English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 May 2013, 18:32   #1
Kenan

Big grin 2 questions I was always wondering about (classic hard disks and PC monitors)

1.Wouldn't it be kinda inconvenient to remove ie. unplugg the IDE cabel everytime you would want to add new files to the hard drive (connect it to PC)? With CF card it's a lot easier, just take the card out and that's it.

I was lately wondering about this as I assume, most users often want to add new utilities or games or whatever to it and in order to do that, they need to connect the hard drive/cf card to the PC?

Last time I checked, plugging the IDE cabel out of the mainboard is not 'super difficult' but it can be tiresome and it usually involves some effort (to say the least).

2. Why do folks connect their Amigas to PC monitors? The in-game graphics looks like crap (for obvious reasons since PC monitors have a lot sharper picture then TV) so what's the benefit of this? Apps?
Old 22 May 2013, 20:12   #2
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

1. For transferring files there are many options, the easiest and one of the fastest is to get an Ethernet network (PCMCIA or ZORRO)
The other good option is to have a SCSI flash card reader (but a bit expensive), or a PCMCIA flash card adaptor.

2. Monitors save your eyes when you do some work and give a nice high res non flicker image even on basic AGA system. And if you have a GFX card, you you can enjoy all the benefits.
Also if you get a good monitor, it will display PAL screens too.
And modern LCD screens remove interlace flicker.
Old 22 May 2013, 20:19   #3
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Well... for transferring files I still use floppies
Yes !
720K goes to PC
RT TK TK TK TK
then into Amiga
RK TK TK TK TK
DREE DROO
ERROR
True old school fun
But I'm gonna buy that PCMCIA CF transfer kit as soon as I scrape up some moneah.

Amiga monitors give beautiful picture. But they are huge, and flicker like all CRTs. And I can not stand that.
Old 22 May 2013, 20:55   #4
roy bates

i use all sorts of methods for transfering to my amigas

i use zip 100 and 250mb disks
i burn cd's
and dvd's
i have a pcmcia cf card transfer kit
and on one or two other amigas i use usb thumb sticks.
and sometimes i use ethernet.
and floppys,yes i like them damn it!

and i also used(and sometimes still do) remove the entire drive and mount it winuae,ide and scsi drives.

the only thing i dont do is use cf cards as drives,thats something i never got used to for some reason.maybe because some peaple think there a bit noisey or get a bit hot

as for the pc monitor thing,you do realise there are amiga users that like rtg and i dont think the image is that bad through a scandoubler.that said i have got 15khz monitors.
Old 22 May 2013, 23:35   #5
Kenan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
1. For transferring files there are many options, the easiest and one of the fastest is to get an Ethernet network (PCMCIA or ZORRO)
I've heard of Zorro (that's the guy with a mask and hat all in black fighting folks with a sword right?) but how hard is it to set it up? And how much does it cost?
Old 23 May 2013, 05:53   #6
Cymru

2 questions I was always wondering about (classic hard disks and PC monitors)

Well the black costume is quite cheap unless you go for the leather one. The foil is a lot more expensive depending on the quality. Getting Cathrine Zeta-Jones is another matter entirely.