English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 25 March 2009, 15:17   #1
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Post Money can't buy me IPFs !

Hi,

This is not a discussion about IPFs per se, if you don't know what they are and don't really need them, never mind this post. This short FAQ should not be misplaced with SPS guidelines or anything. It's just my 2 cent, nurtured with a bit of EAB thread browsing. I would be much obliged if it was made a sticky, of course .

After having been presented with the SPS, because I had IPFs files in my collection, which first I considered useless, a few questions started to arise. Since I consider the SPS web site information not very exhaustive and the SPS people not very eloquent, or at the least, prone to avoid answering certain n00b questions (I don't consider myself very acknowledgable on these questions, but I understood a few things, plus the information about SPS is not necessarily hidden but rather scattered). Anyone with the proper knowledge and/or experience can complete and even amend this information.

• Why should I play from an IPF rather than from an ADF ?
Most of the time, the ADF will do the job. Amiga "sceners" have been litterally flooding one another with cracked games, since the beginning. Using an original, with the copy protection still in place, would be awkward to them. However, it may happen that a game was badly cracked, or that nobody bothered cracking an obscure game. Under these rather peculiar occasions, the IPF is what you need.

• What are the advantages of IPF format over ADF ?
Simply put, an IPF is a 100% accurate image of a game. Unfortunately, the simple act of loading the floppy unprotected against writing can lead to irreversable modifications, hence making the image not accurate anymore. IPF is the killer format for preservation, that's why it was chosen by the SPS. More information on this can easily be found.

• Can anybody propose a dump and then be granted the corresponding IPF ?
There is a bunch of dumpers, well-known to the SPS team members, who contributed with tens or even hundred dumps. Of course, for newcomers, there are a few things to accomplish in order to be part of the process : It all depends whether you have the necessary hardware or not. In the latter case, you should send the floppies via snail mail, and of course you'll get them back once the IPF is done.

• I have the feeling certain contributors ("dumpers" more specifically) tend to move "into the shadows". Why is that ?
This is not the most easily explainable behaviour. Let's say I need a specific IPF and get to know someone who already had dumped the game for the SPS. It would be all too easy to make it sound like I freshly acquired this game, in order for me to propose it to the SPS, although it already has been dumped.
Unmodified originals are scarce, from what I've understood, so collusion between dumpers should be not be encouraged. The goal of the SPS is to improve their database and, even though "variants" may not always pop up on their web site, comparing different dumps of the same game is most certainly needed.

• Is there a special relationship between the members of WHDload and the SPS ?
For some reason, WHDload decided that the vast majority of slaves (or patches) should be done from originals. WHDload team members own many originals themselves, plus they have connections with both "dumpers" and originals providers. At the end of the supply chain, KG repacks the installer with the game images, be it an IPF or a "working dump".

• *Where to dl the dumping tool ?
from codetapper.com
(I may relocate it to my web site later, if that's OK with you)
Old 25 March 2009, 19:30   #2
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Uh... I just do not have the time to reply to anything above, but there are quite a few errors in there.

Besides, may I ask you not to host the dumping tool please. We're constantly improving things. While the look of it hasn't changed in years, there have been many revisions since it was originally released. We'll provide the dumping tool to anyone intending doing dumps. Please contact us via the ticketing system on the SPS site if you wish to do so.
Old 25 March 2009, 22:17   #3
NewDeli
Banned

Chances are small that I might be doing dumps in the future mr.vince, though that's nice of you to encourage me doing so. What's more likely is me having someone else (not fully aware of this SPS/WHDload/KG "recycling process") doing it for me (for me to send you the dumps, if that's feasible).

I don't want to sound like I enjoy posting bollocks because of the slight irony which is my signature, and I know everyone here has to abide to strict rules when it comes to unveiling SPS do's & don't.

This said, there are things that left me puzzled, honest, that even my dear contacts, long-time EAB members couldn't explicit (I leave it to your appreciation if that's a case where I need to learn more of SPS practices & get familiar with your way of doing things, or if they simply shouldn't be telling me those things.... yet).
Old 26 March 2009, 00:25   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

What are you talking about?

This "recycling process"???

People dump their originals. Like I did, and many others.

The people who dumped their games get an IPF back (if the disk is 100% or someone else has dumped a 100% copy of the disk [there are a few exceptions to this, such as only a budget version being 100% dumped, and the SPS team are waiting for the original full release]).

Anyone who receives an IPF can do whatever they like with it. Delete it, eat it, write over it with random data, anything.

You cannot post a link to the IPF here on EAB but there are many other ways to share the IPF file.
Old 26 March 2009, 01:52   #5
NewDeli
Banned

So if my dump is not 100%, but the game has a valid SPS entry, then I receive the IPF ?
Or may be I didn't get what that "someone else" has to do with it ?

Recycling does not mean laundering (as in money laundering). I am not implying that the people who agreed to share their IPFs did not own originals, I am just saying that it appears to me some of them are unreachable by mail, and share their stuff with very few selected "sceners".

Looking back in time, I realize while most Amiga publishers had their reasons to stick with floppies, it came as a good (or a bad) surprise that their games published in this format could be "preserved" as ice cream in a A-grade freezer. That certainly comes from the fact that even the best looking ice cream has to be eaten, someday.

JST, then WHDload instigators thought of a better use for these dumped originals (not IPFs, corrected, thanks to KG) than simply being an alternative to ADFs. (I am taking a shortcut here, to explain the metaphoric use of the word recycling).

If you ask me (come closer..), I don't see any reason for not patching games also from the ADFs, as long as a coder picks up the ones with neat crack routines. Why ? Well, the truth is most Amiga gamers won't see a difference if the copy protection was removed by old timers or by today's Patchers. And, in the same vein, I am still not convinced it will be terribly different for them if the image contained in your repack is 100% or not.

What I have learnt while reading FAQs and being refused to be given certain files was :
one, there is a decreasing number of original, unmodified games in circulation
and two, YOU (the casual Amiga fan) can choose to contribute to fight that threat by buying originals, dumping them, handing them over to WHDload or to Gamebase Amiga team members, doing whatever you have to do with those game images, as you imply...

This said, I noticed two interesting phenomenons :
Some people here have tons of Amiga gaming experience and don't really care for originals (well, they care much less than say... the top 20 SPS contributors)
and secondly the casual fan can have access to gigabytes of both common and rare files (GBA merits are huge, really) but... but not to certain IPFs.

I am not questioning it (I already did, and had my thread closed...rightly so) but
"It's probably because the dumper choose not share those files" sounds like an incomplete explanation to me (without mentioning the number of dumps received for these games is too low for sharing them "in the wild").

Today, I try my own luck to obtain the files I consider worth figuring in my collection and mind you, they slightly differ from the bulk of files the casual fan is offered.

Also, to start contributing to SPS, I need to know a bit (a lot ?) more, since I won't have another chance to explain to these busy guys what they should do and how to help preserve their originals. Plus, I take a risk as I will be held responsible if their floppies are lost or destroyed in the process.

Last edited by NewDeli; 26 March 2009 at 08:45. Reason: Clearer arguments... hopefully
Old 26 March 2009, 02:03   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You firstly need to realise that WHDLoad (and JST) came WAY before IPFs even came about.

The WHDLoad team chose to support only originals for various reasons, none of which had anything to do with IPF files, as IPF files didn't exist at the time.

And yes, if your dump is not 100% you will still receive an IPF of the original.

All the other stuff you've stated is a little bit bizarre for me to respond to!
Old 26 March 2009, 08:23   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You lost me again Deleauvive While the first three questions start quite good (yet the answers are, like mr. vince already mentioned, not 100% correct), the other stuff in this thread is highly speculative to say the least. Again I'm not sure if this is really useful for someone that is new to the whole thing and haven't heard about SPS or IPF ever before. Maybe you want to mention which emulators support IPF, if it can be written back to floppy disks (just link to some threads here) and maybe a link to the SPS homepage won't hurt
Old 26 March 2009, 08:58   #8
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
I don't want to sound like I enjoy posting bollocks
You're not doing a good job to convince us
Old 26 March 2009, 09:17   #9
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
If you ask me (come closer..), I don't see any reason for not patching games also from the ADFs, as long as a coder picks up the ones with neat crack routines.
Will you do the job of providing the WHDLoad patchers with ADF's that use "neat crack routines"? It's just a lot more work to fix buggy cracks, patch the used decrunchers that most of the time won't work properly on 68020+ machines etc. pp. I wonder why I prefer to work from clean originals/IPF's...
Old 26 March 2009, 10:14   #10
Interceptor

right i've removed the 'FAQ' reference as its not FAQ at all, nor is it written by SPS.

instead its almost certainly a rant from someone who desperately wants some IPF files he cant find, and despite offering money to various people no-one is prepared to send them.

you've had a thread closed before Deleauvive for the same reasoning, i dont see your intentions other than the above.

if you so badly want an IPF of a game thats already preserved, buy a copy, dump it, and we'll send you an IPF back, so long as the dump is from an original disk (good, bad or modified) but we can tell instantly if you dump a disk made on an amiga from an ADF so dont bother.

Last edited by Interceptor; 26 March 2009 at 10:30. Reason: added info
Old 26 March 2009, 10:24   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Will you do the job of providing the WHDLoad patchers with ADF's that use "neat crack routines"? It's just a lot more work to fix buggy cracks, patch the used decrunchers that most of the time won't work properly on 68020+ machines etc. pp. I wonder why I prefer to work from clean originals/IPF's...
I personaly have no issue with supporting cracks, so long as I know they are 100% or a game that is notoriously difficult to get hold of, or, didn't sell in sufficient numbers in the first place.

Nothing worse than busting your balls on an install that virtually no-one has!

But my main reason for not going all out to support them is that WHDLoad has goodwill toward it, because its intentions is NOT to promote piracy, same as SPS/IPF's.

Other than that, the rest of the OP's postings are just a rambling mess.

Bollocks? Couldn't have put it better myself!
Old 26 March 2009, 10:30   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I personaly have no issue with supporting cracks, so long as I know they are 100% or a game that is notoriously difficult to get hold of, or, didn't sell in sufficient numbers in the first place.
I don't have problems to support cracks per se either. However, people claiming that it's just a matter of finding cracks "with neat crack routines" (whatever that is supposed to mean anyway) without really knowing what they speak about shouldn't assume that there is no real reason not to support cracked ADF's. There are some particular bad cracks out there and supporting them would mean a lot of extra work, what for?
Old 26 March 2009, 10:41   #13
seuden
uber cool demi god

I don't understand what there is not to understand. Get yourself an original copy, dump it or send it to someone who is kind enough to dump it then you'll be sent the IPF. Or am I wrong?
Old 26 March 2009, 10:52   #14
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Nope you're not wrong

Although you won't get the IPF if one doesn't exist yet! (i.e. not been processed yet, or no 100% copy found).
Old 26 March 2009, 10:57   #15
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Nope you're not wrong

Although you won't get the IPF if one doesn't exist yet! (i.e. not been processed yet, or no 100% copy found).
Ah, that is true.
Old 26 March 2009, 11:20   #16
NewDeli
Banned

@ Interceptor
Wow...The title of the thread comes from a famous romantic Beatles song, meaning precisely the contrary. I could donate money and / or contribute to SPS, and not getting the files you decided not to share.

Also, consider this : why would I need an IPF against a fully functional ADF ?
Let me tell you : That's not because I plan to have more IPFs than the casual Amiga fan I am referring to, just for the sake of it. I simply try to understand the rationale behind these WHDload coders asking ME for the game images where, only for being long-time EAB members, they would have better chances to obtain them !

And if you ask me (a bit more nicely wouldn't hurt) if SPS deserve more donations and dumps, the answer is YES.

@StingRay
Of course, I can't tell a good crack from a bad one, especially if the game seems to load and play fine. I can only hang on to groups reputation, and also to the existence (not the quality) of early HD installers & AGA fixes, that can be found in certain ADFs to state that *some* crackers took notice of the shift towards beefed-up Amigas and playing from Workbench trend.

Do you think the debugging/crunching/cracking tools of the early 90s should be preserved too ?

@Galahad
Both games I have in mind fall into this category by the way (notoriously difficult to get hold of, didn't sell in sufficient numbers in the first place)

Last edited by NewDeli; 26 March 2009 at 15:05.
Old 26 March 2009, 11:24   #17
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
but we can tell instantly if you dump a disk made on an amiga from an ADF so dont bother.
LMAO, I like this response.......
Old 26 March 2009, 11:54   #18
IFW

Perhaps... to try and focus this discussion... whdload authors do certainly know how to get hold of me.
Old 26 March 2009, 14:53   #19
pmc
gone

To bring this kind of back on topic, I've got a question:

How come copying / spreading / zoning cracked ADF images of previously copyright material now regarded as abandonware is permissable but copying / spreading / zoning IPFs of the same is regarded as piracy?

Surely it's all piracy if you wanna get right down to bare bones of it?

By the way, I'm only asking that out of curiosity so I'll apologiese now if this debate has already been done to death or if asking this is seen as heresy.

Don't wanna get flamed napalm style...
Old 26 March 2009, 14:57   #20
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

The reason for not sharing IPFs is not because EAB regards it as piracy.

The reasoning is:

The SPS Team use EAB as their semi-official forum for discussing SPS matters with "us lot". The SPS Team do not want to be seen as sharing their files illegally. So it was put into the rules of EAB that people should not share IPF files here as it may cause trouble and reflect badly on the SPS Team.

You seeeeeeeee?