English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 13 March 2010, 21:55   #1
bluecarrot92

Amiga Explorer Installation problem

I've got my old 1200 connected to my PC (XP) with a Belkin Serial cable that was recommended by the AmigaForever guys. I followed their instructions to the point where I open a shell on the amiga to type: TYPE SER : to RAM:Setup. I get this: TYPE can't open SER Object not found.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Step by step would be best as I have no idea what I'm doing. I just want to access and transfer some of my amiga files to my PC. Thanks.
Old 13 March 2010, 22:45   #2
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarrot92 View Post
I've got my old 1200 connected to my PC (XP) with a Belkin Serial cable that was recommended by the AmigaForever guys. I followed their instructions to the point where I open a shell on the amiga to type: TYPE SER : to RAM:Setup. I get this: TYPE can't open SER Object not found.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Step by step would be best as I have no idea what I'm doing. I just want to access and transfer some of my amiga files to my PC. Thanks.
okay the only obvious thing I can see right now, if what you typed, is EXACTLY copied in to this message.

TYPE SER : to RAM:Setup

should be

TYPE SER: to RAM:Setup

That is why TYPE is complaining about it cannot find the device SER, it should be SER: (Note the space inbetween SER and : ) ?

There is no such device as SER, except SER: does exist.

type in the command 'MOUNT' (Without the ') and it should list all mounted devices and see if 'SER:' exists.
Old 14 March 2010, 00:39   #3
bluecarrot92

Brilliant. Stupid typo. Very kind advice. Thanks. Things went smoothly after that for a bit. The connection seemed to be working, files were copied and I had to type in another command into the shell on the Amiga. After that some more files started to copy over I think, but I noticed that all of a sudden the Amiga screen went black and shortly afterwards on my PC I got this: Error writing to COM port. Make sure... check connection etc.
I wonder if that might be just my old Amiga acting up, unrelated to what I'm doing or if it's due to some other mistake I might have made. It seems that the cable and the connection should be fine, since it was working for a while?
Old 14 March 2010, 00:46   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi bluecarrot92,

I'm guessing you don't have a hard disk in your A1200.

If you do have a hard disk, it is best to prepare a boot disk which automatically sets your Amiga up as a server, and you get complete GUI control over the situation via an Explorer Window on your PC.
Old 14 March 2010, 04:43   #5
bluecarrot92

Partial Success. Amiga Explorer Setup tells me: Congratulations! Amiga Explorer has been successfully copied to the "Ram Disc" volume of your Amiga. ... Double-click " AExplorer" to start ... the software.

Only when I do that I get this Error message:
Error writing to COM port. Please make sure that Amiga Explorer 2.1 or higher is running on the Amiga, That both sides are configured properly, that the Amiga is connected to port COM1 on this machine (otherwise, modify the the Amiga Explorer COM port setting),...

I have no idea how to do this. I have not touched my Amiga in 10 years and barely remember how to use the programs I was once familiar with. I'll try to see how far I get on the Amiga side, it would be great if anybody had any idiotproof tips on how I can proceed. Thanks.

Last edited by bluecarrot92; 14 March 2010 at 04:53.
Old 14 March 2010, 06:24   #6
bluecarrot92

OK. Problem solved.

Double-click the RAM disk icon on the Amiga.
Double-click the Amiga Explorer icon to start Amiga Explorer. (Double-click again to stop it)

Double-click the Amiga Explorer icon on the PC.
Presto. Awesome. I can transfer files.

Thanks again everybody.
Old 15 March 2010, 01:14   #7
bluecarrot92

Restarting the Amiga on the next day I don't find the Amiga Explorer icon on the Ram disc. I just recopied the files without problems and it works again, but this can't be the proper way to work with Amiga Explorer. What did I do wrong?
Old 15 March 2010, 01:26   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

The RAM disk is a virtual disk in RAM, so when you shut down your Amiga the contents are lost.

Before you shut down your Amiga, or before you double-click the Amiga Explorer icon on the RAM disk, copy it to your boot floppy if there's room, then you can run it from the boot disk the next time you need it.

Make a copy of your boot disk and copy the Amiga Explorer application to that instead. Then, not only will you preserve your original boot floppy, but if there's not enough free space on the disk for it, you can delete some unwanted files first.