English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 January 2012, 14:41   #1
resle

Post Changing Winuae UI key bindings

Is it possible to change Winuae UI key bindings, and how?

Namely, I need to change the "Insert disk into DF0:" to Windows key + 1, just to begin with.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 18 January 2012, 15:08   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

AFAIK there is no shortcut for that.

I tried to find a list of WinUAE UI shortcuts and there doesn't appear to be one. While the emulator itself is very good, the documentation is not.
Old 18 January 2012, 15:44   #3
resle

Ouch, it's a shame - I am using a real Amiga 500 keyboard through Vesalia Keyrah interface... and a lot of must-have keys for Winuae are missing. Just to name two: no F11 or F12!

Old 18 January 2012, 15:55   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There is no qualifier support (press something and something else = something happens) but you can remap "Insert disk in DF0:" to any key or joystick button.
Old 18 January 2012, 16:00   #5
resle

Thanks for the clarification Toni. But, where/how exactly? I tried to search for "Winuae key bindings" here and there but couldn't find anything... thanks again

Old 18 January 2012, 16:40   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Use the 'Input' panel for that.

Edit: Also have a look here : http://awesome.commodore.me/forum/sh...85&postcount=3

Last edited by TCD; 18 January 2012 at 16:45.
Old 18 January 2012, 16:41   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Input panel, Switch to manual configuration ("Configuration #1 for example"), click Remap, press key/button/whatever you want to remap, find correct input target.

(It can be a bit confusing..)
Old 18 January 2012, 16:49   #8
resle

Thanks everyone... I was already peeking into source code! Speaking of which, congratulations Toni, it's a monumental codebase, I wonder how you manage to mantain it all by yourself!

Old 18 January 2012, 19:14   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by resle View Post
I wonder how you manage to mantain it all by yourself!
I have no idea.

btw, but I do have an idea for configurable qualifier input support, it should be possible to implement now ("GamePorts" Input panel support made it much more flexible)

- Any key, button and even dpad direction can be configured as a qualifier.
- Number of qualifiers will be limited, I guess 8 is more than enough.
- Any input target can include optional qualifier(s). Target only triggers when all qualifiers are active at the same time.

Most annoying problem is GUI as usual
Old 18 January 2012, 20:59   #10
resle

If the GUI could be detached from the main executable, I'd offer myself to help with it (even a complete rewrite)

Old 19 January 2012, 10:33   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
If the GUI could be detached from the main executable, I'd offer myself to help with it (even a complete rewrite)
No. Configuration file editor is not a proper emulator GUI. It has to be integrated with the emulator, it has to work on the fly. (I have posted new GUI requirements in some thread I don't remember anymore)
Old 19 January 2012, 15:27   #12
resle

Right, I forgot it allows to change things on the fly! But, what if... (just wondering) the GUI and the emulator talked one each other through windows messaging or udp strings?

Probably overcomplicating things, but it would also open some new possibilities, like having both the emulator AND the gui open. Quite useful for many usage scenarios.

Old 19 January 2012, 15:33   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hi. I'm using a Commodore 64 with a mini ITX inside (writting on it). Another option you have is to change your own keys with Keyextender or KeyTweak. Of course I had the same problem with F11 or F10. I prefer keyextender.

EDIT: Wow... 1000 posts.

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 January 2012 at 15:41.
Old 19 January 2012, 21:10   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Right, I forgot it allows to change things on the fly! But, what if... (just wondering) the GUI and the emulator talked one each other through windows messaging or udp strings?
It would make things too complex. GUI talks directly with too many things, it would require dozens of different protocols for little gain.

Quote:
Probably overcomplicating things, but it would also open some new possibilities, like having both the emulator AND the gui open. Quite useful for many usage scenarios.
Integrated GUI or not, no difference. It would be quite easy to do this but it can cause other issues (locking/thread safety) that UAE has never been prepared to handle. Possible but not worth the trouble as usual