English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 07 February 2010, 03:11   #41
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I tried again it defo boots into workbench on a soft reset from the radboot gamesmenu. Not a problem though as I have made a smaller games list now and from power on to getting into a game via the right click menu takes about 20-30 seconds and I can live with that

Also the quit key still works in some games like Test Drive 2 and Superfrog.

Also setup the rom switch and that works too. Just need to fix the switch to the case. (was a bit late to get the drill out.) It was quite nice to see the 1.3 insert disk screen reminded me of the old days when I had my A500 lol

Steve.
Old 07 February 2010, 12:25   #42
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
I'll try again in a while, just making a smaller games list

Just so we're singing from the same hymn sheet.. Boot holding left mouse, then choose radboot, choose games menu. It boots in Amigados and the games menu loads.

I play a game, till bordom or I finish it

Then restart with CTRL & the two Amiga Keys.

It should boot back to the Games Menu?
That's what it should do - making your Amiga into a game launcher on boot. It will use the same method for KGLoad, but it's annoying if a real Amiga doesn't use RAD: as it should.

In WinUAE, the three finger salute (CTRL & two Amiga keys) is Ctrl+Home+Insert. It boots back into the Gamesmenu.

You say it takes 30 seconds on a 68000? The program was never designed and optimized for so many entries, shame someone can't make an optimized version. As we've mentioned before, how long for a re-launch when cached from memory on an A600?
Old 07 February 2010, 13:23   #43
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
how long for a re-launch when cached from memory on an A600?
Its pretty much instant mate

But I've stripped the list down to about 60 games on DH1 instead and changed the assign, its about 8-10 seconds for the first run which is fine

And if I want to play one of the other 900 games I can go to the games drive and run it.

Also I've fitted my rom switch now

And the case closes fine, the problem before was the keyboard wasn't seated properly in the top cover its a nice fit now

So I thought I'd share some more pics:

Old 07 February 2010, 14:22   #44
Bloodwych

Great pics - lovely clean A600. What a great neat little gaming machine it is!!! Nothing like it will ever exist again!

Great setup you have there in your front room. I bet you get asked questions when visitors come around.
Old 07 February 2010, 14:26   #45
Allen1

Excellent job there Steve

I just have a question about the CF card and that is do you sit it on some insulation in a hard drive cradle or place some insulation underneath it prior to closing the case if no cradle is present. I just used some card from a cornflake box cut to fit the inside of the cradle and then stuck my CF adaptor to it with a double sided sticky pad (works fine). I knew those days of watching Blue Peter would pay off in the end
Old 07 February 2010, 15:17   #46
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Great pics - lovely clean A600. What a great neat little gaming machine it is!!! Nothing like it will ever exist again!

Great setup you have there in your front room. I bet you get asked questions when visitors come around.
Yep its a nice talking point, I usually get the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
Excellent job there Steve

I just have a question about the CF card and that is do you sit it on some insulation in a hard drive cradle or place some insulation underneath it prior to closing the case if no cradle is present.
The bottom of the adapter is plastic and no pins are touching the main board so I didn't do anything yet, it just sits there...

Also I am thinking of mounting the card with a slot in the side of the case for the CF card so I can easily swap it round without opening the case...
Old 07 February 2010, 15:45   #47
Allen1

Quote:
Thanks Guys!

The bottom of the adapter is plastic and no pins are touching the main board so I didn't do anything yet, it just sits there...

Also I am thinking of mounting the card with a slot in the side of the case for the CF card so I can easily swap it round without opening the case...
Aha, that's great, the type of CF adaptors I have do have exposed solder joints and tracks hence the insulation question.

The side entry idea is a great one, I can't remember if it was Alex or Merlin or possibly someone else who showed a picture of their machine modified in that way (above the PCMCIA slot), I wonder if they used a buffered IDE interface with that as I tried a longer cable from the motherboard connector and had no joy at getting my card to be seen, it worked ok with the short cable though and the longer cable was actually sound when tested.

It would be brilliant once done for trying different set-ups without overwriting any files and losing settings etc and also cloning cards for other Amigas.
Old 07 February 2010, 15:59   #48
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
The side entry idea is a great one, I can't remember if it was Alex or Merlin or possibly someone else who showed a picture of their machine modified in that way (above the PCMCIA slot)
Thats what gave me the idea

But I might put it at the back and I woud need a longer IDE cable the one in my 1200 is longer so I could swap them over

I would just use a metal file and create a gap where the case joins & hot glue the adapter in place, at least thats the plan...
Old 07 February 2010, 16:05   #49
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

No buffered interface. I ran a 1-device 44-pin IDE cable from the connector folded at right angles in two places to the PCMCIA connector where I glued the IDE->CF adapter in place ontop. Filed the PCMCIA slot to make it taller so it did not look like I cut the case.
Old 07 February 2010, 16:19   #50
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
No buffered interface. I ran a 1-device 44-pin IDE cable from the connector folded at right angles in two places to the PCMCIA connector where I glued the IDE->CF adapter in place ontop. Filed the PCMCIA slot to make it taller so it did not look like I cut the case.
I wonder where I am going wrong with the cable I have? I even compressed the connectors in a vice in case there was a possible weak connection on one of the pins then checked the connection pin for pin with a multimeter and all were fine.

It looks like I will try this cable out as it is cheap enough and will always come in handy at that price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Update:-

I just ordered 2 as they will do for my 1200 and 600, I can only guess as to the problem with the cable I have as being a poor connection on one of the pins when the cable is connected.

Last edited by Allen1; 07 February 2010 at 16:30.
Old 07 February 2010, 17:11   #51
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks for the link Allan. I might invest to save messing with my A1200
Old 07 February 2010, 17:36   #52
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
Excellent pics of the new 600 Steve, it looks in superb condition
Old 07 February 2010, 17:44   #53
Allen1

Quote:
Thanks for the link Allan. I might invest to save messing with my A1200
No Problem Steve, I just bought 2, 1 for the 1200 and the other for the 600. At that price and free posting its good value and Shaun the seller has emailed saying :-

Quote:
Dear gravypie,

Thank you for your purchase of the item listed below:

Item title: Laptop 2.5" Hard Drive IDE Cable 20cm 44 Way
Buyer User ID: gravypie
Seller User ID: fullspeedit

DSR returns policy

In line with Distance Selling Regulations (DSR) i'm happy to accept
returns when notified of your wish to cancel the transaction within 14
days. The item(s) must be returned to me within a reasonable timeframe,
as supplied, undamaged, with all packaging and unmodified from the
supplied state.

The item(s) must be returned to me, to the address at the bottom of this

email, at your cost.

It is your responsibility to ensure that the item(s) arrive back with me

safely - you should request a proof of posting if you are using Royal
Mail. NB - Proof of posting is not proof of delivery.

Once I have received the item(s) supplied I will refund your purchase
price.

Regards,

Shaun
So there is very little to go wrong, you can even make a shorter cable out of it if required and still have enough cable to to use to repair any damaged ones
Old 07 February 2010, 18:51   #54
amigakit.com

@Allen1

We sell Amiga hard disk cables starting from £2.35 here:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...page=1&sort=3a
Old 07 February 2010, 19:31   #55
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1200 View Post
Excellent pics of the new 600 Steve, it looks in superb condition
Thanks Mate!
Old 07 February 2010, 20:42   #56
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@Allen1

We sell Amiga hard disk cables starting from £2.35 here:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...page=1&sort=3a

Hi there amigakit.com,

there is no doubt that you carry an exceptional range of products aimed at the Amiga community and I wasn't aware that you did ready made lengths as in the 20cm cables I just bought elsewhere, those cables however do have free postage and are priced differently to your own stock. No animosity intended but it always comes down to price or availability as to what will be bought or where from. I for one will always try to find a way to use what is cheaper or freely available and enjoy what I learn from doing so and that covers a multitude of subjects.

I know where to look when I decide to fit a CD into my Amiga and need a buffered IDE interface or a trapdoor ram card for the 600 and will probably take advantage of your goods, but as always its price, need and availability that decides where the purchases come from.

Apologies Steve for changing the subject, I am also impressed with your pics and you have done a great job there M8
Old 08 February 2010, 00:39   #57
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:

Apologies Steve for changing the subject, I am also impressed with your pics and you have done a great job there M8
Thanks Allen, No worries. Glad my thread has been of some use

I might be getting a spare case so I will have a go with the CF card mod will let y'all know how it goes... (wont matter if I mess up lol...)
Old 08 February 2010, 11:37   #58
amigakit.com

@fitzsteve

I notice from your detailed pics that you are using our EasyADF - which version is that - there have been quite a few updates recently for the A600.
Old 08 February 2010, 13:34   #59
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@fitzsteve

I notice from your detailed pics that you are using our EasyADF - which version is that - there have been quite a few updates recently for the A600.
Thanks amigakit, not sure of the version number it dosent say on the floppy or in the software (just says 2009 leaman computing ltd) but I got it about 6 months ago.

I only really got it to use my PCMCIA card reader as I had no way of getting the required files onto my Amiga! Although I have used it to create a few ADF's and transfer some to disk.

I do mean to get an A1200 keyboard at some point and maybe one of those slightly longer floppy cables if I do I'll drop the update disk into my basket

Steve.
Old 08 February 2010, 18:46   #60
amigakit.com

PMail me the invoice number on which you originally ordered EasyADF from us, and I can check the version number that you were supplied.