English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 16 May 2001, 05:33   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ian Charge

Dear comrades and members of the amiga politburo...
A new site has popped up...one dedicated to bringing you fles, screenshots, info and tips about the great Lucas Arts adventure games of the Amiga era. Run by the good pal of ours , Ian, who has happily posted FIXED versions of Das Boot and Fighter Duel Pro. also included is the incredibly rare Fighter Duel Pro 2, fixed by ...Ian these are faulty all over the web until he fixed em, so get them here..and wait for more developments:float

http://www.geocities.com/lucasartsonamiga/

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 04 August 2001 at 09:06.
Old 16 May 2001, 11:45   #2
RCK
Administrator

Maybe all the lucasArt info we can found there are good,
but the website design is awful ! (pink & purple)
Old 16 May 2001, 12:07   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

Well Sorrrrrrry

Saying it's my first ever attempt at a web site I don't think it's to bad.

And what's wrong with purple, it Seems to ME that this very web site your on now is a distinct shade of PURPLE itself!!!!!
Old 16 May 2001, 13:17   #4
RCK
Administrator

bah don't take it bad
Old 16 May 2001, 13:37   #5
Ian
Global Moderator

Try it now

I've changed the front page colour, to a sort of blue colour, let me know if it's any better, as for the pink pages thats just a code I stuffed in there late last night, I didn't know what colour it was. I only did that because some people were still clicking on pages that I already told tham was blank, and I didn't want them to think that something may be wrong with their computers or browsers.

RCK if you can give me any advice, I would love to here it, 'cause as I said this is my first web site, and I would rather it wasn't a stinking pile of shit.
Old 16 May 2001, 14:16   #6
RCK
Administrator

Okay

You could first use <TABLE> for all your text.
so you'll have one background color, and one other for the text area (more easy to read for us)

about the gfx, you haven't any so there no problem

and don't use to much big size for your text (font size)
ex: the sub-title "Here you will found ..." is to big (here), think about people who only have 800*600 resolution, or who surf the web with their Amiga.

That's all for the moment
Old 16 May 2001, 15:06   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

The page is VERY Netscape unfriendly. Tried it with and without Javascript. Displays poorly both ways and I am sure neither is the proper way. No graphics, text overlayed on top of text, etc.

And no WinUAE link.
Old 16 May 2001, 15:06   #8
Ian
Global Moderator

Thanks

I was already doing the thing about the text, as you can see if you check back there, I didn't know about the text size problem though, so I'll fix that later.

Thanks for your help.

And all the pages have the same colour on now. No more Pink
Old 16 May 2001, 17:19   #9
Gibby

Buttons Won't Work

In addition to it being Netscape unfriendly it is also failing on the browsers here at my university. They have IE 5.5 but we can't install any plugins or anything like that and on entering your page there is some problem with the ActiveX controls and as a result there are 8 white boxes on the side of the screen (which I assume are buttons) and I can click on them.

However, its a great idea for a site. Being such I huge Star Wars fan I am also a huge fan of LucasArts stuff. Even if they have been letting themselves down recently.

Old 16 May 2001, 17:51   #10
Ian
Global Moderator

Sorry Gibby

Heres a link to the winuae page www.geocities.com/lucasartsonamiga/winuae.htm all the buttons use shockwave so you probalby won't be able to use them.

Don't worry your not missing anything, none of the other pages have anything on them yet.

I'll try and put some sort of navigation bar on there for all users, but that won't be until at least Sunday.

If anyone wants to write a review about any Lucasarts game send them to lucasartsonamiga@yahoo.co.uk
Old 16 May 2001, 17:52   #11
Khephren

Yeah I am getting the same on mine.

I just wish that if it can't find the macromedia plugin, it wouldn't bother downloading the sodding file.

Lots of Dreamweaver JScript as well...hmmm nice :-)

Old 16 May 2001, 18:24   #12
Gibby

Alternative Menu's

On my (piss poor) website I use a nice Java Applet that I got from somewhere. However some people complained that they can't use it so I created a link, to load in an alternative menu which was completely HTML and the world rejoiced :bounce

The one thing I've learnt in my short and uneventfull website life is not to make your pages using anything that a lot of people may not have.

I'm not particuallarly bothered about it myself cos in about 10 days I will finish uni for good and I will leave Nottingham for Durham and go back to browsing the internet on my computer which will have all the neccessary stuff on it.

Old 16 May 2001, 19:06   #13
Khephren

Java apps do get my tits, or rather the over use of java apps to do something just as easily in HTML/JScript/CGI.

I seen some good useful Java menus, but then again the majority are just pointless.

Geocities (the bloke who runs it say 80% of their hosted sites are crap) and Fortune City site owners are the worse.

Old 16 May 2001, 19:10   #14
Gibby

I know what you mean.

I don't like using Java Apps either. In fact the JavaApp menu on my page is currently getting re-written by me using JScript so I can completely get rid of the JavaApp and therefore the complaints when it (for some unknown reason) doesn't work for someone.

I only use 2 JavaApps in my site and as soon as I've finished getting rid of the menu, I'll get rid of the other one as well.

Old 17 May 2001, 03:53   #15
Amiga1992

Java applets are downright nasty. Specially if you use Netscape, where the first time you load an applet, the browser gets stuck there, loading the java console, or something. Just plain arse.

Macromedia's Flash has been spreaded enough, and that's why you see many sites applying some Flash tidbits, because they know the plugin is bundled with the most popular browsers. It's pretty slick, but obviously, a check for the plugin always helps. ALWAYS check for the plugin
Old 21 June 2006, 16:21   #16
Dizzy
Pirate

Wonder if Ian ever finish this site
Old 21 June 2006, 16:52   #17
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Well its still up.....But very unfinished lol. Wonder if he meant come back in a week starting April 1st 2010?