Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 April 2020, 20:38   #1
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Amiga - the unanswered questions

Covid isolation boredom has kicked in.

What do we not know about the Amiga?
What software is missing? What games are we still looking for? Is there any piece of hardware that is still a dark mystery?

I’d love to see another Putty Squad type quest. Or perhaps another “stinking illiterate peasant” puzzle. Those days were amazing!
Old 03 April 2020, 20:49   #2
spudje

If you're that bored. Read this forum from beginning till end, and I'm sure your questions will be answered... :P
Old 03 April 2020, 21:44   #3
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
What do we not know about the Amiga?
What software is missing? What games are we still looking for? Is there any piece of hardware that is still a dark mystery?
I would love more point'n'click adventure games.
I would love a new version of ProTracker with some nice, modern shortcuts (ctrl+Z/V/S/etc).
Old 03 April 2020, 22:15   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
If you're that bored. Read this forum from beginning till end, and I'm sure your questions will be answered... :P
Ouch I’ve read most of it since 2006...
Old 03 April 2020, 23:05   #5
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Ouch I’ve read most of it since 2006...
That still leaves the 5 years between 2001 and 2006
Old 04 April 2020, 00:09   #6
AlphaAmiga

I would love to know whats happened to all assest/source code for games that were being worked on by certain companies before they left the Amiga scene or folded.

One example is Pagan Games game called 'Dafel Bloodline' which I thought looked really interesting, as well as their proposed games called 'Scavengers' and 'MagicK'.

Their are probably loads of other games from early 2000's that I could rattle off (if I could remember them).

If the coders still had the sources I have always wondered if they would upload them somewhere for someone to pick up where they left off, that would be fantastic!
Old 04 April 2020, 11:55   #7
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaAmiga View Post
I would love to know whats happened to all assest/source code for games that were being worked on by certain companies before they left the Amiga scene or folded.

If the coders still had the sources I have always wondered if they would upload them somewhere for someone to pick up where they left off, that would be fantastic!
THIS.

There's plenty of unfinished / unreleased / lost forever stuff out there! It would be great to pick them up from where they were left to rot and see what happens...
Old 04 April 2020, 12:17   #8
AlphaAmiga

Is their a list anywhere (comprehensive or not) of games that were supposed to being worked on from this period that just seemed to dissappear?

Would love to pull something together that the community could investigate on and see if assest/source code is still available and take it from their.

You never know if they are still around it might spark a it of interest from some of the old coders to do something with their old stuff, you just never know till you try.
Old 04 April 2020, 12:23   #9
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Is their a list anywhere (comprehensive or not) of games that were supposed to being worked on from this period that just seemed to dissappear?

Would love to pull something together that the community could investigate on and see if assest/source code is still available and take it from their.

You never know if they are still around it might spark a it of interest from some of the old coders to do something with their old stuff, you just never know till you try.
Amiga Games That Weren't fits your description I believe:
http://www.abime.net/agtw/list
Old 04 April 2020, 12:52   #10
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Okay I have one for you. Although I'm not bored or in lockdown! I still go to work and go outside and live my life as normal. I know enough now to not fear what the mainstream media tell me. Anyway rant over.

I'd like to know where the game 'The Viking Saga' is located. The developer himself mentions it on page 186 of Amiga Format issue 58. His name is Lee Bamber from Wigan. The game doesn't even appear on HOL. Anyone heard of this? Apparently it is by Deja-vu.

I also found it listed in the Amiga Format Buyers Guide from 1994. It's a licenseware game which could only be acquired by mail-order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	viking_saga_amiga_format_buyers_guide_1994.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	66689  

Last edited by Steve; 04 April 2020 at 13:10.
Old 04 April 2020, 12:59   #11
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

What interests me most is whether there are any undiscovered hardware prototypes out there somewhere in the world, either Commodore, Amiga Technologies, or 3rd party. I know that the BBOAH contains a lot of things like the Walker, but are we confident we know about everything and have found everything?
Old 04 April 2020, 13:36   #12
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@Steve:

Yes, while it seems most commercial and PD software is preserved, a lot of licenceware software, especially Deja Vu Licenceware, seem to have disappeared into the abyss :-(
Old 04 April 2020, 14:10   #13
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Also look on HOL filtering unreleased.

...and these 2 threads on EAB:
Old 04 April 2020, 14:41   #14
skyzoo73

It would be nice for someone to think of the great classics, such as Monkey Island and partially remake the game by converting the 256-color screens for aga machines.
Old 04 April 2020, 15:38   #15
djukon

There are still several fully scanned Amiga Power issues awaiting archival (later issues).
Old 12 May 2020, 19:33   #16
robben74

What I do not know about Amiga is why it was abandoned.

I mean many of best Amiga games belong to a genre that today is totally absent. So there arent "better technical alternatives": Amiga still offer the best in that genres.

I am thinking - for example - about point and click adventures like Lucas'. I think that they would be very cheap to produce today. They could go on producing forever.

There are people still playing Sensible World of Soccer after 30 years. Too bad most of the people think that whats old has to be trashed.
Old 13 May 2020, 08:39   #17
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Point n click are still being produced, look at Steam. Although the last really big one I remember is Broken Sword saga.
Old 13 May 2020, 11:07   #18
ruinashiro

I've always thought a game using the B&W composite out would be great: you can do 256 shades through HAM and get around a lot of the negatives of that color format.
Old 13 May 2020, 13:38   #19
NorthWay

Were the contents of the C= fileservers saved? Not thinking of the source code, but all kinds of docs and things like vdhl/verilog code and similar.
Old 13 May 2020, 13:51   #20
Biscuit
Baked Produce

My first thought was also to see the preview versions of games that were unreleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Also look on HOL filtering unreleased.

...and these 2 threads on EAB:
And there is still stuff missing from there. Like like Cinemaware/Mirrorsoft game Rollerbabes.
https://lostmediawiki.com/Rollerbabe...ion_game;_1991)