English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 January 2010, 09:06   #1
Cammy

Thumbs up Voting time for the Amiga Games Making Competition

Hi everyone. It's finally time to vote for the First Festive Amiga Games Making Competition entries. I have set up a web page with each of the entries which were completed within the contest deadline. Please download and play each game before rating it between one and five stars. The games that receive the highest ratings will win.

If someone running an Amiga emulator would like to take some better quality screenshots of the title screen and gameplay for any of these games to replace the ones on this page, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you to all those who took the time to enter the contest, and to those who missed out on the deadline but still gave it a go anyway. We would love to help you all finish making your games so they can be released on our upcoming Christmas games CD.

Thanks to everyone for playing and voting!

VOTE HERE !!!

Last edited by Cammy; 25 February 2010 at 21:09.
Old 02 January 2010, 11:54   #2
Cammy

Remember, if you can't play one of the games for any reason, let us know here on the forum so we can help you get them all working!
Old 02 January 2010, 14:22   #3
Anemos
70X7

i vote for X-Mas Syman
i like that statics graphics ,the music, and because is had made from a friend..
Old 02 January 2010, 14:39   #4
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
In my humble opinion, this is a very disappointing way of figuring out who the winner is. People will just ask all their friends to vote for their game. A committee of a few (4-5) respected EAB members would be a much more logical solution.
Old 02 January 2010, 14:39   #5
Cammy

If you really like a game, maybe it deserves 5/5 stars! You can give each game a rating out of 5 stars on the voting page here - http://amigachristmastree.condor.ser...mpetition.html
Old 02 January 2010, 14:43   #6
Cammy

Hi alkis, I'm sorry but I couldn't come up with a better way of doing it all by myself. I hope that people can be honest with their ratings, and not cheat by asking all their friends to vote unfairly without playing the games.
Old 02 January 2010, 14:50   #7
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I do not question your good intentions of course, but this page will simply not work in my opinion. For instance, I just hit refresh to see if the votes changed and apparently I'm able to vote again (I didn't); this system is begging to be abused. It's too bad because although I entered the competition just for the fun of creating an Amiga game, I would like to find out how it ranks among the rest of them.

My opinion is that it's not too late for the committee idea.
Old 02 January 2010, 14:57   #8
Cammy

The system is supposed to prevent multiple votes from the same user, and shouldn't register when you vote a second time after you refresh the page. If there's a bug in it, I guess there's nothing I can do except find another rate hosting site.

As for the idea of a committee or board of judges, I wouldn't know who to ask. To be fair it would have to only be people not involved in the competition. Maybe for the next competition someone else might want to help out with organising these sorts of things, but it has been a little tough running the whole show by myself. I guess I felt it was fairer to let everyone vote for each of the games, because there are hundreds of people from around the world that can participate in the rating process then.
Old 02 January 2010, 15:19   #9
skateblind
Village Idiot

I think you have done a great job cammy. The voting is as fair as it can be, since only one vote is taken. Some people will vote for friends, but that is just the way voting happens I am afraid, even in high politics you will see that happen.
Old 02 January 2010, 19:29   #10
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
If someone running an Amiga emulator would like to take some better quality screenshots of the title screen and gameplay for any of these games to replace the ones on this page, I'd really appreciate it.
There go title screens for Xmas Disaster and Santa Montana. I think they are the only missing ones, as Sam & Max and Dwarves do not a have a title screen and the rest are already there. If any other is needed just drop a post here!

I think Santa Montana is the rigt screen, as I can only see it after being defeated (this title screen appears corrupted in all my Amigas, real or emulated, on loading the game but displays fine later on)

ECS and AGA versions of Glass Ball Factory only will load in my setups booting from 3.9. Under WB 3.1 they will freeze, so I guess they use some 3.9 library. Other than that the game works OK (and is a lot of fun in hard level!)

Old 02 January 2010, 19:55   #11
Kitty

umm if you refresh the page you can vote more than once, kinda defeating the object of voting, why not just make a poll on EAB?
Old 02 January 2010, 20:42   #12
Cammy

It appears as if you can vote again, but the vote isn't counted, it will still show the same amount of total votes as it did when you first clicked it. I have made sure that you can't vote twice, so no one needs to worry about cheating.
Old 02 January 2010, 21:06   #13
Cammy

rockersuke, thanks for those screenshots and info. I'm going to get to work on adding them to the site as soon as I can.

The contest winner isn't the one with the most amount of votes, but the highest average rating. At the moment the ratings are:

1. X-Mas Syman - 3.58
2. X-Mas Disaster 2999 - 3.02
3. Cornelius Saves Christmas - 2.93
4. Dwarves in the Iceland - 2.39
5. X-Mas Glass Ball Factory - 2.33
6. Sam & Max - 2.22
7. Santa Montana - 2.2

Good luck to everyone, it looks like it's going to be a close competition!
Old 03 January 2010, 00:54   #14
mihcael
Zone Friend

I cannot vote or see anything on the page the repesents voting?? Tries on FF and also OWB/AROS??
Old 03 January 2010, 04:36   #15
Cammy

Hi Mihcael, I'm not sure why the star rating system isn't working for you, I have tried it in OWB on Aros and Opera and Firefox in Linux and it works for me. The stars don't show up in IBrowse unfortunately. The rating system is just a little image of some stars, and you click between one or five stars to rate it, similar to YouTube's rating system.

Perhaps the rating server was overloaded when you loaded the page earlier, or perhaps it's blocked, I'm not sure. I'm sorry I can't be much help
Old 03 January 2010, 05:48   #16
skateblind
Village Idiot

The stars did disappear for a short while apparently, but they are back now, apparently.
Old 03 January 2010, 07:36   #17
mihcael
Zone Friend

Yes, i see them now!
Old 07 January 2010, 11:53   #18
Cammy

Hey everyone! There's still time to download and play, then rate the games for the contest so we can find our winners. Then we can get to work on our Christmas compilation CD and get the rest of the games finished.

We're also working on plans for our next contest, which we'd like to start in the beginning of February. We have a great theme to work with which we hope you'll like a lot, and with any luck and a little effort we'll get even more games to play
Old 09 January 2010, 02:17   #19
Cammy

Hey, I just thought I'd post the current rankings. There's not much time left to vote for the winners, so don't delay, download the games and give them your critical rating!

Here are the current results:

1. X-Mas Disaster 2999 - 3.24
2. X-Mas Syman - 3.13
3. Cornelius Saves Christmas - 2.88
4. Dwarves in the Iceland - 2.43
5. Santa Montana - 2.22
6. Sam & Max - 2.18
7. X-Mas Glass Ball Factory - 2.1

Old 13 January 2010, 00:31   #20
Graham Humphrey

Just giving all these games a whirl (somewhat belatedly) and intending to vote but I'm having a couple of problems with them.

Sam & Max loads for ages but only gives me a "Screen not opened" error and quits out. Not sure if it's a screenmode thing as I have both PAL and NTSC installed in Devs/Monitors.

Also Santa Montana's graphics appear totally corrupted. Whether from WB or I boot without startup-sequence. Wonder if it's not really 040 compatible?