English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 16 October 2012, 16:37   #1
kipper2k

Amiga parallel joy port schematic

Hi All, i thought i'd share this with everyone, i just found the pinouts on the amigaportugal forum so i thought i'd make an eagle brd file for it.

Here it is...

Here is the eagle brd file... (file is zipped). Please verify i have it right before committing to making it. I am not at home so i can't see an Amiga in front of me.

Last edited by kipper2k; 16 October 2012 at 16:46.
Old 26 October 2012, 08:05   #2
hyami

I've heard of adapters like this before, but I was just wondering... What's the use of this. When I was playing games a lot, I haven't come across 4 player games (or not that I was aware of). Have I missed something? Or is this a way to override the regular joystick ports (but with extra options)?

Old 26 October 2012, 08:11   #3
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyami View Post
I've heard of adapters like this before, but I was just wondering... What's the use of this. When I was playing games a lot, I haven't come across 4 player games (or not that I was aware of). Have I missed something? Or is this a way to override the regular joystick ports (but with extra options)?
http://aminet.net/package/docs/misc/FourPlayerGames_EN
Old 26 October 2012, 11:15   #4
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyami View Post
Have I missed something?
In answer to your question, YES BIG TIME !!!

You can have upto 5 players on some games

The best ones I've played are Pro tennis tour 2, Projectile, Super Skid marks, Gauntlet 2 and Dynablaster

Does anyone remember on Gamesmaster when they actually used an Amiga for a feature? (All of TakeThat playing Dyna Blaster)

Now all you need is soldering iron and 4 working joysticks (which is highly unlikely to have 4 working at the same time)

How to build a 4 player adaptor is also on the link Moijk highlighted.
Old 26 October 2012, 20:18   #5
Cammy

Hi Kipper, I think it would be really cool if you made this using two 25 pin sockets, and either removed or bent in the middle pins of one of them so two 9 pin joysticks can be plugged in. I have experimented with this myself and it makes a very neat adapter because it can fit inside a cheap plastic clamshell case and costs less to make since it only has two sockets instead of three.

I think there may even be one spare pin that can be used on the parallel port for a second fire button on the third player joystick, although no existing software supports it yet, if you connected this pin anyway it would give us programmers an opportunity to use it in our new games. I looked into this years ago, but I have lost my text files explaining it.
Old 27 October 2012, 15:42   #6
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Hi Kipper, I think it would be really cool if you made this using two 25 pin sockets, and either removed or bent in the middle pins of one of them so two 9 pin joysticks can be plugged in. I have experimented with this myself and it makes a very neat adapter because it can fit inside a cheap plastic clamshell case and costs less to make since it only has two sockets instead of three.

I think there may even be one spare pin that can be used on the parallel port for a second fire button on the third player joystick, although no existing software supports it yet, if you connected this pin anyway it would give us programmers an opportunity to use it in our new games. I looked into this years ago, but I have lost my text files explaining it.
Hi Cammy,
That could work, but that setup would alienate any joystick which has wings so you would either need an old 9 pin joystick or a short adapter cable. Trying to use 2 of the PSX adapters for example would not be possible. I can always create another schematic that would cater to your suggestion. Once i get home i can take a look at what hoods are available to enclose the board and then redesign it to fit like in your picture. I could also put vias from each pin so people could actually run their own jumpers if they wanted to create their own configurations

Last edited by kipper2k; 27 October 2012 at 16:22.