English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 June 2021, 23:01   #381
danielktdoranie

So, quick question I have an OSSC (and the ScanPlus AGA coincidentally). My Amiga is a PAL A1200 w/ 3.1.4 ROMS and Amiga OS 3.1.4

How are you all getting all these Display Modes? When I go to ScreenMode Preferences these are the only options I get... no "DBLPAL" Display Modes...

Old 23 June 2021, 23:37   #382
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielktdoranie View Post
So, quick question I have an OSSC (and the ScanPlus AGA coincidentally). My Amiga is a PAL A1200 w/ 3.1.4 ROMS and Amiga OS 3.1.4

How are you all getting all these Display Modes? When I go to ScreenMode Preferences these are the only options I get... no "DBLPAL" Display Modes...

In your workbench dh0: you should have a drawer called "storage". Within storage there is a drawer called Monitors. In here should be a whole pile of screen modes. If you want these screen modes for selection you can move them from dh0:storage/monitors to Devs:Monitors

Let me know if this makes sense.

Once you have rebooted those choices for screen modes will be available for selection.
Old 23 June 2021, 23:58   #383
danielktdoranie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
In your workbench dh0: you should have a drawer called "storage". Within storage there is a drawer called Monitors. In here should be a whole pile of screen modes. If you want these screen modes for selection you can move them from dh0:storage/monitors to Devs:Monitors

Let me know if this makes sense.

Once you have rebooted those choices for screen modes will be available for selection.
Thanks, that was it.

However, whenever I select any of these "new" Display Modes, my monitor says "input signal out of range"...

I have a Lenovo ThinkVision monitor P27h-10, a newish monitor... However, I thought the OSSC was supposed to handle any mode you threw at it?

I bought my OSSC from videogameperfection, I thought they set them up right?

I think I am missing something LOL
Old 24 June 2021, 00:06   #384
danielktdoranie

I tried my Hannspree HE247, same thing...
Old 24 June 2021, 11:29   #385
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielktdoranie View Post
Thanks, that was it.

However, whenever I select any of these "new" Display Modes, my monitor says "input signal out of range"...

I have a Lenovo ThinkVision monitor P27h-10, a newish monitor... However, I thought the OSSC was supposed to handle any mode you threw at it?

I bought my OSSC from videogameperfection, I thought they set them up right?

I think I am missing something LOL
No you aren't missing anything, I had the same trouble. If you go back a couple of pages you will see I couldn't get a lot of things to work also and I had to just stick with Hi-Res Pal and then stretch to get it to fit my screen.

I was somewhat let down by the OSSC also. I think a good deal of it is getting a suitable monitor as well.

The Gbs 8220 fitted with GBS Control on the other hand is a lot more flexible and in my honest opinion, nearly as good a picture. If I was really honest the only thing I have noticed different with the OSSC and GBS is the GBS is slightly less sharp. I thought the OSSC would solve the kind of blurring effect I get when certain things move in some games (like main character sprite for example in the game Switchblade). But it almost seems exactly the same. OSSC has more filtering options etc but none of them get rid of the vertical bars I have faintly in the background. Lag wise there is no difference between the two. OSSC has no lag and the GBS is very low lag. I'm using the OSSC currently but I don't know how long for.
Old 24 June 2021, 12:55   #386
Lisko

@rabidgerry
You can get rid of vertical bars on ossc with a little of patience and experimentation. On my 1200 I succeeded by finding a good combination of h backporch and sampling phase. Unfortunately it's something that depends from machine to machine, cables and tv/monitors so there isn't a magic value good for everyone. It's analog territory!
Old 25 June 2021, 14:50   #387
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
@rabidgerry
You can get rid of vertical bars on ossc with a little of patience and experimentation. On my 1200 I succeeded by finding a good combination of h backporch and sampling phase. Unfortunately it's something that depends from machine to machine, cables and tv/monitors so there isn't a magic value good for everyone. It's analog territory!

I can't really start messing about with the H back porch, if I do that the screen starts to move either left or right.
Old 01 July 2021, 21:39   #388
rabidgerry

The mystery deepens!

So I made a rough build of OS 3.1.4 not long ago, and I decided to try this with the OSSC using DBLPal.

Guess what?

I was able to use DBLPal using OS 3.1.4.1 in fact I was able to use the settings @Shaytan provided and then messed about to get it to fit my screen perfectly.

So how come in ClassicWB 3.1 my DBLPal driver aint working?

One thing I noticed with ClassicWB I get a Horizonal khz of 52.9 but in OS 3.1.4 I get something lower than that, does anyone have any ideas? This must be the problem. The Dblpal is not outputting correctly using ClassicWB3.1 and it also means my monitor is fine to use with DBLPal and the ossc.
Old 01 July 2021, 23:29   #389
MrClump

So you should be able to get it pixel perfect if your still using the 640x512 monitor.
Old 01 July 2021, 23:40   #390
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClump View Post
So you should be able to get it pixel perfect if your still using the 640x512 monitor.
Well that's just it, I was able to do that, but I'm not committing to OS3.1.4, not since OS3.2 is out and I will likely keep ClassicWb3.1 as well.

It really should work.

One thing I noticed using the checkerboard pattern in OS3.1.4 it was all messed up. Indistinguishable mess of large thick blurry vertical lines. Bare in mind no scalos or anything like that on that particular build. However I did use another pattern that had some squares in it and using 640x512 screenmode they looked pretty dead on square to me!

So why can't I enjoy this mode in 3.1?

@MrClump how did you get on? Did you try my settings?
Old 02 July 2021, 09:15   #391
Shaytan

Quote:
The mystery deepens!

So I made a rough build of OS 3.1.4 not long ago, and I decided to try this with the OSSC using DBLPal.

Guess what?

I was able to use DBLPal using OS 3.1.4.1 in fact I was able to use the settings @Shaytan provided and then messed about to get it to fit my screen perfectly.

So how come in ClassicWB 3.1 my DBLPal driver aint working?

One thing I noticed with ClassicWB I get a Horizonal khz of 52.9 but in OS 3.1.4 I get something lower than that, does anyone have any ideas? This must be the problem. The Dblpal is not outputting correctly using ClassicWB3.1 and it also means my monitor is fine to use with DBLPal and the ossc.
Have you tried to copy the DblPal monitor from 3.1.4.1 to your ClassiWB3.1 Devs/Monitors drawer?

DblPAL frequencies should be 48Hz 27.5 kHz without VGAOnly and 50Hz 29.45kHz with VGAOnly
Old 02 July 2021, 10:40   #392
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaytan View Post
Have you tried to copy the DblPal monitor from 3.1.4.1 to your ClassiWB3.1 Devs/Monitors drawer?

DblPAL frequencies should be 48Hz 27.5 kHz without VGAOnly and 50Hz 29.45kHz with VGAOnly
Here in lies the problem!

I thought I originally got those drivers for DBLPal off that 3.1.4 build. I may have been wrong, I may have discovered them in DH0:Storage/monitors. I think I mentioned it on this thread, so I will go back and look.

Yes those frequencies are not the frequencies I output when using DBLpal, it's much higher. I know in my startup sequence I had a line saying to invoke VGA only but I have since commented this out and also removed the driver, but I still get that crazy frequency.

I will copy the drivers from 3.1.4 and try them on my usual ClassicWB3.1 drive and see if it makes a difference.

***edit***

I have checked the DBLpal driver version with ClassicWb3.1, it is v39.28

The version with OS3.1.4 is v45.5 so I will swap as soon as I can and report back.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 02 July 2021 at 10:56.
Old 02 July 2021, 13:49   #393
rabidgerry

so yes the DBLPal driver v45.5 works.

However I can only use @Shaytans settings. When I try to adjust my own settings to suit 640x512 I still get a black screen! Your settings look insanely bright and the black is no longer black really more of a grey on my monitor. Tried to match my own settings but still aint the same. Weird.

Still have these awful vertical lines as well but some progress has been made, at least the mystery has been cleared up regarding the DBLPal driver.
Old 02 July 2021, 14:39   #394
Shaytan

Quote:
so yes the DBLPal driver v45.5 works.

However I can only use @Shaytans settings. When I try to adjust my own settings to suit 640x512 I still get a black screen! Your settings look insanely bright and the black is no longer black really more of a grey on my monitor. Tried to match my own settings but still aint the same. Weird.

Still have these awful vertical lines as well but some progress has been made, at least the mystery has been cleared up regarding the DBLPal driver.
Actually it could be related to the gain in my profile, try to reduce its value and the brightness should be reduced aswell.
You can find the setting in Video in proc/Pre-ADC Gain
Old 02 July 2021, 16:33   #395
rabidgerry

Yes your gain was at 14 where as mine was at 8. But when I lower your settings to 8 it looks too dull so I am forced to push it up a bit more.

Any ideas about the vertical lines?

I have the same shitty problem from before now where the games are all off to the side.

How I cured this before was created OSSC settings to match Hi-res Pal (640x256) then when I checked overscan, everything was off centre so I fixed that and games displayed in the centre.

However using 640x512 DBLPal, the overscan settings are already in the centre so I can fix this for games
Old 02 July 2021, 17:24   #396
Shaytan

Quote:
Yes your gain was at 14 where as mine was at 8. But when I lower your settings to 8 it looks too dull so I am forced to push it up a bit more.

Any ideas about the vertical lines?

I have the same shitty problem from before now where the games are all off to the side.

How I cured this before was created OSSC settings to match Hi-res Pal (640x256) then when I checked overscan, everything was off centre so I fixed that and games displayed in the centre.

However using 640x512 DBLPal, the overscan settings are already in the centre so I can fix this for games
Majority of games run in standard PAL resolutions, so you have to manually dial the settings in the Advanced timing tweaker menu.

Having PAL and DblPAL different vertical resolutions (240/288p vs 576p) you can use the same profile.
The OSSC will automatically switch to the correct settings as soon as it synchs.

EDIT: Basically you have to combine mine DblPAL settings with your PAL settings
Old 02 July 2021, 17:32   #397
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaytan View Post
Majority of games run in standard PAL resolutions, so you have to manually dial the settings in the Advanced timing tweaker menu.

Having PAL and DblPAL different vertical resolutions (240/288p vs 576p) you can use the same profile.
The OSSC will automatically switch to the correct settings as soon as it synchs.

EDIT: Basically you have to combine mine DblPAL settings with your PAL settings
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What? How can I do this? That is confusing. It did it automatically before.

Why does my setting for WB in Pal Hi-Res work and allow games to display correctly?

***edit*** actually I think I understand, when a game go sort the settings out for it in the Advanced section ok NP
Old 02 July 2021, 17:42   #398
Shaytan

Quote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What? How can I do this? That is confusing. It did it automatically before.

Why does my setting for WB in Pal Hi-Res work and allow games to display correctly?
Because for the OSSC games (320x256) and PAL Hi-res (640x256) are the same (288p).

Try this: When you have your DblPAL screen displayed correctly by the OSSC, change your screen mode to standard PAL hi-res, go to the Advanced timing tweaker menu and input your value.
To center the screen don't use the overscan prefs, just use Horizontal and Vertical backporch if needed.

Once done save the profile, you'll see that if you change back to DblPAL the OSSC will use the correct settings and if you fire up a game it will use your PAL settings automatically.
Old 02 July 2021, 21:29   #399
rabidgerry

ok forget I spoke! I dunno how this happened but basically the saved profile I had that was the 2nd profile you had sent me, some how the 576p mode was set to pass thru and when I put it into 2x mode I get a black screen again. It only works with when pass thru is on. I dunno how I modified your settings to be like that but the bottomline is, it still doesn't work. I dunno how pass thru mode works as the settings still affect it. Either I have a faulty OSSC or it's a piece of crap.

Pretty much had it with the OSSC.
Old 03 July 2021, 10:36   #400
Shaytan

Quote:
ok forget I spoke! I dunno how this happened but basically the saved profile I had that was the 2nd profile you had sent me, some how the 576p mode was set to pass thru and when I put it into 2x mode I get a black screen again. It only works with when pass thru is on. I dunno how I modified your settings to be like that but the bottomline is, it still doesn't work. I dunno how pass thru mode works as the settings still affect it. Either I have a faulty OSSC or it's a piece of crap.

Pretty much had it with the OSSC.
I'm still thinking that the OSSC doesn't like your monitor...