English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 July 2020, 20:19   #1
amigatime

A600 Arcade-Style Joysticks

I'm after an arcade-style joystick for my A600, and I'm not sure what to get. So far, I've found the following:

Arcade Evolution: Amigakit, £66.82 with A600 adapter & shipping
Deluxe Mini Monster Retro Kit: Monster Joysticks, £58.99 with shipping, unsure if adapter needed
Deluxe BASIC Mini Monster Retro Kit: Monster Joysticks, £37.49 with shipping, unsure if adapter needed

If you guys know of similar products for the same or cheaper, I'd be interested to hear about them.

With the three I've mentioned, the Arcade Evolution is the most expensive, but it's already assembled and looks the most comfortable as it's curved. The two Mini Monster joysticks are delivered as a kit (no soldering required) and get really good reviews, but the edges look a bit uncomfortable. The BASIC version has cheaper components and costs less as a result. The regular version uses Sanwa parts.
Old 04 July 2020, 00:39   #2
nikosidis

Maybe I have not read enough but I do not see what buttons, joystick are included with the Arcade Evolution?
Deluxe Mini Monster got a very nice joystick, Sanwa Denshi Co. JLF-TP-8YT. The buttons are good but very light, Sanwa Denshi Co. OBSF-30 . Not typical mechanical buttons on most Amiga joysticks. They are still good quality but not my favorite.
The basic version is probably ok and parts are of ok quality I would say.
They all seam a little light with all plastic. Arcade Evolution looks more well made it seams. That curved lower, plastic part will be nice to rest your hand.
Old 05 July 2020, 13:08   #3
amigatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
Maybe I have not read enough but I do not see what buttons, joystick are included with the Arcade Evolution?
Deluxe Mini Monster got a very nice joystick, Sanwa Denshi Co. JLF-TP-8YT. The buttons are good but very light, Sanwa Denshi Co. OBSF-30 . Not typical mechanical buttons on most Amiga joysticks. They are still good quality but not my favorite.
The basic version is probably ok and parts are of ok quality I would say.
They all seam a little light with all plastic. Arcade Evolution looks more well made it seams. That curved lower, plastic part will be nice to rest your hand.
Yeah, I'm not sure which parts they use in the Arcade Evolution.

I'm concerned that the Mini Monsters would be uncomfortable to hold due to the edges.

Which buttons are your favourite? Do you prefer to build your own joystick?
Old 05 July 2020, 18:54   #4
nikosidis

Amigatime: I have a couple of Hori arcade controllers. I know Hori make their own buttons and I like them more than Sanwa. I also like the buttons on the original competition pro. They are big and mechanical type. Yes, I build my own controllers. When I build Amiga controllers I always make a button connected to joystick, up so I have a jump button. I make 3 button joysticks for Amiga.
It is quite simple to make yourself. The cabinet is the most difficult part.
Old 05 July 2020, 19:22   #5
mtb

Quote:
Amigatime: I have a couple of Hori arcade controllers. I know Hori make their own buttons and I like them more than Sanwa. I also like the buttons on the original competition pro. They are big and mechanical type. Yes, I build my own controllers. When I build Amiga controllers I always make a button connected to joystick, up so I have a jump button. I make 3 button joysticks for Amiga.
Cool could you please write how to connect the three buttons? I plan to build one for me with laser cut wood, with standard arcade controls. I have 0.4 and 0.5mm wood svg i've made for arcade usb controllers if someone wants them, i have to shrink them a bit for the amiga

The up-2nd button (i think) switch sound a great idea. Autofire-rapid fire also?

Thank you in advance.
Old 05 July 2020, 20:04   #6
nikosidis

Look here:
https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-bluetooth-pcb

You must check out Crown buttons. That is a great brand!!
Old 06 July 2020, 00:41   #7
amigatime

Quote:
Yes, I wish I had a 3D printer!

Anyway, I went for the Deluxe BASIC Mini Monster Retro Kit. I found a video review and it seemed pretty decent. I can always upgrade the components later if I wish. By the way, it has a switch that rewires 'UP' to one of the fire buttons
Old 06 July 2020, 03:58   #8
nikosidis

Amigatime: That is great Only thing is that in a game like Alladin or Turrican it is best with 2 button + jump button. I make my controllers out of wood. Sure you need some skill and the equipment.
Old 06 July 2020, 20:59   #9
spiff
Oh noes!

I think mine is bigger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2C85123-3D53-4624-A0A8-FBFDC5812027.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	68076  
Old 06 July 2020, 22:32   #10
nikosidis

Hehe Nice and big. I make them quite big too. I don't have that many buttons though. This is typical fighting game controller.