English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 14 April 2017, 23:58   #21
happymondays

IMO it looks brilliant and I think the playfield is just as big as it should be, but of course it is just me.
Old 23 April 2017, 21:07   #22
Anakirob
Unregistered User

I have some questions about what this game might be like to play.

So are all the different characters from all the different sporting disciplines all playing something like 1v1 Ice Hockey in different arenas? Or will there be significantly different mechanics for each character and/or arena and possibly the ball/puck/disc.

One good thing about remaking an existing game is the ability to address any gameplay issues that you feel were present in the first, and the second good thing is the ability to expand upon the original concept. It looks like this is something that you are very much planning to do

And as has been mentioned generally high-resolution rendered sprites do not make the translation to low-resolution very well, but that does not mean that it cannot be done. But one method that could work well is to render the sprites and then use these rendered frames as a base for pixel-art style player graphics.

Please do not be discouraged from developing a AAA Amiga game. I personally have purchased two in the last 6 months.
Old 23 April 2017, 23:02   #23
TheFoxSoft
KO2 world champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I have some questions about what this game might be like to play.

So are all the different characters from all the different sporting disciplines all playing something like 1v1 Ice Hockey in different arenas? Or will there be significantly different mechanics for each character and/or arena and possibly the ball/puck/disc.

One good thing about remaking an existing game is the ability to address any gameplay issues that you feel were present in the first, and the second good thing is the ability to expand upon the original concept. It looks like this is something that you are very much planning to do

And as has been mentioned generally high-resolution rendered sprites do not make the translation to low-resolution very well, but that does not mean that it cannot be done. But one method that could work well is to render the sprites and then use these rendered frames as a base for pixel-art style player graphics.

Please do not be discouraged from developing a AAA Amiga game. I personally have purchased two in the last 6 months.
The game would have basically the WindJammers gameplay, a pong like game with power ups and etc...

Yes the gameplay should be adapted to work well with joysticks, I can take advantage from quick and accurate movements that can be performed with a classic joystick.

I agree with you, maybe the GFX can be edited manually to have a better pixel-art style :-)
Old 24 April 2017, 03:49   #24
Anakirob
Unregistered User

I am glad to see that you have not lost interest in developing this because of our misunderstanding, I think the classy thing to do now is to not draw too much attention to it. But I will just add that I have the utmost respect for anyone who embarks on a project of this nature. And I will say on the public record that I am very sorry for any misunderstandings that arose.

I am like a HUGE Neo Geo fan so a remake of a Neo Geo game is definitely something I am interested in. I have purchased a number of emulation based hand-helds in the past just so I could play Neo Geo (and CPS:) games.

I did actually have to look for some gameplay footage on YouTube before I could comment further as though I have played Wind Jammers it always seemed like the kind of game which is most fun when played against a human opponent and as such I'm not real familiar with this particular title.

So anyway a Pong-like game with powerups seems like a pretty good idea to me, but it is a game from 1994 and I think modern Amiga games which do things common in games from this century is a good idea also.

Things like achievements, upgradeable stats, unlockable players, skins and abilities, multiple game modes and so forth. And maybe even online multiplayer/tournament, we used to use null-modem for this, but modern PCMCIA adaptors and connectivity of the host machine in UAE also give us other options so now we do not have to be physically close to the other machine.

I am all for the idea of commercial Amiga titles, I assume this is what you meant when you said "AAA" game. The more you can improve upon the original concept the more value your product has.

For example I might only be willing to spend a couple of bucks on a straight port, but add some additional playability and longevity by introducing new features and this sum that I might be willing to pay becomes multiplied by 10 or more.
=edit=
Also if you're too humble to mention in this thread that you are in fact a serious games developer then I will just politely point people to this site http://www.thefoxsoftware.com/ and mention that Power Disc is available on the Android Store. Why didn't you say so?

It's pretty good, but I don't play games on my phone much.

I see that it does in fact have all the things I would like. If you can get a 200-256 colour version of that somehow using pre-rendered data then it seems like it's a game for two mice to me :) And CD seems like the obvious medium rather than floppy. Don't bother with a floppy version in my opinion just go for as accurate reproduction of the Android game with pre rendered graphics galore. CD-TV and CD32 never had any real killer titles. Don't you think it would be cool to fix that? I do!

Power Disc on the Amiga is absolutely a AAA title, the first for a long time. I like R3D and PixelGlass but this is another league. Look>
[ Show youtube player ]
But I searched YouTube for it again and again and it did not come up!
I followed the link on your site to get this link. I blame YouTube and their bloody "Suggested Content" algorithms!

And finally for all of you who are wondering about the brief tornado of shit which was here last night I was completely unaware that this title existed even after extensively googling, yahooing and YouTubing did not see this game was actually availabe now on Andriod. (as FireFox has gone and switched:) then all I can say is "boy is my face red" the response from FoxSoft of (quote0WTF?(/quote) is quite obvious in this context and I would have approached this completely differently if his google ranking fot this game were better as it never appeared on any permutation of those words on the first two or three pages of any google search. While I did not add "android" or "Mobile" or anything to my search terms I definitely had "game""gaming""indie" and so on!-Hopefully linking to both the site and the video on the first post will greatly boost your Google and YouTube ranks.

Last edited by Anakirob; 24 April 2017 at 17:17. Reason: If I were talking to an Aussie demoscene coder I would say "pre render the fuck out of that son of a bitch!"
Old 27 September 2017, 19:58   #25
Amigajay

Did this ever get past the planning stages?
Old 27 September 2017, 20:02   #26
DamienD
Banned

...sadly I think TheSoftFox was put off after Anakirob's rant and stupid claim to copyright of a name

If you look at TheSoftFox's profile, he has never returned to EAB after all this kicked off

Real shame
Old 27 September 2017, 20:50   #27
Amigajay

Yeah shame, I see the game was already released for android and iOS 3 years ago, so any claim that twonk above was null and void not that he had any claim anyway.

But yeah it doesn't help when we get so few new devs that get scared off.
Old 27 September 2017, 21:52   #28
DamienD
Banned

Yup, I sent a PM to TheSoftFox on the 24th of August apologising for Anakirob shite behaviour and mentioned that the majority of EAB were ecstatic that someone with his skills was going to create a new Amiga game that looked very cool indeed

...unfortunately my PM still hasn't been read

Hopefully he'll come back someday.
Old 27 September 2017, 23:01   #29
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
He's a friend of mine, I'll ask him to revisit this thread.
Old 27 September 2017, 23:37   #30
DamienD
Banned

Excellent news alkis21, please do

...and ask him to please read my PM also; I meant what I said
Old 29 September 2017, 16:56   #31
TheFoxSoft
KO2 world champion

Hello guys,
I apologize about my silence, I am not offended at all by your previous posts.
I would like to thank DamienD and Anakirob for their private messages, really really appreciated.

The silence is not related to the discussion we had, sometimes real life turns into something unexpected and it is difficult to follow everything.
In the meanwhile I have been involved in a big pc / console project, it requires a lot of effort and it is a chance I cannot miss.
I still want to release an Amiga game, I learnt to develop when I was teenager with this machine and soon or later I will came up with a new game; but unfortunately I must postpone it.

About the project what worries me is the 3d model -> 2d gfx porting, I feel retrogamers would not appreciate it. So maybe a real WindJammers Amiga port, using real arcade sprites would make more sense

Last edited by TheFoxSoft; 30 September 2017 at 10:46.
Old 29 September 2017, 17:39   #32
Amiga1992

There's plenty of "2.5D" pre-rendered 3D games out there, on the Amiga we have Stardust, Primal Rage and *cough* Rise Of The Robots, on other platforms, cool games like Pulstar, Donkey Kong Country or Viewpoint use that same technique. I think it looks great (if done properly).

Welcome back! I am glad some douchebag comments did not put you off from your project. Whenever you're ready, we'll be here.
Old 30 September 2017, 10:46   #33
TheFoxSoft
KO2 world champion

Thank you Akira
Old 30 September 2017, 11:25   #34
Amigajay

Of course it's totally upto you, imo pre rendered graphics have aged the worse over the years, where as 'pixel art' games have maintained their charm, Neo-Geo games still look as fresh as they did 25 years ago, but whatever is easier for you to make at the end of the day, you can always modify them later...
Old 05 October 2017, 04:05   #35
Anakirob
Unregistered User

I don't think that there is any bad blood between TheFoxSoft and myself and I have evidence to this effect, not the least of which being that I have long since purchased the Android version of this game (:shortly before editing my original post:P) and TheFoxSoft is most likely aware of this.

<snip by DamienD; please reframe from labeling people with certain ideological groups on EAB>

I hope that any Amiga version is a bit less automated than the Android version...

...Like I said, it seems like the perfect game to be played with two mice like Hired Guns or Lemmings and I would buy the shit out of an Amiga version, but I hope that it comes on CD as I have had to sell my real Amigas (along with some internal organs) and I don't have a floppy drive capable of reading Amiga floppies.

Last edited by DamienD; 05 October 2017 at 11:25.
Old 27 October 2017, 14:32   #36
SimonCD32
Amiga Diva

This game looks real nice. I would support and so would my homies.
Old 27 October 2017, 15:34   #37
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
well it's a neogeo game, but it's not one too demanding. It could be done in 256 colors.
Old 27 October 2017, 16:18   #38
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
well it's a neogeo game, but it's not one too demanding. It could be done in 256 colors.
What are you even talking about, man?

No decent arcade game will run fine on an A1200/CD32 displaying 256 colors (no copper tricks) at once.
Old 27 October 2017, 16:52   #39
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Could be, if you drop the framerate to 1/5 and reduce colors to 16.
Old 27 October 2017, 17:59   #40
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
What are you even talking about, man?

No decent arcade game will run fine on an A1200/CD32 displaying 256 colors (no copper tricks) at once.
It's a simple game, with 2 players on screen, a flying disc, and a HUD.

It's not metal slug or a king of fighters game !