English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 February 2010, 21:38   #1
Canyon Matt

CF Card Gone Crazy...

Hey guys,

I put a 2GB SanDisk Ultra on an ACARD adapter into my CDTV (running WB 1.3) and it has been working well for months. The other night I was copying files onto it from my CD through SID and got an "Volume AmigaBoot has a read/write error" message. From that point on it would continue to copy, but every file would give that message, i would hit cancel, and then it would move to the next file. SID showed the correct file size but they are all messed up.

OK, reboot and problem should go away right... no... Now every time I try to move a new file onto the drive, or save a file onto the drive, I get the Error Message.

Old files work fine, but as soon as you try to save something, that file becomes corrupt. I can't DISKDOCTOR a whole HD, and when I run "Verify Data on Drive" HDToolBox swears that there are no errors on the drive.

As that is the sum total of my knowledge on fixing corrupt amiga media...

HELP!!!!

Thanks,

Matt
Old 22 February 2010, 21:51   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Backup the CF contents on your pc using WinUAE, re-format it without setting "directory cache" option and move the data back into it.
Old 22 February 2010, 21:55   #3
Canyon Matt

Uh oh...

Thanks!

Hmmm... this is where my Mac and its inability to do most WinUAE things becomes a problem. (Also why there is an actual CDTV still on my desk). I'll start looking into if I can get my VirtualPC to do that.

In the meantime, anybody else??? Bueller???

Matt
Old 22 February 2010, 22:05   #4
Muzer

Does the Mac version have hardfiles support? If so, you should just be able to open the device file (mount it to a known mountpoint; go into a terminal; type mount; find the device file for the mount point from that list; unmount it; select the device file in the hardfile selection box)
Old 22 February 2010, 22:18   #5
Canyon Matt

Ritual Seppuku Avoided...

I was about to just save my critical files off to floppy and reconstruct the hard drive when I decided to just delete all of the files created since the problems started. (Really only one directory...)

Once all of the files were deleted the system began behaving as normal. All I can guess is that the first file that copied and didn't complete properly left some flag open on the drive table that only deleting the file could fix...

Well, you learn something new everyday. And with Amigas, maybe two or three things...

Thanks for all of the advice!

Matt
Old 24 February 2010, 11:18   #6
MagerValp

No, E-UAE does not support using actual devices, just plain hardfiles. Fortunately creating a hdf from a CF card is easy on Mac OS X (and other unix systems):

1. Insert the card using a USB adapter.
2. Start the Terminal.
3. Run mount to find out the device name (e.g. /dev/disk2).
4. Run dd if=/dev/disk2 of=amigacf.hdf to create a hardfile from the CF card (using sudo if needed).

There's probably a way to do it with Disk Utility as well - select the device on the left, click create new image, and select CD/DVD master as the file format. Change the file extension from cdr to hdf. Untested but I think it should work.
Old 12 March 2010, 21:45   #7
Muzer

What, you can't choose /dev/disk2 directly as a hardfile? That sucks