English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 March 2019, 13:44   #61
dmacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
Maybe my post above was too much based on assumption, however I have no reason to doubt Jens' own words. And who knows, maybe the new owner will develop the Reloaded 1200.

On the other hand, it is true that this seems to have been pulled from a private conversation, possibly without consent from the author. Therefore, at least up until an official announcement, this is indeed all speculation.
Old 07 March 2019, 13:48   #62
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
Maybe my post above was too much based on assumption, however I have no reason to doubt Jens' own words. And who knows, maybe the new owner will develop the Reloaded 1200.
My doubt is purely whether or not these are Jens' own words.

As is, I just don't know.

All I know is that the Dutch forum post was started by someone who obviously has a negative view of Individual Computers (whether deserved or not) and that I can't find this image or any comments about it anywhere else.

It wouldn't be the first time someone faked quotes in Amiga land, but then again, businesses stopping with the Amiga isn't exactly uncommon either. On the other hand, as recently as February Jens was still posting about new stuff he was going to do over on the icomp.de support forums and he was talking up the idea of a 68040/68060 accelerator back in December IIRC.

So I'm being cautious. And as such I won't accept the picture as 'true' unless more info starts to crop up.
Old 07 March 2019, 13:52   #63
ShK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
@ferrellsl - I went to Vampire web page, clicked Instructions. There was no AMMX documentation there, several instructions shows 404 error as a description or link to wrong documents. I see no link to SAGA register description there. I'm really not going to dig through forums for hours in an attempt to find some documentation which might be actual or not
Yes agree, docs should be a better available: http://www.apollo-core.com/AMMX.doc.txt
Old 07 March 2019, 13:54   #64
grond

I don't see how Cloanto could be a problem for icomp but I probably lack a deeper understanding of the arrangements Hyperion and icomp have made. I would assume that there is more money to be made in the C=64 market because there are now quite a few new options for 68k accelerators and peripherals. Also there is now a cheap source of A1200 connectors available which used to be a solid foundation for an almost-monopoly in this market.

If the statement is true at all, I also wonder whether sourcing of legit 040s and 060s for the rumoured ACA1260 has turned out to be a high economic risk.
Old 07 March 2019, 14:00   #65
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacon View Post
So you already know which kind of memory type is being used on Amiga Reloaded, how it is connected to the system bus, and how the RTG solution has been implemented?
No, but I believe to know which component will control access to this chipmem: the NOS Amiga custom chips. I can't see how they could be made to support much higher bandwidths than what an original Amiga PCB will offer. Do you think some kind of a chip controller bypass turning what essentially was fastmem into functional chipmem would be possible? I would consider that difficult to make work.
Old 07 March 2019, 14:11   #66
E-Penguin
Banana

It'd be a shame if iComp do pull out of the Amiga market - they're probably the nearest thing left to a large scale hardware manufacturer for Amiga stuff.
Old 07 March 2019, 14:13   #67
dmacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Do you think some kind of a chip controller bypass turning what essentially was fastmem into functional chipmem would be possible? I would consider that difficult to make work.

I suppose the most "straightforward" way would be to replace Budgie and Gayle with a CPLD or FPGA, containing a new arbiter which supports a faster & more flexible scheme of interleaving of CPU and Chip accesses.

Something similar was already done by Commodore with the Amiga 3000 (which is the first Amiga to have true 32-bit Chip-Ram, despite all custom chips still being 16-bit).

Last edited by dmacon; 07 March 2019 at 20:23.
Old 07 March 2019, 14:22   #68
Marle
Pixel Vixen

If true, that is very sad. At least I've now pulled the trigger on buying the ACA 500 Plus, which I've been hanging out for a 'good day to do so' for some months now.
Old 07 March 2019, 14:30   #69
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Gentlemen,

I posted it.. and it was on Amiga.Cafe

Feel free to use the Google Translator in the assumption that the words are not being twisted in a negative way or incorrectly interpreted as there never was or has been any form of animosity of any kind. The mail is also not fake. We received it obviously, so feel free to contact Jens as he is clearly looking for someone to buy up his stock and probably his designs too. I hope someone will do so and carry on the flag.

Thank you!

--edit--

Also, I would refrain from pointing towards Cloanto as those are just wild speculations in itself. I can share with you what my thoughts are, but again those would be speculative as well. Rather than pointing at Cloanto, I'd suspect that the growth in hardware producers for the 500/600/1200 market is cutting into his business severely so that was my first thought.. again.. speculative.. non-confirmed.. just my thoughts.
Old 07 March 2019, 14:35   #70
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Gentlemen,

I posted it.. and it was on Amiga.Cafe

Feel free to use the Google Translator in the assumption that the words are not being twisted in a negative way or incorrectly interpreted as there never was or has been any form of animosity of any kind. The mail is also not fake. We received it obviously, so feel free to contact Jens as he is clearly looking for someone to buy up his stock and probably his designs too. I hope someone will do so and carry on the flag.

Thank you!
You may not have meant it negatively, but it (IMHO) does read rather negatively. You really didn't need to put any of that 'everyone else does hardware better than Jens' stuff in to get your point across.

I could offer a translation if people are interested.
Old 07 March 2019, 14:36   #71
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
All I know is that the Dutch forum post was started by someone who obviously has a negative view of Individual Computers
See my above comment.. so no!
Old 07 March 2019, 14:39   #72
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Quote:
You may not have meant it negatively, but it (IMHO) does read rather negatively. You really didn't need to put any of that 'everyone else does hardware better than Jens' stuff in to get your point across.

I could offer a translation if people are interested.
You just like to see things burn.. don't you?

Not everyone does things better, I stated that many produce things, SOME do it better.. nothing wrong with that statement.
Old 07 March 2019, 14:40   #73
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Anyhow.. if any of you are connected and feel they can step in his shoes.. which is clearly not an easy task, then please do reach out to him and try to keep it going.
Old 07 March 2019, 15:04   #74
RetroPassionUK
RetroPassion

If there is any doubt, ask Jens himself :-)
Old 07 March 2019, 15:06   #75
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaPassion View Post
If there is any doubt, ask Jens himself :-)
True, but be sensible please. I can imagine it was a decision not easily made.
Old 07 March 2019, 15:08   #76
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
You just like to see things burn.. don't you?
Nope. I'm pointing out how I felt the contents of your post read. It may be you didn't intend it to be negative, but that doesn't change I felt it was.

I'll try to explain why I felt this. Note that I do not mean this to be personal, but I still feel my reading is at least understandable.

Quote:
Not everyone does things better, I stated that many produce things, SOME do it better.. nothing wrong with that statement.
If that was all that you said, then yes - I really shouldn't have wrote that I felt you were negative.

However, you also implied that he doesn't take problems very seriously and tends to tell users it's tough luck when things break "wanneer er iets van Jens stuk gaat, immers weten velen uit ervaring dat hij het vaak afdoet als eigen risico en jammer voor jou dan" ==> "when something of Jens breaks, many will know from personal experience that he tends to claim it's your personal risk and tough luck for you", even though this is not something I've personally ever heard about on any forum.

You also wrote how the 64 ultimate was "10x better than the C64 reloaded" even though they rather obviously are aimed at different users and use cases and thus IMHO can't really be compared.

Lastly, you implied that Jens wanted to make the Amiga reloaded, but the community showed him how it's done "Jens wil een Amiga reloaded maken, de community doet het hem wel even voor". Even though no community project exists that actually offers the same kind of thing (including obviously that you'd get the reloaded assembled complete with chips). There are one or two that kinda come close, but they clearly are not at the same level as what the Amiga reloaded was slated to become (even though they are rather cool).

Now, I admit it this is all based on interpretation, but to me that reads rather negatively and it also doesn't seem to be completely factual.

With that said: if you didn't mean it to be negative, I do apologize for claiming it was, but I hope you now understand why I felt that way.
Old 07 March 2019, 15:24   #77
E-Penguin
Banana

Anyway...

It looks like this is due to the P96 thing.
https://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2019-02-00027-EN.html
Old 07 March 2019, 15:43   #78
grond

OK, no I do understand the Cloanto reference Vetter now but if Jens decided to just accept reality, there would be no further reason to leave the Amiga market. This still seems to be a rather emotional reaction (always assuming it is true).
Old 07 March 2019, 15:45   #79
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Quote:
Nope. I'm pointing out how I felt the contents of your post read. It may be you didn't intend it to be negative, but that doesn't change I felt it was.

I'll try to explain why I felt this. Note that I do not mean this to be personal, but I still feel my reading is at least understandable.

If that was all that you said, then yes - I really shouldn't have wrote that I felt you were negative.

However, you also implied that he doesn't take problems very seriously and tends to tell users it's tough luck when things break "wanneer er iets van Jens stuk gaat, immers weten velen uit ervaring dat hij het vaak afdoet als eigen risico en jammer voor jou dan" ==> "when something of Jens breaks, many will know from personal experience that he tends to claim it's your personal risk and tough luck for you", even though this is not something I've personally ever heard about on any forum.

You also wrote how the 64 ultimate was "10x better than the C64 reloaded" even though they rather obviously are aimed at different users and use cases and thus IMHO can't really be compared.

Lastly, you implied that Jens wanted to make the Amiga reloaded, but the community showed him how it's done "Jens wil een Amiga reloaded maken, de community doet het hem wel even voor". Even though no community project exists that actually offers the same kind of thing (including obviously that you'd get the reloaded assembled complete with chips). There are one or two that kinda come close, but they clearly are not at the same level as what the Amiga reloaded was slated to become (even though they are rather cool).

Now, I admit it this is all based on interpretation, but to me that reads rather negatively and it also doesn't seem to be completely factual.

With that said: if you didn't mean it to be negative, I do apologize for claiming it was, but I hope you now understand why I felt that way.
If your translations would have been right.. which they are not.. then you would have had a point.

Warranty
We all know the reports of people claiming warranty and Jens not granting it. We all know someone affected. Even a friend of mine had this and I took it up for him since I am also fluent in German.

Was I negative? - No, I stated a fact that this happens and I stick to that.

64 Reloaded versus Ultimate64
Please see what I wrote. I stated that it is perceived as being better. I never said that it actually is better. I can not judge it as I have not used it. I can compare the specs but that is about it. Please do not put words in my mouth.

Amiga Reloaded
Yes.. the community started making the Ami (4000) the Re-Amiga (1200) and even a new 500 is on the roll... but... that is true... right? He mentioned it in 2015 during Amiga 30th which I co-organised.. and he said he was working on.. that never happened.. the community showed him clearly they wanted it and they made it.. awesome.. he missed the window of opportunity there. What is negative? Nothing, just a fact.

So... again... this is not about hurting him.. or his business.. this bickering here is not helping, so if you DO KNOW someone who can help then by all means.. otherwise.. let's move on please.
Old 07 March 2019, 15:54   #80
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
OK, no I do understand the Cloanto reference Vetter now but if Jens decided to just accept reality, there would be no further reason to leave the Amiga market. This still seems to be a rather emotional reaction (always assuming it is true).
Yes, it was not Cloanto claiming money of Jens.. I guess this whole thing is indeed emotion fueled and maybe.. pulled out of context a bit