English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 05 December 2010, 01:06   #1
Abaddon

Aquanaut (F1) v1.3 Uploaded to the Zone (Please Test and Provide Feedback)

version 1.3 (12-04-2010) done by Keith Krellwitz (Abaddon):
- Added Quit key to support 68000 quit (for some reason removed)
- Added Custom2=1 to skip blitter patch
- Added support for 2nd fire button (cycle weapons)
- Added Custom3=1 CD32 controller support
(CD32 support is based on Hungry Horace's update to CarVup)
- Added custom tag support when using Custom3=1
Old 05 December 2010, 17:32   #2
1time
Amiga Lover

Awesome! Thanks.
Old 07 December 2010, 00:14   #3
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Sadly this, like the previous versions, still doesn't work on a real CD32.

At the 'press fire to play' title screen, it just sits, flicking through the text screens and not recognising the joypad.

I have of course set custom3=1
Old 07 December 2010, 00:29   #4
Abaddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Stylus View Post
Sadly this, like the previous versions, still doesn't work on a real CD32.

At the 'press fire to play' title screen, it just sits, flicking through the text screens and not recognising the joypad.

I have of course set custom3=1
Unfortunately, I don't have a CD32 or a CD32 controller and have to rely on WinUAE with joypad emulation. Did you try it without preload? The game itself takes 1 meg. Are you able get the game to start if you don't set custom3=1?
Old 07 December 2010, 17:59   #5
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Hi Abaddon,

Yeah, it's annoying because it does work under emulation, but not on the real thing! I tried to get the previous WHDLoad version of this to work in the past, with the same results. I don't have a standard joystick to hand, so I'm not sure if it is a hw incompatibility issue with the CD32 or the game not recognising the red button as fire on the CD32.

I tried using a normal working CD32 pad and Paul Willingham's PSX-CD32 adapter.

Using it with or without preload has the same effect; neither work.

Don't worry too much about it; I assume it is the original coders fault. Other games, such as Doody (which I assume was coded with the same software) have the same problem. It would be nice if someone could explain what causes the CD32 to act like this though...

Also, IIRC, you can even get the original to load on the CD32 by creating an ISO with appropriate assigns in the sartup-seq. I did this on my first attempt to get the game to play on the CD32, and again, same result.

So, in a nutshell, it isn't a bug created by you, but by the original coder.

Last edited by TCD; 07 December 2010 at 18:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 07 December 2010, 19:14   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

What kind of CD32 pad read routine is used?
Old 07 December 2010, 22:42   #7
Abaddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
What kind of CD32 pad read routine is used?

I think the routine was originally created by Asman and modified by Wepl & Girv. See the thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=29768
Old 08 December 2010, 01:00   #8
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

oh, Keith... you using the same CD32 pad routine i also used, from that thread?

if so, you'll need to patch the 'fire' button to red for when the CD32 mode is enabled for 100% support - I assume you are calling the pad-read routine inside the VBI as well?

I had the same problem in early versions of my Midnight Resistance patch iirc

edit:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=615798#post615798

Toni also goes on to explain why

edit 2:
i think that routine also needs a slight modification to prevent it trashing d0 ... or that may only have been in the version i had edited!

my apologies that i havent been around to test much lately :/ ... should have a bit more time over xmas though!
Old 08 December 2010, 01:17   #9
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Hi again,

Just thought that I should mention that I read your Midnight Resistance thread HH, and you say you haven't heard of games that don't work with a CD32 pad. Well, the original release (both L1 and AF) of Aquanaut and Doody (http://hol.abime.net/5407) are two games that do not

They didn't when I had an A1200 years ago with a CD32 pad (IIRC), and they don't work on a CD32 console either. Alien Bash II is another culprit. It registers the red button as joy fire 1 and 2 being pressed simultaneously.

I believe these errors are all caused due to incompatibility with the CD32 pad output with the native code of these games.

The point I'm making is that I'm not complaining about the patch offered here, but rather the actual code in the original games.

If you'd like me to test MR on a real CD32, send me a PM.
Old 08 December 2010, 01:35   #10
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

MR was already tested on a real machine i think (hope) i would have heard of any problems by now! If you really want to go back and test it again, go-ahead, and post a reply in the previous thread!

I get the point you are making about the original code, i'm just pointing out to Keith that *if* he is using the same code that I used (from the thread he linked to) and patching it in the same way, then these are problems I have already encountered .... that CD32 reading code actually seems to "kill" the original fire-button reading. A full CD32 patch can bypass the original code for fire/red anyway, eliminating any original incompatibilities/bugs.

I had already tested this slave for keith using my Cd32/PS adaptor and CD32-Comp Pro on my A1200, and I hadnt had any such problems, but Keith may have changed the routine since then, or it may only occur with the original C= pad and your adaptor.

edit: I understood from previous posts (by others) that the problem with Alien Bash is actually caused by the second button code, rather than the fire button. I have never actually looked into it, as it is assumed the original game source may be up for looks soon anyway.

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 08 December 2010 at 01:44.
Old 08 December 2010, 03:17   #11
Abaddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
oh, Keith... you using the same CD32 pad routine i also used, from that thread?

if so, you'll need to patch the 'fire' button to red for when the CD32 mode is enabled for 100% support - I assume you are calling the pad-read routine inside the VBI as well?

I had the same problem in early versions of my Midnight Resistance patch iirc

edit:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=615798#post615798

Toni also goes on to explain why

edit 2:
i think that routine also needs a slight modification to prevent it trashing d0 ... or that may only have been in the version i had edited!

my apologies that i havent been around to test much lately :/ ... should have a bit more time over xmas though!

I am using the include from your Car-Vup update. I was at work and did not have the source handy. And I have patched the Red button as well. If I don't patch the red button fire does not work at all in CD32 mode.

Not much has changed since you tested it...at least not for the CD32 controls. I did add support for the custom tooltype to pass in the name for the high score table when using the CD32 option. I have one more change to make to the passing in of the username though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Stylus View Post
Hi again,

Just thought that I should mention that I read your Midnight Resistance thread HH, and you say you haven't heard of games that don't work with a CD32 pad. Well, the original release (both L1 and AF) of Aquanaut and Doody (http://hol.abime.net/5407) are two games that do not

They didn't when I had an A1200 years ago with a CD32 pad (IIRC), and they don't work on a CD32 console either. Alien Bash II is another culprit. It registers the red button as joy fire 1 and 2 being pressed simultaneously.

I believe these errors are all caused due to incompatibility with the CD32 pad output with the native code of these games.

The point I'm making is that I'm not complaining about the patch offered here, but rather the actual code in the original games.

If you'd like me to test MR on a real CD32, send me a PM.
Can I get you test the attached slave. I just noticed I compiled the original one with a slightly modified version of the ReadJoypad.s, which could be the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: slave Aquanaut.slave (2.3 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by TCD; 08 December 2010 at 07:20. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use multi-quote.
Old 08 December 2010, 09:20   #12
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Thanks - will try again when I get home tonight (fingers crossed)
Old 08 December 2010, 10:13   #13
Asman

Hi

@Hungry Horace
Could you upload or sent to me your patched cd32 pad routine. Thanks.

@Abaddon
Could you sent to me your modifed version of ReadJoypad.s ( I'm to lazy to resource your slave ). Thanks

Regards

Last edited by Asman; 08 December 2010 at 10:33.
Old 08 December 2010, 14:37   #14
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Asman - http://www.whdload.de/games/CarVup.html

It will be included in there
Old 08 December 2010, 17:13   #15
Abaddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
Hi

@Hungry Horace
Could you upload or sent to me your patched cd32 pad routine. Thanks.

@Abaddon
Could you sent to me your modifed version of ReadJoypad.s ( I'm to lazy to resource your slave ). Thanks

Regards
It's a bit late for that as I deleted it last night. It was only meant for my testing/debugging/learning purposes. If you resource the slave you will find code missing from the joypad section as it was commented out.

One thing the I found odd is when patching the red button...basically replacing the btst #7,$bfe001 I also had to change the bne to a beq or beq to a bne.
Old 08 December 2010, 17:16   #16
Asman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
Asman - http://www.whdload.de/games/CarVup.html

It will be included in there
Hi Hungry Horace,

Thank you.

Can someone explain me in simply words where is the problem ( game checks red button in cd32 way ( potgo things ) but not checks in normal way or I'm missing something ).

Regards
Old 08 December 2010, 17:50   #17
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Hi Asman,

That's correct - by introducing the readjoypad.s code into the VBI, the original joystick fire tests stop working.
Old 08 December 2010, 18:11   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I think the problem is missing bset d3,(ciapra,a1) (at the end of read routine), without this you always get zero if joystick/pad does not have pullup resistor in firebutton line.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 08 December 2010 at 18:11. Reason: ciapra, not ddra
Old 08 December 2010, 20:41   #19
Psygore

why ReadJoypad.s tests 8 buttons ?
cd32 pad has only 7
Old 08 December 2010, 20:55   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

(not actually answer to your question)

"8th button" is always "pressed", this can be used to detect if CD32 pad is connected. (At least one non pressed button and 8th is pressed = probably CD32 pad connected)