English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 February 2021, 16:48   #61
manossg

For the 50th review we have Alien Thing. This is an Atari ST exclusive, a blatant ripoff of Alien Breed, that came out quite late in the Atari ST's run. Let's see if it's any good or not.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 February 2021, 21:31   #62
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
For the 50th review we have Alien Thing. This is an Atari ST exclusive, a blatant ripoff of Alien Breed, that came out quite late in the Atari ST's run. Let's see if it's any good or not.

[ Show youtube player ]
OMG, even before seeing the video, I'm laughing at the title! "Thing" - didn't they have a thesaurus to hand to find alternative words to "breed"?

I'm reminded of Pippin from Lord of the Rings saying at the Council of Elrond: "You need people of intelligence on this sort of mission... quest... thing!"
Old 21 February 2021, 21:33   #63
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
OMG, even before seeing the video, I'm laughing at the title! "Thing" - didn't they have a thesaurus to hand to find alternative words to "breed"?

I'm reminded of Pippin from Lord of the Rings saying at the Council of Elrond: "You need people of intelligence on this sort of mission... quest... thing!"
Lol, this is some poor naming indeed!
Old 01 March 2021, 16:05   #64
manossg

This is a special review, taking a look at In Shadow of Time, an unreleased point and click adventure game by Shadow Elks. The developers have generously allowed the release of the unfinished product and this review deals with whether this is one worthy of your attention or if you should dismiss it because of its unfinished status.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 March 2021, 19:04   #65
manossg

Returning to the Amstrad CPC for another promising title, Doomsday Lost Echoes, a 2016 text adventure in a sci-fi setting. Armed with bad typing skills, we set off to see if this is another gem for the Amstrad CPC....or not.

WARNING: Mild spoilers contained in the review, as well as an extended outro to substantiate my points.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 March 2021, 17:15   #66
manossg

It is time for another stinker review and what a game we have for you this time! Miami Mice, a game that has to be seen to be believed, one that, astonishingly, was commercially released. So be prepared for some Amiga beat'em up excitement!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 March 2021, 00:18   #67
OmegaMax
Knight Of The Kingdom

If this was a PD game and the programmers first time programming a fighting game,I'd say quite good as a first attempt,but a commercial game?terrible.Thanks for the review manossg.
Old 15 March 2021, 09:56   #68
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaMax View Post
If this was a PD game and the programmers first time programming a fighting game,I'd say quite good as a first attempt,but a commercial game?terrible.Thanks for the review manossg.
Thank you for watching, mate!
I totally agree with you and I still cannot believe that this was commercially released. I had a YT comment with very interesting details about the life of the developer and his story on software development but I have yet to learn more about the nature of this release (in a compilation? Australia only?).
Old 15 March 2021, 12:07   #69
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Run all the videos at the same time, and it's like Retro Rant Game Review is having a full conversation with himself and his clones haha
Old 15 March 2021, 12:21   #70
nikosidis

This is a must see Very funny. Thanks
Old 15 March 2021, 12:29   #71
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Run all the videos at the same time, and it's like Retro Rant Game Review is having a full conversation with himself and his clones haha
Do not try this at home. Common side effects include falling/graying of hair, temporary insanity, compulsive greetings and incessant nitpicking over adventure games.

@Niko

Thanks, mate!
Old 22 March 2021, 11:27   #72
manossg

Time for yet another 8-bit adventure game, Caren and the Tangled Tentacles (Thank You edition)! This is a C64 point 'n' click title that looks very promising, but, as we have already seen in Retro Rant, looks can be deceiving and style over substance is a frequently encountered phenomenon in adventure-land. Watch this review and find out if this game is good...or not!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 March 2021, 11:27   #73
manossg

Time for one of my all-time favorite Amiga games, Brutal Sports Series Football. In this review I will explain why I love this game and I hope that you will also give it some love!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 April 2021, 18:49   #74
manossg

It is time to review a classic Amstrad CPC game, Boulder Dash, putting it to the Rant Test (TM) and determining if it is worth playing in the 21st century!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 April 2021, 11:47   #75
manossg

This review deals with a controversial point'n'click adventure game, Dreamweb, one that gets equally negative and positive marks. We will deal with all these here and determine whether this is a game worth playing...or not!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 April 2021, 15:57   #76
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I kind of liked the "small" screen of Dreamweb, the attention to detail is quite high because of it and it gives you hyperfocus as a player. There is only the room you're in and nothing else, no distractions. Come to think of it I never completed it... I should.
Old 12 April 2021, 16:03   #77
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I kind of liked the "small" screen of Dreamweb, the attention to detail is quite high because of it and it gives you hyperfocus as a player. There is only the room you're in and nothing else, no distractions. Come to think of it I never completed it... I should.
This is an interesting viewpoint, I have never thought about it that way. For me, I spent all the time focusing on the close-up screen, scanning the various pixels. o_O

You should complete it, mate, it is totally worth the ride!
Old 12 April 2021, 20:58   #78
nikosidis

Dreamweb has nice gfx and a nice atmosphere. When this came out is was something special I think.
Problem is that to me this game did not age well. I would like to compare it to music. Some music are classics and some where just good at a period of time.
Old 13 April 2021, 08:57   #79
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
Dreamweb has nice gfx and a nice atmosphere. When this came out is was something special I think.
Problem is that to me this game did not age well. I would like to compare it to music. Some music are classics and some where just good at a period of time.
It must be the nostalgia speaking, but I found the game very playable and enjoyable when revisiting it now.

Cheers, Niko, thanks for watching!
Old 20 April 2021, 11:03   #80
manossg

It is time for some speccy goodness, reviewing Castlevania: Spectral Interlude, an unofficial addition to the franchise from 2015. We shall see in this review, in typical Retro Rant fashion, if this highly praised title is any good...or not!

[ Show youtube player ]