English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 25 January 2009, 19:07   #1
MEGALOMANIAC

Dragons Lair working?

Hi,

I have gotten the Amiga bug recently after finally completing Rocket Ranger, a game I couldn't complete on my A500. The Savestates in WinUAE are a lifesaver

I was trying to play Dragon's Lair for old times sake. I have the ACU version which apparently gives normal or unlimited lives. The problem is I can't get past the openining screen. It comes on an 8 disk package. I have the 1st disk set to df0 and the second disk to df1. It just keeps cycling to the select screen for normal or infinite lives whether I choose f1, f2 or f3 for the various options (normal game, inifinite lives, show movie).

I suspect the problem is with disk swapping if this crack actually works. I manually eject disk 1 from df0 and insert disk 2 there but then I get the amiga screen requesting a disk. I try to have it select my kickstart disk (KS ROM v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 34.5 (256k) [315093-02]) in place of disk 1 and it doesn't seem to recognize it and is still looking for a disk with the starting dos or rom as best I can tell. I use the diskswapper feature of winuae to line up all 8 disks but this doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone get this game to work? I have 3 different versions of disk1 which all seem to be the same crack/disk except for slightly different titles (one has [a] at end and another says [h leaders inc]. It doesn't seem to matter which I enter in df0 or if I put one in df0 and another in df1. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

MEGA

Old 25 January 2009, 19:29   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi MEGALOMANIAC and welcome to EAB

You use the 'Dragon's Lair (1987)(Readysoft)[cr ACU][t +2 ACU](Disk 1 of 8).adf' and the following disks, right? I just selected the A500 most common quickstart config (OCS, 512KB Chip & Slow RAM) and it loads up fine. Which WinUAE version do you use? Maybe you should try it with 1.5.3 (if you're not already using it) or even the latest beta from this thread : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=40738&page=4
Old 25 January 2009, 19:44   #3
MEGALOMANIAC

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am using winaue 1.5.2 which works with all the other amiga games so far. I was using the default a500 quickstart which is the 1.3 ocs 512 chip and slow ram and then went to the 1.2 version of it but got the same results. When you say following disks, you mean you put disk 2 in df1: and it automatically reads it when you pick the f1 or f2 or f3 key? You are able to get past the load screen and start the game? I will upgrade to the 1.5.3 version but I suspect I have the disk swapping or loading wrong somehow

Old 25 January 2009, 19:54   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yes I can start the game (even if I'm not able to survive the first screen ). I have done nothing else than select the quickstart config, put the first two disks in DF0 and DF1 and start it. So after you press one of the 'F' keys it gets to the selection again? I would really recommend you try it with 1.5.3, because it's hard to see if the problem is maybe related to an older version. If you want to I could upload my disks for you
Old 26 January 2009, 02:13   #5
MEGALOMANIAC

Hi,

I downloaded 1.5.3 and get the same problem. It keeps cycling back to the press f1 for normal, f2 for infinite lives and f3 for movie comes back. Initially an orange outlined box with a mssg from the crack crew comes up mentioning who they are and that after disk 8 there will be no prompt but it wants disk 6. I click the mouse and it goes back to the opening screen with f1,f2,f3. I would appreciate if you could upload disk 1 and two so I could try again. I have 3 different downloads of disk 1 but they all do the same thing

Thanks again

MEGA

Old 26 January 2009, 02:20   #6
Slayer
Amiga Member

Just install Escape from Singes Castle and then Install Dragons Lair and play both at once from a HD. I used to have an archive of it already installed but somehow that got lost over time. Makes for quite a long game for sure. I used to turn off the mirrored room option though to make the game quicker as well as less repeatitive.

Yes, I know you need the originals or at least of Dragons Lair, just giving options
Old 26 January 2009, 07:04   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I've unploaded my first two disks to the Zone. Have a look here how to access it : http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=vb_...ezone_faq_item
Somehow I doubt that they will help, because you already have three versions. When you try it next time also make sure that the slider for compatibility is set to 'Best compatibility' on the quickstart window.
Old 26 January 2009, 14:41   #8
MEGALOMANIAC

Solved

Hi guys,

Changing over to best compatibility did the job. It seemed to default to one slider over to the right. I didn't notice this slider before. When I played Firepower, I noticed it was too fast, the tanks whipped around the field so I was able to slow it down by idling the chip halfway under cpu/fpu settings.

Many thanks CyberDruid and Slayer

MEGA

Old 26 January 2009, 15:19   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

You're welcome and good to hear it works now
Old 28 January 2009, 12:43   #10
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

Hi! I tried to do this for ages. I have an original DL but one disk is corrupterd so the install freezes at a point .

It would be nice for me to have it installed on my A600HD '030 because the EFSC runs with any CPU!

Would you be so nice to ZIP your whole amiga installed folder for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Just install Escape from Singes Castle and then Install Dragons Lair and play both at once from a HD. I used to have an archive of it already installed but somehow that got lost over time. Makes for quite a long game for sure. I used to turn off the mirrored room option though to make the game quicker as well as less repeatitive.
Yes, I know you need the originals or at least of Dragons Lair, just giving options