English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 28 April 2021, 20:43   #1
Overmann

Best wargame for the Amiga

Hi,
In the last 10 years or so I've been getting into tabletop wargames and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some really great, groggy Amiga wargames.
I see that there were three Gary Grigsby designs published on the Amiga (Typhoon of Steel, Second Front and Overrun!). Those might be good places to start, but they all look very 8-bit'y. I'm thinking there must be something a bit prettier on the Amiga.

Some tabletop favourites, just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for, include Combat Commander: Europe, Space Empires 4X, Redvers Reverse, Fighting formations, Wilderness War, The Hunters, Unconditional Surrender, Talon, Red Winter, Tank Duel, The U.S Civil War.

Last edited by Overmann; 28 April 2021 at 21:21.
Old 28 April 2021, 22:09   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Battle Isle and Historyline 1914-1918 are better looking than most on the Amiga.

Old 28 April 2021, 23:42   #3
Overmann

Thank you Cody. Yeah, those are fun games. But not as grognard'y as I was hoping for. This does remind me that I need to replay those bluebyte classics however
Old 28 April 2021, 23:53   #4
wiz12

If you're looking for a tongue in cheek game then try Nuclear War.
Old 29 April 2021, 00:15   #5
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
If you're looking for a tongue in cheek game then try Nuclear War.

No, that's absolutely not what I'm looking for
Old 29 April 2021, 01:31   #6
Seiya

maybe you search something D-day?
Old 29 April 2021, 05:22   #7
Matt_H

A couple from Koei:
Bandit Kings of Ancient China
Nobunaga's Ambition

They were way too complex for my tastes, but maybe they're what you're looking for?
Old 29 April 2021, 08:08   #8
Overmann

@Seiya and @Matt_H, yes these are more like it. Have you played D-Day, Seiya? I remember almost buying that back when I was a kid, but ended up with Rise of the Robots instead. :F
HOL and Lemon make finding these boardgame-like wargames fairly easy, but getting some reccomendations from gamers who've played them isn't that simple. I guess this wasn't a super popular genre back in the day.
Have you tried D-Day @Seiya?
Old 29 April 2021, 12:51   #9
Seiya

i not like in general, Strategy War games, but in these days i try some 8 bit strategy games and i very quickly try this D-Day isn't bad also because it has an Arena for battles where you can choose to manual battles or auto-play. Of course i think that next days i want to play more deeply with D-Day even if i tend to boring very soon in these games :P

in these days also i was looking for some vintage WW2 Strategy games if some of them have some battle where i can watch like spectator or have some animations 2D or 3D to complete similar to Fields of Battle
Old 29 April 2021, 13:11   #10
dreadnought

In my last year with Amiga I ended up playing MechForce obsessively. It's not a great looking game and deals with sci-fi mech combat, but is about as groggy as you can get, and also immensely replayable.

Another in-depth sci fi classic is of course the good ol' Laser Squad.

As for Earth-bound conflicts, there is Harpoon, one of the most revered combat sims ever.
Old 29 April 2021, 15:27   #11
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
In my last year with Amiga I ended up playing MechForce obsessively. It's not a great looking game and deals with sci-fi mech combat, but is about as groggy as you can get, and also immensely replayable.

Another in-depth sci fi classic is of course the good ol' Laser Squad.

As for Earth-bound conflicts, there is Harpoon, one of the most revered combat sims ever.

Mechforce looks pretty good! I've not played it or harpoon for that matter. I'll give them both a try. I've played quite a bit of laser squad however. Cool game, but not really the kind of game that I'm looking for. I wish there was an Advanced Squad Leader-type game for the amiga, like Close Combat on the PC, or a grand strategy wargame like Gary Grigsby's war in the east/west etc. Well, there are ofcourse, but are they any good? :P I don't have time to start trying them all as learing a wargame is quite time-consuming. Which is why I'm asking for recommendations, really!

I will check out Mechforce and Harpoon
Old 29 April 2021, 15:51   #12
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
I wish there was an Advanced Squad Leader-type game for the amiga, like Close Combat on the PC, or a grand strategy wargame like Gary Grigsby's war in the east/west etc. Well, there are ofcourse, but are they any good? :P I don't have time to start trying them all as learing a wargame is quite time-consuming.
You could try reading the mag reviews on HOL, eg 'Nam 1965-1975 sounds like a good bet judging by the scores: http://hol.abime.net/937/review

I love strategy games but more on a squad level, and most of these grand ones are, well, grand (battalions, divisions, etc)

I'm actually about to take a plunge with the Harpoon myself, it was a bit too serious for me back then but so many people recommend it as "real" war, not just a wargame, so I have to try.
Old 29 April 2021, 16:03   #13
Seiya

however, from my pov, D-Day is very very difficult. I can move my unit, enter in battles that are also nice to view, but i think that have so much option that a real lover of Strategy Games will appreciate it so much. Very Slow on standard Amiga.
Old 29 April 2021, 17:45   #14
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
You could try reading the mag reviews on HOL, eg 'Nam 1965-1975 sounds like a good bet judging by the scores: http://hol.abime.net/937/review

I love strategy games but more on a squad level, and most of these grand ones are, well, grand (battalions, divisions, etc)

I'm actually about to take a plunge with the Harpoon myself, it was a bit too serious for me back then but so many people recommend it as "real" war, not just a wargame, so I have to try.

Yeah, NAM looks like it might be a good fit. I've actually gravitated more towards the squad-games too, and only gone in to grander types (tabletop) recently, and then not the really heavy ones. I thought that a computer game might be a good fit for grander games (as there is quite a bit of bookkeeping). However, squad-level is absolutely interesting.

I'm dreaming of one day making an amiga-version of Combat Commander. I just have to learn to program for the Amiga first, and I've only just started programming for newer systems.
Old 29 April 2021, 18:21   #15
Aardvark

Panzer General is my all time favourite. Works on a beefy amiga with Shapeshifter/Fusion.
Old 29 April 2021, 20:57   #16
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Panzer General is my all time favourite. Works on a beefy amiga with Shapeshifter/Fusion.

That's an interesting recommendation. I have a beefy Amiga with shapeshifter set up, and I love having all that mid/late 90s apple software available. I didn't think to look for wargames there though. However, it does take away from the whole "best wargame for the Amiga"-part of it
Old 29 April 2021, 21:59   #17
Seiya

of course it depends also what scenario you search. However from your example you like Word War 1 and 2, modern e space.
I prefere with very few orders option also to have fun and see very soon my settings. Others are very complex and you need so much time to start to undertand what to do.
Old 29 April 2021, 22:04   #18
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
of course it depends also what scenario you search. However from your example you like Word War 1 and 2, modern e space.

Yeah, I'm perfectly happy with any era, any scale, fact or fiction. The examples just happen to be some of my favourite boardgames. But that has to do with mechanics and ease of play more then era, theme or scale.