English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 March 2024, 17:55   #1161
Karlos
Alien Bleed

When we have RGB rendermodes (it's on my todo list), it should be possible to construct shade tables that have this kind of chromatic shift for varying brightness variations of the standard colour indexes.
Old 13 March 2024, 17:59   #1162
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Did a very quick'n'dirty test just as an experiment:

the bottom left has a pretty good ambience!
Old 13 March 2024, 18:19   #1163
grond

Yes, bottom-left is the best IMO, too.
Old 13 March 2024, 18:50   #1164
Karlos
Alien Bleed

These are good but while we have a 256 colour screen still, are going to be tricky to do in a way that looks good for everything.

We should, at some point, introduce 8-bit textures. The current 5-bit ones are pretty annoying to work with.
Old 13 March 2024, 19:20   #1165
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
These are good but while we have a 256 colour screen still, are going to be tricky to do in a way that looks good for everything.

We should, at some point, introduce 8-bit textures. The current 5-bit ones are pretty annoying to work with.
If you manage to take full control of the complete palette, this should allow for a massive upgrade in texture and color quality (on its own) for starters. 8-bit textures are a nice addition, however 32 colors feels already more than enough to have great detail/granularity per texture. Especially if you're using a good palette which allows ramps to work harmoniously with each other.
Old 13 March 2024, 19:39   #1166
pixie

I work in 3d rendering, and many times more then the shadow/light, the difference in colors helps perceiving the volumetry of a model. Usually warms vs cool colors, where ambient mood is st to cool and a few warm colors here and there
Old 13 March 2024, 19:41   #1167
Karlos
Alien Bleed

If you are working with 16 colours sure, 32 is good. However the there are only 16 texture slots and they are up to 640 wide, which I've made use of to increase variation. 32 colours isn't much spread across a 640*128 image.
Old 13 March 2024, 22:22   #1168
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I haven't changed the palette at all but I have been adding the various trims and other bits that need to complement the blue version where there are door edges and stuff.

If I do change the palette I'll need to put all the images into a single one and do it there for consistency, then slice it back up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trims.png
Views:	65
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	81819  
Old 13 March 2024, 22:23   #1169
abu_the_monkey

@Karlos

did you get a chance to test LevelED v3.9.5 for the issues you encountered while reworking level C ?
Old 13 March 2024, 22:25   #1170
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
I haven't changed the palette at all but I have been adding the various trims and other bits that need to complement the blue version where there are door edges and stuff.

If I do change the palette I'll need to put all the images into a single one and do it there for consistency, then slice it back up.
looking good
Old 13 March 2024, 22:43   #1171
oscar_ates

Quote:

Looks very nice Will fire your version soon on winuae
Old 13 March 2024, 22:51   #1172
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I've not pushed the latest changes yet mind. And they are always on the misc/redesign branch until I'm happy they are suitable for merging
Old 13 March 2024, 23:01   #1173
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
@Karlos

did you get a chance to test LevelED v3.9.5 for the issues you encountered while reworking level C ?
I haven't. I don't have an excuse except lack of time. Will install tomorrow.
Old 14 March 2024, 10:47   #1174
grond

Quote:

That looks pretty good. The only thing (mentioned earlier) that could be improved is to have the blues less saturated. They look more like paint than metal. But I understand that palette changes would likely impact other assets.
Old 14 March 2024, 11:16   #1175
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
That looks pretty good. The only thing (mentioned earlier) that could be improved is to have the blues less saturated. They look more like paint than metal. But I understand that palette changes would likely impact other assets.
I was thinking that it's more a sort of coating on the metal so maybe that's fine. I have the rusted out one for the moisture damaged versions.
Old 14 March 2024, 20:13   #1176
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

I think part of the problem is the "decayed" look that most films go for when depicting spaceships, space stations, buildings, etc. in the "dark, bleak" future, so that's what people are used to seeing. Spaceships must be newly painted at some point! A good example is the brand spanking-new high-class ship in Prometheus versus the worn-out low-class ship in Alien. If you're going for a "new" look, then that screenshot looks really good.
Old 14 March 2024, 21:08   #1177
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Reserved a wall slot for display panels in the engineering section and reworked the entrance sign to fit the blue scheme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engineering.png
Views:	51
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	81831   Click image for larger version

Name:	engineering_enter.png
Views:	56
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	81832  
Old 14 March 2024, 21:11   #1178
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
I think part of the problem is the "decayed" look that most films go for when depicting spaceships, space stations, buildings, etc. in the "dark, bleak" future, so that's what people are used to seeing. Spaceships must be newly painted at some point! A good example is the brand spanking-new high-class ship in Prometheus versus the worn-out low-class ship in Alien. If you're going for a "new" look, then that screenshot looks really good.
So the idea is that this is the engineering deck of the orbital station that the space ship has docked with. It shouldn't be too decayed otherwise it wouldn't be viable, so I am saving that for more of the groundside settings. However, the breed have overrun the place and one of the storage areas has become completely contaminated (slime, acid etc) and so on.
Old 14 March 2024, 21:24   #1179
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Everything so far is pushed to the misc/redesign branch of the mod if anyone fancies having a test of Level C Redux. I will be adding some more panels and likely some custom floor tiles later. The main atrium of the level is now quite different and more open than before. I haven't fully retextured the older rusted out bits towards the far eastern extent of the map and some will stay but if I can eliminate all uses of the brick textures (I don't think there are any to be honest) I can use that slot to do some transitional textures where the clean stuff gives way to the corroded stuff more gradually.
Old 15 April 2024, 21:45   #1180
Karlos
Alien Bleed

I just merged a ton of redesign work to the main branch. This also fixes an incorrect start point in Level M that I had mistakenly set previously.

The redesign is by no means complete, but it is playable now.