English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 August 2020, 16:14   #21
Sim085

It did work when I pulled it out from one of my PCs but that was a couple of years ago now. I just remembered of these floppy drives now, one was easy, this one a little harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Is this a known working PC floppy drive? I.e. was it working as a PC floppy drive?

Both Pin 10 and pin 12 are 4.7v. When I do a signal test Pin 10 goes to 0.7v and pin 12 remains at 4.7v.

Quote:
Do you see pin 10 go low (ground or 0V)?

I have checked all the pins and traces where I have cut and there is no link between them. Only think strange I found is pin 14 (/DRVSA), I cannot trace this to IC1 chip. For pins 10 and 12 I have also checked if maybe they are short with ground but can confirm no.

Quote:
It could be that the mod changes are shorting somewhere

Last edited by Sim085; 10 August 2020 at 16:55.
Old 10 August 2020, 18:25   #22
solarmon

That sounds like it is pulling DS0 pin down near enough to ground. Check that it is doing the same at the IC1 chip.

Also check the /TRK0 pin 26 too - does this get pulled down to 0V when the the read/write head should be at track 0?
Old 10 August 2020, 19:08   #23
Sim085

I cannot notice a voltage drop when the drive should be at track 0 (i.e. - when doing a Signal Test). However I can trace this back to the IC1 chip.

... I do not know if this makes any difference... but when ATK, in Signal Test screen, when I press F5 it starts the motor, but if I press F5 again it does not stop (like it does on other drives) it simply continues. F6 also seems to do nothing.

Quote:
That sounds like it is pulling DS0 pin down near enough to ground. Check that it is doing the same at the IC1 chip.

Also check the /TRK0 pin 26 too - does this get pulled down to 0V when the the read/write head should be at track 0?
Old 10 August 2020, 19:57   #24
solarmon

F6 should alternately step in and out of track 0. However, if the drive select is not working then this won't work either.

Unless you can prove that it works as a PC drive, then we can't rule it out as a faulty drive with a faulty controller chip.
Old 10 August 2020, 20:44   #25
Sim085

I agree. To be honest everything looks connected and therefore I can only conclude that either the drive was faulty, or I must have done something to make it unhappy.

Well I did manage to convert another drive (not same type, was easier) so still happy.

Quote:
Unless you can prove that it works as a PC drive, then we can't rule it out as a faulty drive with a faulty controller chip.
Thank you to all for the help and advice. I still learnt a lot