English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 05 November 2019, 17:22   #1
MickGyver

Using sprites for HUD etc.

How would one go about setting up sprites to use for a HUD or the like? Say I wanted to use four 16px wide sprites to make a HUD that is 64px wide, how would I then draw images and text to the sprites making up the HUD?
Old 05 November 2019, 17:35   #2
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

You create the sprites and draw them as needed... I am not sure I understood your question.

I know the game looks shit, but the numbers on the above portion of screen are sprites. Each digit is a sprite.
Old 05 November 2019, 17:49   #3
MickGyver

Thanks, I was thinking about the possibility to manipulate sprite data like bitmaps, to have a more "dynamic" sprite built of shapes and text etc.
Old 05 November 2019, 17:51   #4
MickGyver

The HUD on Rod-Land is what I would like to achieve, might be too complicated: https://codetapper.com/amiga/sprite-tricks/rod-land/
Old 05 November 2019, 17:58   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Oh I see.

You can draw the sprites and then blit the extra info (Scores / lives etc) on top of it.

Or I believe you could have a bitmap where you draw the stuff you want, use the GetaSprite command to make a sprite out of it and draw it on screen as a sprite. I dont think it would be faster than just blitting over the sprite though.

Though if you want to scroll the rest of the screen, it would be a better way to do it, as you can scroll the bitmap and keep the sprites intact.
Old 05 November 2019, 22:36   #6
Daedalus

You can do it very easily by drawing directly to shapes (ShapesBitMap, MakeCookie), then transferring the image data to the sprite using GetaSprite. This copies the image data, so it's not entirely efficient, but if it's a relatively small amount of information the time taken should be minimal.

I haven't tried it, but to actually draw directly to the sprite image data, you could use CludgeBitmap, which sets up a bitmap object but doesn't allocate any memory for it. Instead, you give it a pointer to already-allocated memory, such as manually decoded image data, or the bitmap of a sprite.

Code:
myBitMap.l = Peek.l(ADDR Sprite 0)
CludgeBitmap 0, 16, 16, 2, myBitMap
should give you the image data pointer, then create bitmap object ID 0 (16x16, 4 colour) at that location, allowing you to draw to it at will. Bear in mind that that will update in realtime on the screen, so you might want to synchronise your drawing with VWait.
Old 06 November 2019, 08:13   #7
MickGyver

Thanks guys! CludgeBitmap seems to be what I'm looking for. I'll have a go at it and report back!