English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 July 2024, 17:38   #1
slaapliedje

VLM on CD32?

For anyone who has ever owned an Atari Jaguar CD, they would have hopefully experienced the awesome Virtual Light Machine. There are several out there for modern systems, but I just love the JagCD one.
Has anyone made one for the CD32? I would guess it would be perfectly feasible to make one. I really should use my CD32 more...
Old 06 July 2024, 22:59   #2
Cylon

No idea what a VLM is and too lazy to look it up...
Old 06 July 2024, 23:54   #3
Liqourice

VLM was a very "Jeff Minter" product, hence more or less limited to the Jaguar and some DVD players supporting Nuon at various levels.

With modern hardware it shouldn't be to difficult to create something similar at a software level. Some already have, like Winamp as an example.
Old 07 July 2024, 01:03   #4
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
No idea what a VLM is and too lazy to look it up...
No one can be told what a VLM is, you just have to buy a Jaguar, sight unseen and experience it for yourself.
Old 07 July 2024, 06:03   #5
giantclam

You can get an idea from YT ... [ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 July 2024, 20:32   #6
Cylon

So it is a music visualizer, like the one in iTunes or Media Center.

Was that so hard to express with words, lol?
Old 07 July 2024, 22:18   #7
grelbfarlk

Quote:

You just brought the VLM curse down on this thread. Don't look at a v********* or else you are going to get sucked into the nether realm and be trapped there for eternity.
Old 08 July 2024, 09:32   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I am not sure that the CD32 can run a VLM because I don't think the CPU has access to the CDDA directly while playing and so cannot monitor the output levels required to drive the VLM. I *think* during playback the CDDA from the CD reader goes directly to a DAC and then an analog mixer before being combined with Paula output. This is pure speculation I don't have any evidence but I believe it is correct.

I believe you might be able to read the CDDA off the disc as data and then play back using Paula (albeit at reduced quality) and then measure the levels but I don't think you'd want to?
Old 08 July 2024, 10:51   #9
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I am not sure that the CD32 can run a VLM because I don't think the CPU has access to the CDDA directly while playing and so cannot monitor the output levels required to drive the VLM. I *think* during playback the CDDA from the CD reader goes directly to a DAC and then an analog mixer before being combined with Paula output. This is pure speculation I don't have any evidence but I believe it is correct.

I believe you might be able to read the CDDA off the disc as data and then play back using Paula (albeit at reduced quality) and then measure the levels but I don't think you'd want to?
That's correct... referring to the CD32 schematic... CDDA data is fed to the LC78835 DAC, which coverts it to analog audio (stereo), which is then mixed with the Paula L/R audio out signals ... even the external audio inputs are just buffered/mixed onto the same L/R analog audio path, so it would take some work to get this happening on CD32.
Old 08 July 2024, 13:55   #10
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:

A pretty lame one at that