English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 April 2006, 00:06   #1
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Amiga - most robust machine ever?

Having read lots of old posts, I've noted that many users have encountered problems with their Amigas over the years.

I find this hard to believe!

I've owned many of these machines (500 / 600 / 1200) and have never had a problem with any of them apart from the odd drive failing.

Infact they have been taken apart, dropped, stood on in anger and one was even mistaken for a urinal once after a very heavy drinking session.

I cannot imagine a modern machine being plugged, unplugged, reset fifty times every hour, turned off whilst loading disks, having a knife with superglue on it thrust into it's drive every other day, thrown in a damp shed for two tears, and still found to be working perfectly.

Remarkable machines which will stand the test of time!

I'll wait for the day when Timeteam unearth an Amiga and plug it straight into the mains and hear it clicking away.

So if you've got an Amiga which doesn't work, then you've been fiddling with it tooo much!
Old 18 April 2006, 00:34   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I used to think that, then my floppy chip died.... Time gets us all
Old 18 April 2006, 00:34   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magno Boots
having a knife with superglue on it thrust into it's drive every other day
I did that with my a500... it died

Blew a CIA chip and killed drive heads
Old 18 April 2006, 00:36   #4
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I find it hard to believe that somebody would piss on an Amiga. "So if you've got an Amiga which doesn't work, then you've been pissing on it tooo much!"

But seriously, all old computers (uh, except maybe the Spectrum) were built with much higher quality than computers today. Computers these days are not built to last and are expected to be replaced in a year or two. Maybe they design them to fail so people will buy again (lessons from the auto industry). Obviously profit margins also have something to do with it. Old keyboards were solid and cost about $200 - new ones are flimsy cheapo-plastic and cost less than $40.
Old 18 April 2006, 01:08   #5
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Old machines last because they were simpler machines that ran much slower and generated much less heat. How can you compare a A500 that ran at 8Mhz to a new 4Ghz machine where the CPU itslef puts out more heat then the whole A500 did.

Also just because you have an A500 that works doesn't mean millions of others have not died out and have been trashed long ago.
Old 18 April 2006, 01:11   #6
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

My current black A1200 had a pint of beer spilled over it, after a night in the airing cupboard and a quick clean she was back again! although I have to say shes now on her 3rd internal drive, funny dont you think that ive yet to have any external amiga drives die on me, even my really old cumana one thats probarbly seen more use than any other drive I have!

As for the quality of modern computers, well yes, it generally sucks!
You would'nt believe how many times the machines at work die resulting in me raiding the display case in the main office and finishing letters or memos on an osbourne or a Mac SE
Old 18 April 2006, 09:26   #7
redblade
Zone Friend

I've gone thru about 4-5 screens
Old 18 April 2006, 10:14   #8
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Have any of you bought a 'new' Amiga? I mean the ones that have been sitting in the original box since day one. How do they stand the test of time?
Old 18 April 2006, 11:06   #9
StarEye
Zone Friend

Thing is, nowadays computer parts are made for the consume and dispose mentality. They're not meant to last. There's no computers in the sense that Amiga was a computer these days, they are mainly a mix of upgradable parts put together as an momentarily solution.
Old 18 April 2006, 12:11   #10
Strings
Settling in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha
Have any of you bought a 'new' Amiga? I mean the ones that have been sitting in the original box since day one. How do they stand the test of time?
I've got myself an unused Amiga500 Cartoon Classics boxset. The one that came with Deluxe Paint, Lemmings, Simpsons and all that jazz.

It looks like its stood the test of time pretty well. Can't vouch for whether it works or not.. but its not been used so I can't see why not.

Last edited by Strings; 18 April 2006 at 12:16.
Old 18 April 2006, 12:12   #11
Parsec

Coming from an age of C64 and Amiga computers I always thought that electronic stuff lasted pretty much forever.

It's certainly true that modern electronics are far worse in this respect. I've had to replace the house alarm box which wasn't old but suddenly started going off on it's own, and more recently I've had to replace a broadband router which seemed to be working fine but made it look like there was a fault with the connection as it kept dropping.

A lot of it is to do with the cheap components that are used these days to cut costs. So you end up with things like the capacitor problem on PC motherboards.

I really hope CBM hardware continues to last as it's starting to get old. I'm dreading getting the A1200 out and firing it up again, mind you it is an Escom jobbie so it's not as old as some.
Old 18 April 2006, 13:06   #12
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

I've got a gool ol' C= amde A1200....... still working, despite my best attempts to poke it with new HD's and junk
Old 18 April 2006, 13:34   #13
Galaxy

The floppy drives used in 1200s certainly seem to have been of lower quality than the ones used in other amigas. I've had several drives that have reached their end of life and they have all been 1200 ones, despite the fact that my A600 got hammered as much as the 1200 (as did our 500)
Old 18 April 2006, 14:17   #14
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
My Amiga 500 was bought new in 1989 and I'm using it to type this post. The only thing that has ever gone wrong is a broken floppy eject button.

About 9 years ago I worked in a computer factory doing "repairs" (actually testing & replacing parts) and I got to see the crap quality of the parts. It was unbelievable how defective everything was. After testing and finding a bad drive, I would get a new one, find out that it was defective too, get a new one - another defect! In many cases, new computers had multiple failures. It's hard to isolate a problem when there's a bad motherboard, bad harddrive, bad ports and a screwed up Windows image. (and this is on a brand new computer!) I pitied the people who bought the computers and I vowed never to buy a PC.
Old 18 April 2006, 14:26   #15
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Everybody can own an Amiga that's still alive and well after all those years.. but I still have my Commodore 1081 monitor which I had bought on 1987! Can you beat that?
If that monitor ever dies, I think I will have a little ceremony.
Old 18 April 2006, 15:55   #16
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

My CUB monitor I use with my BBC and some of my editing equipment must well be over 20 years old by now and still going strong, the picture on it is excellent!
Old 18 April 2006, 18:58   #17
scifi
Resurrected...

Arrow Owner of a brand new Amiga 500...

My first A500 was bought in 1987, during Christmas season...
Unfortunately, the computer was faulty from the beggining. After a few hours (2h) trying to get acquainted with Workbench and Amiga Extras suddenly the monitor turns to red.

Everything I've tried ended to nothing. I was hopeless because the shops had closed for Christmas and I was the only (perhaps..) boy in Athens with such an incredible machine in my grasp and I couldn't get it to work.

When I got it back to MEMOX (the exclusive dealer in Greece) they said that they will replace it with a new one, because they don't know what had happened! They had never encountered a similar problem before!

After the replacement, the new floppy was a bit more rough when was working but the same unit with the same monitor lasts till now, 19 years later
Old 18 April 2006, 19:31   #18
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

@scifi:

That was probably one colour connection going off on the cable or a loose solder joint.

I have had tons of Amigas going thru my hands for repair and also about equally as many Commodore C64.
So, comparing these two, the Amiga (mostly A-500) electronically is much more durable than the C64. Many C64 die with a black screen syndrom, but almost no A-500 die like that ! I have seen A-500 boards which were spilt over with Coca Cola or similar, or have been lying in some moisty area for years, everything rusted and deteriorated, but...the board was still working !!!
But as good as the A-500 electronics are, as bad are the drives From 10 A-500 I see about half of them have a dirty, misalingned or simply electronically dead drive !

So, comparing the C64 and A-500, the A-500 is definitely the better ( = more durable) designed machine.

On the other hand, I still have a Pentium 200MMX board running since '97, every day for several hours, and it still works fine So, modern electronics ( at least those from '97) seem to last for long as well
Old 18 April 2006, 19:44   #19
scifi
Resurrected...

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdoc
@scifi:

That was probably one colour connection going off on the cable or a loose solder joint.
Well, I don't think that there was a problem with the cable because they used their own leads to connect it! I don't know if the broblem was on the connection port on the main unit, though... These machines were pretty new for them (the technicians I mean) and they didn't want to spent so much time on them to crack their heads to fix them!
Old 18 April 2006, 23:48   #20
Bloodwych

Wow, quite a few issues in this thread!

I've been quite lucky really - never had many electronic device failures. In fact, the only ones I can think that gave me issues were old VCRs when they started chewing up tapes.

None of my Amigas have ever shown any issues - and my floppy collection believe it or not still seems to work fine! All my old PCs and consoles still work also, tested them last week. Even my Grandstand electronic scramble game fires up like a good un!

Must have a good stable electricity supply or something!