's glide on Voodoo Rush, still not my type of a game. I can imagine porting this on Amiga would be a monumental task if the source code is available and even than I doubt it will run smoothly in software mode, unless on PPC/NextGen Amigas.
Old 12 September 2022, 15:20   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Wasn't MDK one of the first games to make use of the new Pentium MMX instruction set?
Old 12 September 2022, 15:30   #7
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Mission: Deliver Kindness. Or Murder Death Kill. Whatever you like, it was an odd game and no mistake.
Old 12 September 2022, 15:34   #8
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Mission: Deliver Kindness. Or Murder Death Kill. Whatever you like, it was an odd game and no mistake.
I guess that is why it stuck in my head, it was a bit odd, but for me in a good and enjoyable way. Yeah been reading about the MDK meaning, seems it can mean whatever you want it to mean.
Old 12 September 2022, 15:39   #9
dreadnought

One of the best releases of the late Nineties era, with Shiny Entertainment at top of their game. Wildly inventive, and totally banging the metal - its 3D software renderer was incredible and could keep up with the stuff only available one the GPU accelerators.

Messiah and Sacrifice were also great and original (though less focused) shame they eventually ran out of money and had to be sold off eventually. It was the end of a beautiful, inventive era, what with Looking Glass Studios - probably my favourite codeshop of all time - sharing similar fate.
Old 12 September 2022, 18:01   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I think the one thing I will attribute the most to Looking Glass Studios (paired with Irrational Games for System Shock 2 which borrowed many of the voice talents and sound effects from LGS games) is that they had the best voice actors. It is the voice acting and overall sound design that really elevated the games from good to legendary.

It was a long time before I realised that. What about the original Thief games and System Shock attracts me so much to this day? The style is one thing, but for Thief it is the likes of Garret, the different guards (especially Benny), Karrass and even Viktoria that almost feel like family to me. The wonderful ways in which the Hammerites and the Pagans speak, I'd dream of a Thief movie which can capture all that.

For System Shock it is Shodan - that voice actress is amazing. There is so much hate and disgust coming through in the voice lines, you effectively want to destroy her and at the same time she sounds strangely attractive. A thing that the voice actress managed to do with Viktoria in the Thief games as well but Shodan is here crowning work.
Old 12 September 2022, 18:03   #11
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
I guess that is why it stuck in my head, it was a bit odd, but for me in a good and enjoyable way. Yeah been reading about the MDK meaning, seems it can mean whatever you want it to mean.
That and the fact your head was the sniper rifle. I mean, it was very strange. There was a sequel. It was just as bizarre.
Old 12 September 2022, 18:29   #12
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
It is the voice acting and overall sound design that really elevated the games from good to legendary.
Ummm, each to its own, but I'd rather remember them for pioneering use of 3D and non-linear, emergent gameplay elements. This was a style which had been blooming back then and then sadly cast away once the industry got possesed by the multiplayer craze, cutscene storytelling, and by the numbers sequelitis.

Sure, their voice acting is great too, but ranks probably lowest on my memorable-things-about-their-games list. They did that 3D sound thing in Thief thou, which actually mattered for gameplay and was another groundbreaking achievement.
Old 12 September 2022, 18:40   #13
DisasterIncarna

i remember me sucking at it bigtime on the ps1, i was almost as bad at MDK as i was on "One", also on ps1, think i bought them both roughly the same time.
Old 12 September 2022, 19:06   #14
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

One of my top 3 games ever.

Love the atmosphere and the humor.

add/edit: and yes, it ran amazingly well on non 3D-card machine.
Old 12 September 2022, 19:36   #15
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

MDK is a great game. Still play it now. Not so much the 2nd one which I have on Dreamcast.
Old 12 September 2022, 20:02   #16
rabidgerry

I'm definitely going to have to get a copy of it again for PC. I don't think an Amiga version would be possible, but if there was, I'd be all over that version. I guess I threw out the idea simply as so many other advanced games have since turned up on the system that were thought not previously possible.

Glad to see others have fond memories of it also and I didn't dredge up something best forgotten!
Old 12 September 2022, 20:12   #17
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I also loved the first MDK, it was very impressive that it could pull off SVGA on contemporary Pentiums in software. It aso had a wacky sense of humor, which resulted in some entertaining puzzles.
The source code is not public, and that alone makes an Amiga version impossible, unless someone wants to rewrite it from scratch.
Old 12 September 2022, 20:17   #18
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Remember reading in magazines about it back in first half of 90s (something billions of people die and your job to help survivors or something like that) and got game (actually still have it), but sadly, never completed it. Perhaps should emulate or try to play it on Win95.

Just checked, it does go sometimes on sale and apparently it was in some of bundles, but I don't remember seeing it. Even it was free on gog.com, but misses that one as well.

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=MDK
Old 12 September 2022, 21:59   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Just checked, it does go sometimes on sale and apparently it was in some of bundles, but I don't remember seeing it. Even it was free on gog.com, but misses that one as well.
Just checked and I own both MDK games on GOG. Gothic 1 & 2 are on sale right now for 2.49 [insert currency here].

Need to play MDK again. If only for the 'The World's Smallest Nuclear Explosion'™
Old 13 September 2022, 00:16   #20
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
I also loved the first MDK, it was very impressive that it could pull off SVGA on contemporary Pentiums in software. It aso had a wacky sense of humor, which resulted in some entertaining puzzles.
The source code is not public, and that alone makes an Amiga version impossible, unless someone wants to rewrite it from scratch.
I was hoping you'd see this thread

Anyways, gimma a week and I'll re-write the code from scratch Just kidding I know nothing about that kind of black magic

So do you reckon if the code was public it could be ported to work on Amiga platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Just checked and I own both MDK games on GOG. Gothic 1 & 2 are on sale right now for 2.49 [insert currency here].

Need to play MDK again. If only for the 'The World's Smallest Nuclear Explosion'™
When you say own on GOG what do you mean? Sorry if that is a stupid question. Can you buy them like say you buy movies and have a collection on Amazon Prime or something like that?

Yeah go play it again. I tried earlier online but frame rate was shit despite good broadband at my end.

I'll have to bag a copy from somewhere.